Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Re: This just said about Joe Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeebrewer View Post
    This doesn't even make sense. David Boren has been a US Senator and a longtime President of the University of Oklahoma. At his age, what further possible ambitions could he have at this point in his life? Furthermore, his job is to do what's best for the University, not just the football team. Of course he wants OU to win football games, but with integrity. He, Joe C. and Coach Stoops have seen the video and it will be released to the public at some point. I have to believe it's very damning for the punishment to be this severe...
    Boren has become a PC babbling idiot and a megalomaniac leader. All he wants is a place in history and memories like Cross. After what he did to The Pride, I will not support him or donate to the University until he leaves.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    You completely missed the point of my post.

I didn't know, nor cared what your son did. It is called an illustration to demonstrate what I am trying to argue.
    I didn't miss your point. I dismissed it...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Anyone that thinks Boren isn't a football fan needs to remember how berserk he went after the Oregon game. Does a university president typically refer to the result of a football game as "an
    outrageous injustice" and then call that phrase "an understatement?"

I mean, we were all upset, but wow. This was almost on the level of calling a "snow day" after 63-14 in 2000. Hey students! No school Monday because we won a football game! Um, what???

Boren has also gone to bat for the team when the entire 2005 season wins were vacated due to Bomar/Quinn. The wins were reinstated.

Cliff's Notes version: Boren is a football fan.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    ...I would go so far as to say Boren's actions have a much greater chance of harming the football program by throwing a guy under the bus who hasn't even been convicted of a crime (or specified team rules as far as we know.

It's not a matter of rights. In this country we have rights to do all sorts of things but that doesn't mean it's something you necessarily want to do. If the Administration would have just been hands off, this whole thing would have had a short shelf life as the media moves on to the next shiny object and we have another 5 star recruit on the football field. If we expect to keep stocking the shelves with NC Trophies we need every big play guy we can get out there on the field. Trust me the SEC will do what it takes to keep putting winning teams on the field so unless players are in violations of rules that will directly impact the team (NCAA Violations) then they need to be out there on the field.
    Well said. Mixon's penalty was excessive.

However, regardless of whatever punishment he received, the Media will once again go into mouth-frothing mode when the video is made public.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Anyone that thinks Boren isn't a football fan needs to remember how berserk he went after the Oregon game. Does a university president typically refer to the result of a football game as "an
    outrageous injustice" and then call that phrase "an understatement?"

I mean, we were all upset, but wow. This was almost on the level of calling a "snow day" after 63-14 in 2000. Hey students! No school Monday because we won a football game! Um, what???

Boren has also gone to bat for the team when the entire 2005 season wins were vacated due to Bomar/Quinn. The wins were reinstated.

Cliff's Notes version: Boren is a football fan.
    When I was a UG at OU, we always got the Monday off after a victory over saxet
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    You graduated in 2000 didn't you

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    When I was UG at OU, we never beat saxet

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    When I was UG at OU, we never beat saxet
    When I was a UG at OU, I always got Monday off to recover from all the partying. Not sure if classes were happening though.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    When I was a UG at OU, I always got Monday off to recover from all the partying. Not sure if classes were happening though.
    When I was an UG at OU, I didn't know they had class on Mondays.

I didn't miss your point. I dismissed it...
    lol.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    2.If this tape is so apparently terrible, why hasn't anyone outside of a handful of individuals seen it? If the injuries to Molitar were so bad, how come we have absolutely no information on the extent of her injuries?
    Regarding the tape, initially I was in your corner, I thought the tape would largely exonerate Mixon. Now, I'm worried the DA, et al, is trying to keep the tape covered up because he's worried about the damage it would do to Mixon's reputation/career. Regarding details on her injuries -- yes, I'd like to know a little more about that. As far as I can tell, all we are going on is what she claims. Gotta hope the PD/DA have more than that, but based on my experiences with Norman Police back in the day -- I don't have much faith in that.
    Nebraska and Oklahoma made up one of the greatest college football rivalries of all time. They played every year between 1928-97, and two times every four years since then. Their games in the Big Eight decided the conference championship 16 of 19 times between 1970-88. OU leads the series 44-38-3. --The Associated Press, December 1, 2010

vCash

David Boren , Joe C. and Coach Stoops have seen the video and it will be released to the public at some point. I have to believe it's very damning for the punishment to be this severe...
    Do we know that for a fact? And if so, exactly what entitles the university president, athletic director and football coach to see it? This is being strictly withheld from the general public, but of course can be viewed by appropriate people involved in investigating or prosecuting the alleged incident, or defending the accused. What do these guys from OU have to do with it?

