SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Got my new smoker..

and did 6 pounds of wings and a dozen ears of sweet corn...
    to die for!!!!!

vCash

Re: Got my new smoker..

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    and did 6 pounds of wings and a dozen ears of sweet corn...
    to die for!!!!!
    Heh
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Administrator
    vCash

What kind of smoker did you get?

I've been debating replacing the one I have, and have been looking at a lot of differnent kinds. I kinda want to go electric, but I've never had an electric smoker, so I am unsure.

I bought a Green Egg about 6 years ago, and it worked great the first summer. It's been a pain in the *** since. The seals suck, the stand sucks, it's just more of a pain than it's worth now.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post

I've been debating replacing the one I have, and have been looking at a lot of differnent kinds. I kinda want to go electric, but I've never had an electric smoker, so I am unsure.

I bought a Green Egg about 6 years ago, and it worked great the first summer. It's been a pain in the *** since. The seals suck, the stand sucks, it's just more of a pain than it's worth now.
    I'm not sure I'm qualified to give any advice....got a gas vertical..
    did a bunch of research...all came back that gas is the easiest to
    control temps..bought a Master Forge from Lowes...good price...
    apparently ALL seals suck on smoke release...wind, outside temp,
    all factor in,,book says position either the back or front into the wind
    and control the temp with the dampers and smoke stack. So far, I've
    been okay but I've got a long way to go...tomorrow, I'm going to smoke
    salmon to go with a garlic salad...have to say, smoking sweet corn at
    225 degrees for two hours makes for the BEST tasting corn in years!
    (Extra corn cut from the cob goes great with fresh tomatoes, fresh
    cilantro, Vidalia onions and a ginger sauce...just sayin...) Oh, keep the
    corn in the husks, peel back to get the silks then soak in water for a couple
    of hours...my viewpoint is do NOT add oil/spice to the corn, let its own
    sugar do the trick...you can put all sorts of spices on it after you do the
    smoking...some say to smoke longer than 2 hours to get the darker look.

vCash

Naw to grill corn just soak it in water for a bit toss it whole on the grill. when its done Cut the Butt end off the stalk side, Peel a few layers of the shuck then grab the top and shake that Corn cob right out of there . Its comes out clean as a whistle and Ya dont have to mess with the silks
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

vCash

To me electric and smoker don't belong in the same sentence. Get ya a Weber Smokey Mountain and call it good.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

If you want something you don't really have to fool with, I.E. monitor temps on long cooks you can't beat electric. It's not the same kind of fun as drinking beer and messing with a wood/charcoal smoker to keep the temps in the right range etc., but it's pretty much a fool proof process.

I bought a Cookshack, Oklahoma company btw, a couple of years ago and it can't get much more simple. Temps stay constant and you can insert a temp probe into whatever your cooking and monitor from the panel without opening it up.

Check em' out.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    To me electric and smoker don't belong in the same sentence. Get ya a Weber Smokey Mountain and call it good.
    I used to think the same, but I just don't have to time to devote. Which is why this...

Quote Originally Posted by dwarthog
    If you want something you don't really have to fool with, I.E. monitor temps on long cooks you can't beat electric. It's not the same kind of fun as drinking beer and messing with a wood/charcoal smoker to keep the temps in the right range etc., but it's pretty much a fool proof process.

I bought a Cookshack, Oklahoma company btw, a couple of years ago and it can't get much more simple. Temps stay constant and you can insert a temp probe into whatever your cooking and monitor from the panel without opening it up.

Check em' out.
    Is the way I'm leaning.

vCash

If ya ain't got the time to devote I'd recommend an alternative cooking method to smoking.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

If ya ain't got the time to devote I'd recommend an alternative cooking method to smoking.
    I've got an offset that I'm still learning on. It's a cheap pos which of course makes it double tuff to learn on, but I'm in search of a 24-30" piece of conductor pipe and I'll just make my own. In the mean time, I bought an electric at Lowes. Since buying it, I've smoked a couple of butts, few racks of ribs and some mac n cheese. So far, it's done a pretty dang good job.

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    I've got an offset that I'm still learning on. It's a cheap pos which of course makes it double tuff to learn on, but I'm in search of a 24-30" piece of conductor pipe and I'll just make my own. In the mean time, I bought an electric at Lowes. Since buying it, I've smoked a couple of butts, few racks of ribs and some mac n cheese. So far, it's done a pretty dang good job.
    You city folk and your electric smokers! Next thing I know you'll be voting for donks!!!

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

You city folk and your electric smokers! Next thing I know you'll be voting for donks!!!
    @#$%@#$%#%!!!! YOU SON OF A...

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

@#$%@#$%#%!!!! YOU SON OF A...
    Sorry I had to be rough on ya - it was for your own good!

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

I got a 8lb butt in there that I put in at 1 today. It's about 185 internal right now. Gonna wait til it gets to 190, get it out, rest it, pull it then eat it.

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

I got a 8lb butt in there that I put in at 1 today. It's about 185 internal right now. Gonna wait til it gets to 190, get it out, rest it, pull it then eat it.
    That do sound good!

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

I looked at 'lectric but I wanted to have mine outside year 'round,
    I grill and now I'll smoke year'round (When I shovel my drive with
    the snow, I shovel my outside patio, too.) We do get snow in Iowa
    most winters...grillin' out side is great, lookin' forward to smokin', too)
    'Lectric don't werk in tha snow, doncha know...heh...

vCash

Yep I aint even messing with a smoker. I aint trying to impress anyone I have a Gas Weber grill. I heats up fast cooks my meal fast and is easy clean up. a 5 gallon bottle costs less than 20 bucks and lasts me several months.
    Works for me.