Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Solar power, yeah, that's the ticket

Emerging Solar Plants Scorch Birds in Mid-Air

IVANPAH DRY LAKE, Calif. — Aug 18, 2014, 2:15 PM ET
    By ELLEN KNICKMEYER and JOHN LOCHER Associated Press

Workers at a state-of-the-art solar plant in the Mojave Desert have a name for birds that fly through the plant's concentrated sun rays — "streamers," for the smoke plume that comes from birds that ignite in midair.
    Federal wildlife investigators who visited the BrightSource Energy plant last year and watched as birds burned and fell, reporting an average of one "streamer" every two minutes, are urging California officials to halt the operator's application to build a still-bigger version.
    The investigators want the halt until the full extent of the deaths can be assessed. Estimates per year now range from a low of about a thousand by BrightSource to 28,000 by an expert for the Center for Biological Diversity environmental group.
    The deaths are "alarming. It's hard to say whether that's the location or the technology," said Garry George, renewable-energy director for the California chapter of the Audubon Society. "There needs to be some caution."
    The bird kills mark the latest instance in which the quest for clean energy sometimes has inadvertent environmental harm. Solar farms have been criticized for their impacts on desert tortoises, and wind farms have killed birds, including numerous raptors.
    "We take this issue very seriously," said Jeff Holland, a spokesman for NRG Solar of Carlsbad, California, the second of the three companies behind the plant. The third, Google, deferred comment to its partners.
    The $2.2 billion plant, which launched in February, is at Ivanpah Dry Lake near the California-Nevada border. The operator says it's the world's biggest plant to employ so-called power towers.
    More than 300,000 mirrors, each the size of a garage door, reflect solar rays onto three boiler towers each looming up to 40 stories high. The water inside is heated to produce steam, which turns turbines that generate enough electricity for 140,000 homes.
    Sun rays sent up by the field of mirrors are bright enough to dazzle pilots flying in and out of Las Vegas and Los Angeles.
    Federal wildlife officials said Ivanpah might act as a "mega-trap" for wildlife, with the bright light of the plant attracting insects, which in turn attract insect-eating birds that fly to their death in the intensely focused light rays.
    Federal and state biologists call the number of deaths significant, based on sightings of birds getting singed and falling, and on retrieval of carcasses with feathers charred too severely for flight.
    Ivanpah officials dispute the source of the so-called streamers, saying at least some of the puffs of smoke mark insects and bits of airborne trash being ignited by the solar rays.
    Wildlife officials who witnessed the phenomena say many of the clouds of smoke were too big to come from anything but a bird, and they add that they saw "birds entering the solar flux and igniting, consequently become a streamer."
    U.S. Fish and Wildlife officials say they want a death toll for a full year of operation.
    Given the apparent scale of bird deaths at Ivanpah, authorities should thoroughly track bird kills there for a year, including during annual migratory seasons, before granting any more permits for that kind of solar technology, said George, of the Audubon Society.
    The toll on birds has been surprising, said Robert Weisenmiller, chairman of the California Energy Commission. "We didn't see a lot of impact" on birds at the first, smaller power towers in the U.S. and Europe, Weisenmiller said.

"I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Re: Solar power, yeah, that's the ticket

4 an 20 Black birds baked in a pie.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

YEah, they also get an Obammy pass for killing eagles, bald eagles and other birds of prey.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

I just love my $18 electric bill.

Last month. This month. Next month.

15 panels.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Who needs those pesky birds getting in the way of cheap electricity.

Bunch of beggars anyway, showing up at bird feeders looking for free handouts.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Not to mention that in Oklahoma if you generate excess power you have to pay O.G.&E. for using your electricity.

http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-dumbest...111300623.html

Stan
    T***s is the Kim Kardashian of college football. Hardly as attractive as she thinks and has never done a thing to justify all the fame. They chase the money in much the same way. The 'horns are a legend in their own mind. Texas destroyed the SWC and is currently sucking the life out of the Big 12.

Stolen from Sabanball

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerstan56 View Post
    Not to mention that in Oklahoma if you generate excess power you have to pay O.G.&E. for using your electricity.

