Sooner Starter NorthernIowaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Kevin Wilson comments on the Big XII

From the DOK

Wilson compares the Big 12 and Notre Dame not having a 13th game to a golfer playing only 17 holes. "They post (a) score but didn't have to play No. 18," Wilson said.
    The irony is that Wilson will never have to worry about that conference championship game since he coaches Indiana.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Kevin Wilson comments on the Big XII

Fun story: When OSU played Indiana in the insight bow, the pregame and during game endless banter of commentary was that IU's motto of the year was "Play 13" because they wanted to play in a bowl game so much.

That was of course before the Big Ten had a conference title game. It would be funny if IU's motto still was "Play 13" or maybe it should be "Don't do this:"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

We're approaching ever closer to the day when we all recognize reality and demote the B1G to second tier conference status. It's pathetic that Wilson now sees that the last thing they can beat their chest about is having a conference championship.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

If Wilson were still in the big12, he would be crowing about the superiority of a full round-robin format. It is what it is.

vCash

The Big Ten has a big money making operation going in the rust belt. Good for them that's what the focus of college football is these days.

But really, does anyone tremble with fear the way they might if they were going up against a Big 12, SEC or Pac 12 opponent in their OOC schedule? I would venture a guess that there have been more mid-major upsets to Big Ten teams than other conferences.

And with the Big Ten Network, those upsets are likely to be televised

vCash

If MSU appeared on our schedule this year, it would get my attention. Those guys have fielded some nasty defenses the last few years.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

You are correct regarding MSU defenses, but, seriously, MSU's de and tOSU's o are it. After that, essentially, you're playing Purdue.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mac94's Avatar
    vCash

But really, does anyone tremble with fear the way they might if they were going up against a Big 12, SEC or Pac 12 opponent in their OOC schedule?
    I'll give Ohio St and Michigan St some respect ... after that ... ain't much there. Of course ... the ACC is in the same boat ... does anyone outside of Florida St really scare anyone (insert Chick-filla Bowl joke here)? The Big-12 has OU and Baylor this year ... but it would be nice to see Kansas St and (I can't believe I'm gonna say this) Texas to provide some depth. Pac-12 is a good league ... best league, IMHO, last year.
    Gig 'Em and God Bless

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Stoops also used to sound off about the Big XII having to play a championship game while others did not have to. It is what it is.

Support Landry Jones! CK Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Wilson is a terrible head coach. Now that he is out of the OU umbrella he is garbage.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    We're approaching ever closer to the day when we all recognize reality and demote the B1G to second tier conference status. It's pathetic that Wilson now sees that the last thing they can beat their chest about is having a conference championship.
    So long as Meatchicken, Meatchicken State and THE Ohio St come even close
    to decent ESPN will beat their drums and keep them as a "power conference".
    Here in Iowa they're banging the Hawkeyes' drum saying that they'll maybe
    win 10 games...just different expectations (Ferentz is the most overpaid coach
    in 'Merica!)

vCash

Ferentz is the most overpaid coach in 'Merica!
    This. They basically panicked in mid-aughts when they went Orange Bowling (the year OU went to the Rose) worried that poor Iowa would never be able to get a decent coach there if Kirkie left... and every time there's rumblings that he's overpaid and should be cut lose, they have an almost decent enough season to see if things actually do pan out.

Remember this guy?

No, not Gilbert Grape. Greg Davis, the guy who coasted more than Mack before Mack tried to coast longer by cutting Greg, is now at Iowa. Tee hee.

Administrator
    vCash

IU has only been to 9 bowl games since 1968. That surprised me, as I thought they were a little better than that.

Kevin Wilson is a good offensive coach, but that doesn't equate to a winning program. He just brought in another defensive coordinator in hopes of turning the D around. In the end, I don't think it'll matter. I just don't think he's a good head coach.

But, it's good to know he's worried about something that will never affect him.

vCash

Kevin Wilson is devising new and ever more creative ways to have his RB's run into the back of his guards a**.

He's the stereotypical football meathead.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    IU has only been to 9 bowl games since 1968. That surprised me, as I thought they were a little better than that.
    Part of the reason for that is the Big Ten only placed one team in a bowl until OU played Michigan at the Orange. In 1972, 1973, and 1974, Michigan went 10-1, 10-0-1, and 10-1 but never played in a bowl game. The other reason for that is Indiana has generally sucked at football.

vCash

I grew up a Michigan fan because I lived back there. The above statement about the 1972-74 teams is why I cringe when OSU fans brag that they became bowl eligible with a 6-6 record including 4 non-league cupcakes on the schedule.