Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Re: No more feasting on cupcakes? Most major conference coaches want to only play pow

unfortunately I also think in 20ish yrs, futbol will be the new football.

Obviously, eye/foot coordination comes first, making it successful at a young age. The baseball coach at a small NAIA school that recruited my son was very concerned that we need to develop baseball again as "America's Game". Unfortunately I don't see that happening.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Re: No more feasting on cupcakes? Most major conference coaches want to only play pow

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    unfortunately I also think in 20ish yrs, futbol will be the new football.

Obviously, eye/foot coordination comes first, making it successful at a young age. The baseball coach at a small NAIA school that recruited my son was very concerned that we need to develop baseball again as "America's Game". Unfortunately I don't see that happening.
    Fortunately I don't either, because if people think soccer is boring - and it is, baseball is like a whole bottle of sleeping pills.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    I'm not sticking up for football. I actually think it's soon to be on the downslide,
    Like everything else in this country.

vCash

Some of yall turn emo faster than a preteen who's lost her One Direction tickets.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

Do y'all know much about MMA? If football declines, how much of the talent pool that now goes into football goes into MMA vs soccer? Given that kids are playing soccer as their first sport in grade school?
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TAFBSooner View Post
    Do y'all know much about MMA? If football declines, how much of the talent pool that now goes into football goes into MMA vs soccer? Given that kids are playing soccer as their first sport in grade school?
    If moms and dads aren't letting Little Johnny play football, I don't see MMA being a viable option. Frankly I doubt most kids would be drawn to it even with their parents okay.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    Some of yall turn emo..
    emotional?
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    the home game thing is a big concern

serious teams are going to need a home and home series, which would not be needed by teams like North Texas or ULM, etc...

multiple road games that far away could be a little rough for fans as well, especially combined with the post season changes

this seems like it would also make it harder for the South Floridas of the world to get started without the extra paydays they got from teams like us when they were just getting into FBS
    Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen
    Yeah, I've been under the impression that some smaller schools essentially fund their athletic departments by playing these types of games. They are likely to suffer as a result of all this.

This is exactly why I don't think the cupcakes will go away completely. There's just too much money at stake, and the small programs can't survive without the payday they receive from playing one of the majors on occasion.

I do believe we'll start seeing better OOC match-ups, but that's nothing new for Sooner fans. Programs like Baylor and Texas Tech will be in for a rude awakening though.

My biggest concern about the P5 autonomy, is that it will kill non-revenue sports for the non-P5 schools. As a Sooner fan, it doesn't affect me at all. As a person, I hate to see things like that happening. There just won't be money available when the non-P5 have to spend money to keep up with the P5 schools (especially in recruiting), and will have to make cuts.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    If moms and dads aren't letting Little Johnny play football, I don't see MMA being a viable option. Frankly I doubt most kids would be drawn to it even with their parents okay.
    I meant after they're out of mom and dad's house. You're right, I don't see anyone trying to organize 7th grade MMA leagues.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TAFBSooner View Post
    I meant after they're out of mom and dad's house. You're right, I don't see anyone trying to organize 7th grade MMA leagues.
    I still don't see a large number of kids saying: I'm not gonna play football, but that MMA looks like some fun. Sure there may be more participation in MMA, which I'd guess is happening anyway, but I just don't see large numbers heading into it. I think it takes a pretty dedicated kid to say he's gonna dedicate himself to a combat sport.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

One of the things I like when OU plays a cupcake team is seeing the guys that are sitting on the bench play. They are important to the progress of the team, and seeing them to finally get on the field for Mom and Dad is heart warming. They work as hard as everyone else, but just are not as good as the chosen few.
    Last edited by Pride1Mom; 8/11/2014 at 09:26 AM. Reason: typo