Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Fox dumps Fox College Saturday -- their live Saturday AM programming.

I was reading these articles from Awfulannouncing.com, and it appears that Fox won't/can't compete with GameDay this year, after trying to compete with GameDay for only one year. (I guess their Sat AM CFB program last year was a ratings disaster). Instead they're moving their live CFB program to late Fri Night (Midnight eastern time) and will replay segments on Sat morning.
    http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/fox-...game-show.html
    http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/fox-...game-show.html

also "10 Questions for Year 2 of Fox Sports 1" which is on the same website. (I haven't watched FS-1 in forever and didn't even know they were still on the air, we don't have FS-2)

Some quotes from the articles.

"Much was made of the decision by Fox Sports 1 to cancel the heavily hyped Fox College Saturday after just one year. Erin Andrews is back to sideline reporting full-time and the network is basically starting over with their college football coverage.

"Fox Sports 1 worked hard to try to challenge ESPN directly with their college football lineup, from game broadcasts to the studio. Their package (albeit airing a much larger package of games that included less desirable conferences)"

"With FOX Sports also holding an expansive rights package for games this season
    , " Huh, I just looked at the CFB TV schedule thru Sept of this year, and it appears that the ESPN/ABC match-ups are beating Fox like a "rented mule"--at least thru September. It also appears ESPiN wants nothing to do with the Whorns and are basically giving their games to Fox.

Fox's marquee CFB games are

Rutgers at Wazu,CU/CSU,N Dakota St at Iowa State, Wofford at Ga Tech, Central Arkansas at Texas Tech, Samford at TCU, Fresno at USCw, SMU at Baylor, Arizona at U-Texas San Antonio, K-State at Iowa St, UAB at Miss State, Michigan State at Oregon, BYU at Texas, The Citadel at Florida St., Northwestern St. at Baylor, T-Tech at UTEP, Kansas at Duke, Minnesota at TCU, Texas/UCLA, UCLA at Az. State,

Their possibly big match-ups (imo) are CU/CSU, Fresno at USCw, Michigan St/Oregon, BYU/Texas, Minnesota at TCU, Texas/UCLA and UCLA/Az, State, which are possibly 7 decent matchups thru September, with only M.State/Oregon and UCLA/Texas being really big, and include no OU games other than the PPV opener vs La Tech. (Fox will probably get the OU/W Va matchup on Sept 20 unless W Va upsets the Tide, then gfl with them getting the OU/W Va game.

ESPN/ABC big match-ups in Sept. include Boise St./Ole Miss, Alabama/W. Va, Cal/Northwestern (not Northwestern State), Clemson/Georgia, Florida St/ Stool St, LSU vs Wisky, OU/Tulsa, USC/Stanford, Arkansas/Texas Tech, Iowa St/Iowa, Tennessee/OU, USCw/BC, Auburn/K-State, Miami/Nebraska, (lots of tv matchups on 9/27 aren't decided yet. (excludes their SEC Network games of Arkie/Auburn and aTm/USCe)

It's easy to tell why Fox's Sat AM studio show failed, they just don't have the quality CFB match-ups to follow it on Saturdays. They've got a pretty good line-up of commentators/analysts too with Brando, Joel Klatt, Petro, Feldman, Mandel, and Erin, although they should probably just send her to the kitchen to make sandwiches and give out pro-biotics. (I think that Clay Travis is the di*k that dumped on Stoops though--said something like he would always bet against Bob in any games where the opposition has a quality coaching staff).
    Also their FCS programming is still showing basketball, baseball, wraslin, tiddle-d-winks, etc and their cable college network (Fox College Sports Pacific/Midwest/Atlantic) just started showing FB games, although their matchups are usually E Popcorn St. vs Directional U. They also don't have nearly as much Sooner/Big 12-4+2 CFB programming as last year (imo). Perhaps it will increase during CFB season. The Big, PAC-12, and SEC have 100 times more exposure on cable/sat TV than the Big 12 does, imo.

I think the B1G (Big 10 network) comes up for bid in 2016. Depending on how their SEC network performs, I also think Disney will throw a lot money at the B1G to try and steal Fox's ~50% share and to soothe the old feelings with the Big 10 (when ESPiN tried to low-ball them). Just look at the B1G, less than big match-ups, that ESPiN/ABC will carry in September. If that happens, that'll leave Fox with even less of the quality CFB games than they have now, which is just basically the left-overs.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Fox dumps Fox College Saturday -- their live Saturday AM programming.

Frankly, once you have the games, you could have a posse of pet mice doing the voice work. None I've seen in years seem to know what sport they're announcing or to have done any homework regarding player's names or team background/history.

Other than trying to get in game explanations on nonsensical penalty calls, they're useless.

Just spend the money on buying games.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I was kinda hoping Fox would give ESPN some competition. Especially given their contract w/ the B12. Looks like Fox blinked first though. Fail.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

ESPN's morning show sucks for the most part, but they have several things going for them based on longevity:
    1- Live from a college campus site. The signs, the chants, the cheering/booing is all fun to watch
    2- Lee Corso's mascot head. It's silly to tune in and watch for a mascot head, but people do it anyway
    3- Celebrity/coach interviews on site. OMG Blake Griffin picks OU to beat Texas... but it's still cool to see Blake talk football.

Fox didn't do anything comparable. Studio yacking is boring

Administrator
    vCash

That's the best news I've heard today.

Their morning college football show was terrible.

I really like College Gameday. If I'm going to watch anything before the games start, it's CGD. Corso is getting a little spotty, but I've always liked the rest of the guys.

Fox never really had a chance.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I'm thinking a Lee Corso, Lou Holtz head-to-head thing in which we watch them eat soup with their hands and nod off. They could compete in opening pill bottles and trying to figure out their meds, attempt to work a cell phone/remote, puzzle their way through a touch screen...the possibilities are endless!
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    I'm thinking a Lee Corso, Lou Holtz head-to-head thing in which we watch them eat soup with their hands and nod off. They could compete in opening pill bottles and trying to figure out their meds, attempt to work a cell phone/remote, puzzle their way through a touch screen...the possibilities are endless!
    LMAO, that's funny, just thinking about it....

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    You're on to something!

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I want all of the recent fired coaches to assemble and talk sh!t with each other, especially about the programs they were recently fired from.

The possibilities are endless... unless they are thinking of working in the profession again.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I want all of the recent fired coaches to assemble and talk sh!t with each other, especially about the programs they were recently fired from.

The possibilities are endless... unless they are thinking of working in the profession again.
    Most of the retired coaches suck as television personalities. However, if/when Steve Spurrier decides to do TV, I'll be all over that.

vCash

All I know is I'm not watching anything John Gruden is part of.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.