Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Joe Mixon rumor.....?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerKnight View Post
    BS! Her behavior affected the OU football team plenty! If she had not been drunk this very well may not have happened! The school nor DA's office is holding her accountable.
    Yes, her behavior did (past tense) impact an OU player. I just said her punishment is not relevant. Okay, I'll narrow that - it's not relevant to me and I'm just speculating that's why it is not being discussed. I'm sure the DA would have charged her had Mixon been injured just as Mixon would *not* have been charged had Molitor *not* been injured. And do you know for sure the school will not take any action against her? They haven't done anything to Mixon yet either because of the on going investigation. As far as future OU players being at risk, that's a bit too far into conspiracy theories for me to swallow. I don't remember a situation like this in my many years of following CFB and I don't expect to ever see it happen again regardless of what happens to Molitor.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Without a plea that resolves this quickly, I don't see Mixon playing this year. As long as the case is open, it's tough to reinstate him. Kind of sucks, because Mixon wants to fight this, per his lawyer.

I think we may see a plea next week.
    If it were a felony case I would totally agree with the above, but seems like with a misdemeanor case they could go ahead and extend a punishment (x games missed) and move forward. Can't imagine there is much more for the coaches to learn about who said and did what. Maybe that is oversimplification. Anyways, if the coaches really want him around for the future, I think they realize they need to get Mixon involved with the offense this year (assuming he earns it). If not, have to believe he is gone.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by HateTheWhorns View Post
    If it were a felony case I would totally agree with the above, but seems like with a misdemeanor case they could go ahead and extend a punishment (x games missed) and move forward. Can't imagine there is much more for the coaches to learn about who said and did what. Maybe that is oversimplification. Anyways, if the coaches really want him around for the future, I think they realize they need to get Mixon involved with the offense this year (assuming he earns it). If not, have to believe he is gone.
    I think the reference to a plea is for the sentencing phase in order to get this thing out of the court system ASAP. The coaches can't do much until that is resolved because a possible sentence includes jail time up to a year. I don't for a second believe there will be any jail time, but what can the coaches do? I would expect him to plead not guilty tomorrow and then his lawyer to work the reduced sentence pretty quickly. Going all the way to trial doesn't seem worth it, but that is up to Mixon based on his priorities.

vCash

He would be a Fool to take a Plea deal.IMHO. If he admits guilt she waltzes to a Judgement against him in a Civil suit.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    He would be a Fool to take a Plea deal.IMHO. If he admits guilt she waltzes to a Judgement against him in a Civil suit.
    I'm no lawyer, but I've read in multiple places a plea would have no impact on a civil case. It seems like a stupid waste of money to go to trial for a misdemeanor and that's gives Mixon's lawyer a lot of leverage to reduce the sentence to almost nothing. And what if he ended up with a jury full of man hating lesbos or old school guys who think you never hit a women for any reason? I seriously doubt he would get a jury full of Curly Bills. I'd trust a judge first.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    This is an egregious enough of an offense to be removed from office in my opinion.
    That's a bit extreme. The law Joe was charged with specifically has parts about "outrag[ing] public decency" and acts "injurious to public morals," so there is a lot of wiggle room there for the DA.

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    That's a bit extreme. The law Joe was charged with specifically has parts about "outrag[ing] public decency" and acts "injurious to public morals," so there is a lot of wiggle room there for the DA.
    Well, if he said that he pressed charges not because Joe broke the law, but because he felt morally obligated to do so, that is not an insignificant abuse of power.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    Well, if he said that he pressed charges not because Joe broke the law, but because he felt morally obligated to do so, that is not an insignificant abuse of power.
    I don't think Joe should've been charged, but I don't think it's an abuse of power at all. The law is intentionally ambiguous about public morals. The fact that there was a very inequal result in the fight is what skewed the DA to press charges rather than go with "mutual combat." I would be curious to see if he would've done the same thing had Joe punched out a male of the same size as Miss Drunky McDrunkypants. It wouldn't be unprecedented, but he doesn't do himself any favors using the "she was a girl" as a legal justification in public. However, his viewpoint will have weight in any jury trial, as most people still have the mindset that you shouldn't punch out a girl.

I would really like to see Joe's version of events come to light. There should be other witness reports from the police related to the case, including a statement from Joe himself.

If he had fractured the face of a dude who was 6 inches shorter and 80 pounds lighter, the result may have been the same. then we would be talking about the use of "fighting words" to incite the face fracturing.

I'm not in the "man should never hit woman" crowd, because sometimes it must be done for self defense or to remove harassment. However in this case, a few mean words, a slap and a push from the woman, and walking away is still an option. Alcohol and youth combine for a poor decision on joe's part. He could have shoved her down instead of breaking her face. or just walked off and given her the bird.