Stan
    it's good to have lawmakers in your pocket

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    it's good to have lawmakers in your pocket
    It's even better that our electricity rates get to pay for those (so called) lawmakers.

Stan
    T***s is the Kim Kardashian of college football. Hardly as attractive as she thinks and has never done a thing to justify all the fame. They chase the money in much the same way. The 'horns are a legend in their own mind. Texas destroyed the SWC and is currently sucking the life out of the Big 12.

Stolen from Sabanball

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 5-0 View Post
    I just love my $18 electric bill.

Last month. This month. Next month.

15 panels.

5-0
    I know we've discussed this some. But do you have just the panels or did you do the storage batteries also
    Can ya post some Pics of the set up and how its hooked into yer shack?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

vCash

I have 15 panels running into 3 converters that go to the line out on the street. The power is sent to HECO (Hawaiian Electric Co.). They keep the excess energy I produce and charge me $18 per month, which probably includes stuff they do on their end of the line as well as paperwork.

I'm still 'on the grid' with no batteries for storage. There's probably some folks on the Big Island that are off the grid tho.

I looked around and chose a company that does quality work. Good panels and good installation. They aren't rented. I own them. Warranty 25 years.

http://www.revolusun.com/

This won't help ya much. This company isn't nationwide. There's a lot of solar companies out there tho. Some are probably better than others.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

So you just produce and put it on them then ya use what ya need off their grid?
    What that cost and how long to recover the cost?
    If ya dont mind

vCash

Yes, essentially I'm producing electricity for HECO.

The initial cost was $36K.

With the federal and state tax credits it dropped to $12K.

'Sposed to pay for itself in another 4 years, estimate.

Of course, as has been mentioned, Oklahoma has now stacked the deck against solar. Possibly you could avoid that if off the grid.

Meanwhile I still enjoy the $18/month bill and it'll be a good selling feature if/when I sell.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Sooner Benchwarmer IGotNoTiming's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerstan56 View Post

Stan
    If you aren't using our product then **** you. That is truly remarkable.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Yes, essentially I'm producing electricity for HECO.

The initial cost was $36K.

With the federal and state tax credits it dropped to $12K.

'Sposed to pay for itself in another 4 years, estimate.

Of course, as has been mentioned, Oklahoma has now stacked the deck against solar. Possibly you could avoid that if off the grid.

Meanwhile I still enjoy the $18/month bill and it'll be a good selling feature if/when I sell.

5-0
    How many hell storms have they indured?

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Imma guessing you mean hurricanes?

We've had some near misses, no direct hits.

I was very happy with the installation of the panels to the roof. Very professional. Honestly they've never been tested by truly excessive winds.

How many direct hits by tornadoes have you endured? Do you live in a steel reinforced concrete house under the ground? Why not?

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

Imma guessing you mean hurricanes?

We've had some near misses, no direct hits.

I was very happy with the installation of the panels to the roof. Very professional. Honestly they've never been tested by truly excessive winds.

How many direct hits by tornadoes have you endured? Do you live in a steel reinforced concrete house under the ground? Why not?

5-0
    Hail storms. How many?

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    Hail storms. How many?
    Do they get Hail in Howarya?

vCash

Hail in Hawaii is like going to the bull decorating event at the rodeo.

If anything was to mess up the panels it would be a hurricane. Hail has happened but it's very rare, pea-sized, with minimal damage to anything.

Why doesn't everyone in Oklahoma live underground? It would be safer.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

http://www.solaramerica.org/installers/

Folks that can help those that are truly interested.

5-0
    Last edited by hawaii 5-0; 9/3/2014 at 10:55 AM.
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

Hail in Hawaii is like going to the bull decorating event at the rodeo.

If anything was to mess up the panels it would be a hurricane. Hail has happened but it's very rare, pea-sized, with minimal damage to anything.

Why doesn't everyone in Oklahoma live underground? It would be safer.

5-0
    The point of my question was hat we have hail storms every other two or three year or sometimes every year that warrants roof replacement. How well would these hold up? Would your insurance go up drastically? Would your insurance tell you to **** off? I've seen a few small wind mills in peeps back yards. That might be somp'n I'd be interested in. Add in a string of batteries and maybe a DC converter. Need to dig a little deeper into that.

OleVet Posse Instigator