Think if it was an ordinary student. What if it had been me? Honestly, if Norman PD had run me in during my undergrad days, I wouldn't have been very happy if the OU president had been allowed to see the evidence. And Joe C and Bob?
    Nebraska and Oklahoma made up one of the greatest college football rivalries of all time. They played every year between 1928-97, and two times every four years since then. Their games in the Big Eight decided the conference championship 16 of 19 times between 1970-88. OU leads the series 44-38-3. --The Associated Press, December 1, 2010

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    David Boren has been very much pro-football during his tenure. He understands its importance to student recruiting, booster fundraising and bringing alumni closer to their alma mater.
    It might be PR, but when you think about it, who is the most important figure at OU? It's Stoops. Boren and Joe C aren't going to do something to tick him off, including laying Mixon suspension blame on Stoops even partially if he didn't want it to happen.
    Badj, David Boren has been strongly pro-OU football his whole life. When he was in the Senate, and the Sooners usually only played on radio, he would make a long-distance call to Oklahoma to listen to the radio broadcasts of the games.

Regarding the question of did Bob really approve of the punishment? This is a big enough deal that all three men could easily have agreed that to maintain the public integrity of the whole process and the university, the decision had to appear to be unanimous. I can easily envision Bob fighting like a dog for a lesser punishment, but once the decision came down, agreeing publicly to back it.

Did this happen? I have no idea, but it's definitely possible.

Sooner Starter Since71ASooner4Life's Avatar
    vCash

I've got one for all the conspiracy theorists .... start by asking ourselves, if we had to choose between one or the other, who would we bet was going to play a more integral role in OU willing the National championship this year - Mixon or DGB ? I think an overwhelming majority would agree that having DGB was far more critical.

Now we don't know that having DGB will in fact be an option, but let's assume our belief is reasonably strong that we will. So we've got a guy who is a potential superstar this year, and we want to be damn sure he's there all year long. But this is a guy who likes skating on thin ice, unless he's been scared enough that he's going to stay far away from the thin ice.

We have to punish Mixon - no way around that. There are varying degrees we can choose from, but in the end, his role this year is going to be reduced. Even if he gets a minimal punishment like a 4 game suspension, there's only so much productivity we could hope to get from him in the remaining games considering the late start. Putting aside the fact that a harsh punishment might mean he leaves entirely, in the end the severity of punishment doesn't make a huge difference to OU's NC chances this year. And some might think that a harsh punishment does him more good in the long run wherever he ends up or stays. (I'm in the camp of those who believe his actions were excessive, and I believe Stoops and all do too)

So maybe the harsh punishment this 5-star gets is thought to be beneficial in that it serves as a final reminder toward keeping the other 5-star who is thought to be a real difference maker this year away from the thin ice.

vCash

So maybe the harsh punishment this 5-star gets is thought to be beneficial in that it serves as a final reminder toward keeping the other 5-star who is thought to be a real difference maker this year away from the thin ice.
    I like the silver lining sentiment, but I think that's a stretch. From all accounts, DGB is very focused on the NFL and can't have any more incentive to stay inline than that. He's spending his 3rd year out of HS with a very good coaching staff that will help his draft status regardless of the waiver. I hope the team gets his services in return. But I think he is one of the least affected players by the Mixon decision - he has no real college alternatives at this point.

vCash

The witness reports should be in the public domain by now. Is the Norman PD not sophisticated enough to post those online?

Sooner Starter
    vCash

I wonder how come Joe didn't just stiff arm her and do that Heisman pose. A video of that would go viral...in a good way
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Barry's Back View Post
    Regarding the tape, initially I was in your corner, I thought the tape would largely exonerate Mixon. Now, I'm worried the DA, et al, is trying to keep the tape covered up because he's worried about the damage it would do to Mixon's reputation/career. Regarding details on her injuries -- yes, I'd like to know a little more about that. As far as I can tell, all we are going on is what she claims. Gotta hope the PD/DA have more than that, but based on my experiences with Norman Police back in the day -- I don't have much faith in that.
    why would you think that without seeing it?

Molitor is a student at OU, right? who is going to release her medical records? the school? the police? unless presents them, or they go to trial, it seems they would have to be leaked.

the fact is that if i was on the news for punching a co-ed at 2:30 in the morning on Campus Corner, i'd probably be fired from my job the next day. he's still in school. he's still probably pretty lucky here, and being coddled somewhat for being a 5-Star recruit on scholarship

vCash

I wonder how come Joe didn't just stiff arm her and do that Heisman pose. A video of that would go viral...in a good way
    No ... in a great way.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    why would you think that without seeing it?

Molitor is a student at OU, right? who is going to release her medical records? the school? the police? unless presents them, or they go to trial, it seems they would have to be leaked.

the fact is that if i was on the news for punching a co-ed at 2:30 in the morning on Campus Corner, i'd probably be fired from my job the next day. he's still in school. he's still probably pretty lucky here, and being coddled somewhat for being a 5-Star recruit on scholarship
    So just out of the blue he punched her?

Gotta love the consolidation taking place in this story where this seems to be the only pertinent fact now.