Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Battle for Atlantis Tourney

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Yes he has been very good. I'm wondering how Kruger is going to find a way to keep him on the floor against Wisconsin. I don't know if we can play 3 guards for extended periods of time. This is going to be a really tough personnel match-up for OU.
    What kind of lineup changes were you thinking?

I think Cousins can pull off playing the 3 pretty well for a guard against a team like Wisconsin. He gives up a little size down low, but he's got long arms, and he really battles down there. This is probably the toughest team we've had since Hollis was here, and I think Cousins is leading that charge. Another plus is that he's athletic enough that he'll almost always be able to get in position. I think Cousins' numbers will inevitably drop off in conference play, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was our 2nd leading rebounder, and perhaps even lead out starting lineup in blocked shots.

I'm not saying you're wrong about adding more size, though. I'm just not sure who would fit in that role. I don't feel comfortable with moving any of our bigger guys out to the perimeter. I think size is the big limitation of this team.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I'm not saying you're wrong about adding more size, though. I'm just not sure who would fit in that role. I don't feel comfortable with moving any of our bigger guys out to the perimeter. I think size is the big limitation of this team.
    That's why I'm wondering what Kruger will do. It seems when you are working with a 3 guard offense you might use full court pressure and try not to let Wisconsin turn this into a half court game. I just haven't seen any indication we are that kind of team. Not saying we can't but if it isn't something that is part of a teams DNA or it isn't something you dedicate much practice time to then it will usually create more problems than it solves. This is why Lon Kruger draws a bigger paycheck than me.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

9-5 wiscy.

vCash

12-12. 8 left in half.

vCash

24-23 OU. 5 mins left

vCash

Woodard playing a great game. Hes got great vision. 33-32 OU. Close to half.

vCash

34-33 wiscy at half. Hield and cousins were ice cold in first half.

vCash

Odd first half. I would have thought OU would have suffered more on the defensive side than on offense. We've been very effective in the paint. 13 turnovers in a half is waaaaay too many to win a game like this. Announcer was saying that other than the turnovers OU has played a really good first half. That's reminds me of the saying "other than that how did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln"?

vCash

Pretty awful basketball.

vCash

Been watching arky and mizzou. Just saw were down 15? Dang.

vCash

Turnover, turnover, turnover

vCash

Story of the game. OU 21 turnovers. EOM

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner95's Avatar
    vCash

Yea, to many turnovers. hard to compete with a top ranked team playing that way.

Having said that, we did pretty well at this tourney, knocking off a couple of pretty good teams. We should come out of this back in the top25, and I'm pretty confident we can roll thru our remaining Non-conf schedule.
    ========================================
    Bleeding Sooner Red on the East Coast since 2000.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Scary thing for me is Buddy has that look about him, the look of a guy who thinks he's a scorer but is more of a gunner. Just need that go to guy.

vCash

Wisconsin is to college basketball what K-State is to college football. You never walking away feeling like they beat you. You feel like you beat yourself. It's just what they do.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

True that.

I was in Wisconsin 2 years ago and my bro in law pointed out that when a Badger player makes a turnover he is automatically pulled and has to ride the pine for awhile.

Ever since I've been watching for this action every time I see the Badgers play. It still happens.

Cuts down on turnovers.

I've used the Kansas State analogy as well. Sound solid teamwork with few mistakes.

It coulda been much worse if Kamisky had stayed in the whole first half. Now it gives the Sooners an idea of what they need to improve.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

well, not great...but not horrible. To lose to the number 2 team in the country. Wisc has size and play smart ball...bigs can shoot. I like the analogy, Eielson had...def don't beat themselves.

It seems our shooters, get in the mode every now and then...catch and shoot...no matter what.

Cousin's...hmm....I don't somtimes he does good others...ugh...the dribble in on a 1/4 break..him being the 1 isn't smart.

Interesting to see how things go. I'm not sure we'll make top 25. Creighton loss is hurting.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

I'm as enthusiastic about this team as I've been since Blake left. Our biggest question mark is size, and that tournament was loaded with talented bigs. Come next NBA draft, Looney, Decker, and Kaminsky may all have their name called in the first 15 picks. I'm not going to pretend like we dominated those guys, but our bigs weren't the issue. The only reason we didn't come out of there with hardware was because Hield went 2-11, Cousins went 3-11, and Woodard went 1-4. I just don't see that lasting. I know Wisconsin is going to beat us in the turnover department, and they don't allow many easy shots, but that was the perfect storm of horrendous shooting from our best scorers. Even the uncontested shots weren't falling. That's just bad luck.

I think we've all seen this as a Sweet 16 team since last year ended. Who's to say we won't win a Sweet 16 matchup, though? Wisconsin is a Final 4 caliber team, and if they came into Norman a couple weeks from now, I'm not putting any money on them. This is the best defense we've played since Sampson was here, and the shots are bound to start falling eventually.