I got punched in the face by a super drunk girl at the state fair when I was 20 years old. she thought I was her boyfriend - we were similar in appearance. She saw me with my girlfriend and thought it was her boyfriend with another woman. She was about 5'4 and 150 pounds. She clocked me pretty good on my blind side and called me some familiar insults that are NOT PC. I had the presence of mind not to respond, especially since my GF was there to defuse the situation. the drunk girl was arrested by police who witnessed the punch. the cop told me when he was taking my statement (i didn't press charges) that if I would have responded that it would have been me going to jail because of the size difference between us and my obvious ability to inflict bodily harm (I was 7 inches taller and at least 90 pounds heavier).

this may strike some as a double standard but I think it is reasonable to say that the only reason one should punch another is in self defense when fear of injury is present. no way could I say that this girl posed a threat to me. yes my jaw was sore for a day, and I pretty much felt like I should have b!tch slapped her, but I got over it. nobody would have sympathized with me breaking her face.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner91ATL View Post
    If he had fractured the face of a dude who was 6 inches shorter and 80 pounds lighter, the result may have been the same. then we would be talking about the use of "fighting words" to incite the face fracturing.

I'm not in the "man should never hit woman" crowd, because sometimes it must be done for self defense or to remove harassment. However in this case, a few mean words, a slap and a push from the woman, and walking away is still an option.
    Alcohol and youth combine for a poor decision on joe's part.
    He could have shoved her down instead of breaking her face. or just walked off and given her the bird.

I got punched in the face by a super drunk girl at the state fair when I was 20 years old. she thought I was her boyfriend - we were similar in appearance. She saw me with my girlfriend and thought it was her boyfriend with another woman. She was about 5'4 and 150 pounds. She clocked me pretty good on my blind side and called me some familiar insults that are NOT PC. I had the presence of mind not to respond, especially since my GF was there to defuse the situation. the drunk girl was arrested by police who witnessed the punch. the cop told me when he was taking my statement (i didn't press charges) that if I would have responded that it would have been me going to jail because of the size difference between us and my obvious ability to inflict bodily harm (I was 7 inches taller and at least 90 pounds heavier).

this may strike some as a double standard but I think it is reasonable to say that the only reason one should punch another is in self defense when fear of injury is present. no way could I say that this girl posed a threat to me. yes my jaw was sore for a day, and I pretty much felt like I should have b!tch slapped her, but I got over it. nobody would have sympathized with me breaking her face.
    When and where was it reported there was alcohol involved on Joes part?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

vCash

When and where was it reported there was alcohol involved on Joes part?
    Don't ya know it's more fun when you make up your own story as ya go along? It also makes it easier to justify whatever views you might hold.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Don't ya know it's more fun when you make up your own story as ya go along? It also makes it easier to justify whatever views you might hold.
    I reckon so bro. Just sheer reflex would have me clockin someone even a broad that Fired on me. Cops could suck a dick for all I care.

vCash

I reckon so bro. Just sheer reflex would have me clockin someone even a broad that Fired on me. Cops could suck a dick for all I care.
    Right there with ya! I'll be damn if some drunken skank is gonna beat on me, and me just take it out of some 12th century concept of chivalry, or men NEVER hit women, or whatever they wanna use to justify taking a smacking and skulking away from it.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    We refer to it as 'synthetic reality'. Damned useful concept, too.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Well, now that Joe is gone, at least for the year, I just hope Bob Stoops is as dedicated to OU as he has been in the past, and that he can keep the team and coaching staff motivated. I'm still a bit shocked by the acftion. Gotta believe the video was just too ugly to deal with.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

he will never play a down at OU.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    Well, now that Joe is gone, at least for the year, I just hope Bob Stoops is as dedicated to OU as he has been in the past, and that he can keep the team and coaching staff motivated. I'm still a bit shocked by the acftion. Gotta believe the video was just too ugly to deal with.
    I've got to believe you're right about the video. The other detail that came out early that stuck with me was a comment by Tapper who was supposedly at the scene. He confirmed Mixon was in big trouble and that was later the same day. The context of the remark sounded like "Mixon really stepped in it". But that was all rumor, so maybe Tapper wasn't even there.

I'm not worried about Stoops or the coaches at all. This is probably a much smaller deal to them than for the fans. They have a zillion things going on with the 80+ kids on the field: fall camp, determining depth chart and now game prep. Still dealing with recruiting as well. And they have the buzz of high expectations to keep them excited and focused. (And they are *highly* paid to care )

Us fans have little to do other than jaw about the bizarro Mixon deal. Aug 30th will put an end to that.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

BOOOOOOMER!!!!

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerKnight View Post
    The University has a student code of conduct! Yes. No one talks about Molitor's conduct or that she should face discipline as well underage drinking! Holy cow people so quick to say "poor poor girl!" Bull crap she needs to be held just as responsible her actions reflect poorly on the school just as much as Mixon.

I am a deputy and she would have had her BAC checked at minimum if I was there.
    You know, if you don't want to be hit, don't hit first...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

[QUOTE=HateTheWhorns;4785144]If it were a felony case I would totally agree with the above, but seems like with a misdemeanor case they could go ahead and extend a punishment (x games missed) and move forward. Can't imagine there is much more for the coaches to learn about who said and did what. Maybe that is oversimplification. Anyways, if the coaches really want him around for the future, I think they realize they need to get Mixon involved with the offense this year (assuming he earns it). If not, have to believe he is gone.

Looks like they did.

Unless JM has a certain level of integrity that wants to show everyone here that he is not the person that this situation makes him out to be, I suspect we will never see him in an OU uniform. Hope I'm wrong as I am really under the impression that he is a good kid that simply screwed up and I would love to see him redeem himself in Norman.

We'll see.