Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

Tennessee unhappy with quarterback play

Tennessee unhappy quarterback play through first week of fall camp
    By Graham Watson Dr. Saturday .

TUSCALOOSA, AL - OCTOBER 26:
    Tennessee’s passing game, which ranked 13th in the 14-team SEC last season, didn't get much better in the offseason.
    Coach Butch Jones lamented Friday about the inconsistent play of his quarterbacks Justin Worley, Joshua Dobbs and Nathan Peterman, and noted that if that position didn’t get better, it wouldn't spell good things for the Vols during the season.
    “We're not playing winning football at that position right now,” Jones said. “I'm always going to be brutally honest with you, and those three individuals need to step up. It's just an overall consistency in performance.”
    Quarterbacking plagued the Vols last season. Worley, Dobbs and Peterman all started one game last year and combined to throw 17 interceptions to just 12 touchdown passes. The quarterbacking corps were full of inconsistency, injury and just downright bad play.
    But the future was supposed to be promising, especially since Worley and Dobbs spent part of the offseason training with quarterback coach George Whitfield, who is famously known for turning Johnny Manziel from a nonstarter into a Heisman winner.
    No such fortune for the Vols’ quarterbacks who all struggled with consistency through the first week of fall camp. Jones said he counted 62 incompletions due to poor throws and noted that good teams have just “18 to 20 on the ground.”
    “I want them to come out and execute the offense with a level of consistency where we're making what I call the pitch-and-catch throws, the easy completions,” offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian said. ''We came out today and had a good day, but again, if nothing else, that's an illustration of the consistency that we need.
    “It's not good enough to have a subpar day yesterday and then come out today and have a great day. We need to perform at a high level day in and day out if we're going to be a great quarterback group.”
    In theory, quarterback should be a position of strength for the Vols because they’re returning players. As a team, Tennessee is undergoing a major overhaul this season with the Vols replacing almost half of their squad from a year ago. They signed 32 players, including 14 that enrolled early. Jones knew there would be some bumps in the road, but he was hoping it wouldn’t be from players that had already been in the program.
    Whoever does start will have some fine talent with which to work. Freshman receiver Josh Malone impressed in the spring game with six catches for 181 yards and three touchdowns. Sophomore Marquez North added five catches and 106 yards. Junior college transfer Von Pearson also showed some big-play ability during spring ball.
    Freshman running back Jalen Hurd had 93 yards and a touchdown on just 12 touches during the spring game and Jones noted during SEC media days that he’s become even more committed in the weight room.
    But all of this talent could become moot if Tennessee doesn’t find someone who can consistently distribute the ball.
    “Efficiency is what we're hunting — and we're not efficient right now at that position,” Jones said. “We're going to go back, we're going to refine it. But our passing game needs to take monumental strides the next couple of days and moving forward.”

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Tennessee unhappy with quarterback play

Striker licks his chops.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 DrZaius's Avatar
    vCash

Is this Tuscaloosa just being bammer fans and hating on Tennessee or are there real issues?

vCash
    I imagine they'll be even more unhappy on September 14th.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Tennessee...Tied for my 3rd most hated team:

1. Whorns
    2. Domers
    3. USuC, aTm, Tennessee
    Last edited by Curly Bill; 8/10/2014 at 03:15 PM.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DrZaius View Post
    Is this Tuscaloosa just being bammer fans and hating on Tennessee or are there real issues?
    They definitely have some major obstacles this year. They lost every starter on their offensive and defensive lines, and their starting QB.

I never like to assume OU will win (let alone blow a team out), but the game in Norman has the makings of a lopsided Sooner victory.

Tennessee opens the season against Utah State, and USU isn't a bad team. So, it could be a interesting opener for the Vols. They should win, but I think their inexperience will be a problem, especially against veteran offensive/defensive lines, like OU.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

All right, let's see if I can turn on my woman-doesn't-understand-sports mechanism to come up with some fun responses to this situation...

1. Quarterback is only one of 11 players on offense for a team, so why does it matter so much?
    2. Quarterbacks don't play defense so Tennessee is only half-screwed.
    3. Quarterbacks also don't play special teams. Teams can score by field goal instead of touchdown.

This is why SEC schedules cupcakes instead of Oklahomas

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I'm thinking Utah State will win a close one over UT is the way I'm seeing it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

The inexperience on both sides of their line has the potential to be devastating.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

If I'm not mistaken, Butch fudged the numbers to allow for bigger recruiting classes and as an end result, had to dump some existing scholly players through dismissals, transfers, or other means of attrition.

How else can you have a class of more than 30 if you can have no more than 85 on scholarship?

Well, perhaps that gray jersey that Tennessee recently introduced could also be called a gray shirt iffn ya know what I mean.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

here's more on Tennessee:

Inexperience, schedule could hamper Tennessee

By STEVE MEGARGEE (AP Sports Writer) AP - Sports

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee believes it's on the way to recapturing its former status as an perennial Southeastern Conference contender.
    There's no shortcuts in the SEC and the Volunteers still have far to go.
    This year's Tennessee team has more playmakers than the squad that went 5-7 in Butch Jones' debut season last fall, but it's much less experienced. The Vols also are facing a brutal schedule that includes trips to Oklahoma, Georgia, Ole Miss and South Carolina plus home games with Florida, Alabama and Missouri.
    That could make it difficult for Tennessee to end a string of four straight losing seasons.
    ''The culture is in place and the language is in place, but there is still more to earning that right to win,'' Tennessee coach Butch Jones said. ''It's not just hoping to win, but it's earning that right to win in your approach, team chemistry, leadership, your toughness or mental conditioning. It's players stepping up and making big-time plays.''
    Jones has stabilized Tennessee's program since his arrival last season. The Vols say it's only a matter of time before those efforts are rewarded. The first step is to earn a bowl bid, something that's eluded Tennessee since a 2010 Music City Bowl appearance.
    ''That's one of our main goals for our team - win a bowl game, not just get there,'' junior safety Brian Randolph said.
    Whether the Vols take that step this year likely depends on how quickly their 32 newcomers adjust to SEC football. Tennessee is relying heavily on a jumbo-sized recruiting class that was ranked among the top five in the nation by multiple services.
    ''This team's got a bright future,'' said running back Jalen Hurd, one of the most highly touted recruits in Tennessee's freshman class. ''We're working really hard. I think we're going to do well.''
    ---
    Here are five things to watch about Tennessee:
    QUARTERBACK COMPETITION: Tennessee still hasn't decided on a starting quarterback among senior Justin Worley and sophomores Joshua Dobbs and Nathan Peterman. Worley stared seven games, Dobbs made four starts and Peterman had one start last year. Tennessee needs more production from the quarterback position, as the three contenders combined for 16 interceptions and 12 touchdown passes last season.
    YOUNG LINES: Tennessee is the only Football Bowl Subdivision team that has no returning starters on both the offensive and defensive lines. Nobody on either line started more than three games last season. The situation is particularly concerning at offensive tackle. The likely starting right tackle is freshman Coleman Thomas. Jacob Gilliam, a former walk-on who was just put on scholarship this summer, is competing with junior-college transfer Dontavius Blair at left tackle.
    SPEED OVER SIZE: On defense, Tennessee is counting on its improved speed to make up for its diminished size as the Vols replace 361-pound tackle and sixth-round draft pick Daniel McCullers. Tennessee boosted its speed on defense with a variety of position switches that included moving Curt Maggitt from linebacker to end, shifting Jordan Williams from end to tackle and moving Devaun Swafford from nickelback to safety. Jalen Reeves-Maybin, who alternated between linebacker and safety last year, is now a full-time linebacker.
    KICKING CONCERNS: Jones has said the most valuable player of Tennessee's 2013 team was Michael Palardy, who kicked field goals, punted and handled kickoff duties for the Vols. Now that Palardy's completed his eligibility, the Vols must find new players to fill all those roles. Tennessee also must find a new long snapper and holder. Freshman Aaron Medley is competing with George Bullock and Derrick Brodus for the kicking job. Matt Darr appears to have the edge at punter.
    DEMANDING SCHEDULE: After opening the season with home games against Utah State and Arkansas State - two teams that won bowl games last year - Tennessee has consecutive matchups with Oklahoma, Georgia and Florida. Later in the season, Tennessee faces Ole Miss, Alabama and South Carolina in consecutive weeks.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 nanimonai's Avatar
    vCash

I specifically recall the internet forum doom and gloom in August, 2000 after one bad Heupel scrimmage.

Not to compare current Tennessee with that and it's a totally different situation but people read too much into these things. I know the coaches are taking this game seriously but the superstitious side of me gets really nervous when everyone gets a little too cocky over an upcoming game.
    clever signature