vCash

Mack Brown joins ESPN as college football analyst

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...lyst/13083111/

Mack Brown mapped out his career plan at a young age: He wanted to be a football coach first – and he was, from 1973 through last season – before either moving upstairs, as an athletic director, or into television, as a college football analyst.

Seven months after the final game of his coaching career, one highlighted by the 2005 national championship, Brown will join ESPN in August as a college football analyst, providing studio work across the network's football-themed platforms and, on Saturdays, starring as one-third of ABC's College Football Countdown program.

Countdown, which airs as the lead-in to both ABC's afternoon and prime-time kickoffs, will team Brown and former Florida State quarterback Danny Kanell with host John Saunders.

"I'll be able to share my excitement this year in a little different way than the last 42 years," Brown told USA TODAY Sports.

Brown began casual conversations with ESPN about his post-coaching plans three years ago, after the network began a deep relationship with the University of Texas following the debut of the Longhorn Network.

"We've kind of been talking about it over the three years," Brown said. "It wasn't a regular conversation, but it's something (ESPN President John Skipper) said: If and when you quit, we'd love to talk to you. He made that call, and I'm really excited about it."

Brown will make his first appearance on Aug. 10, when he joins Kanell and studio host Rece Davis in reporting from Ohio State, ESPN senior coordinating producer Bill Graff said. Come the start of the regular season, a second coach will join Brown in making his television debut: Butch Davis, most recently of North Carolina, will appear on ESPN2's day-long studio coverage.

Brown's 16-year tenure at Texas ended with an eight-win 2013 season, one that saw the Longhorns fall short of preseason expectations in a top-heavy Big 12 Conference. In all, however, Brown went 158-48 at Texas with a pair of conference titles, winning the national championship in 2005 and losing to Alabama in the 2010 BCS National Championship Game.

"To me, this is a way that I can continue to stay close to the game," Brown said. "I can share my passion with the fans about what the coaches think, what he's thinking. What I think what I can do is I can say I wouldn't have done that, but here's the reason I wouldn't have done and here's why I think he did it. You can evaluate or analyze the situation without just killing the guy."

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: Mack Brown joins ESPN as college football analyst

For the love of god!! Like the ESPN analysts aren't bad enough already we have to add Brown tooth clapper...why can't he just go away!!!!
    "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty."
    - President John F. Kennedy

Sooner Starter NorthernIowaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Two claps for good play, one clap for bad play.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Fits in line with Dick Vitale, Lou Holtz, Lee Corso, etc. Just add Mack Brown to the list of clowns!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

On the bright side, ESPN might demand that he go to a dentist and get his teeth cleaned/bleached.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Sooner hell: Mack Brown and Tim Tebow simultaneously on the Longhorn and SEC Networks.

Mack clap clap clap while Tim's voice refuses to hit puberty

vCash

I can't wait to see which mascot head he puts on his head.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

He'll draw numbers from a hat instead. The first one 5; the next one 7

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I remember when Barry was forced to resign. For a brief moment, there was a chance that Mack would come be our coach.

I fall to my knees in thankfulness every time I have that memory.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

"I'll answer that for Kirk."
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishboned View Post
    "I'll answer that for Kirk."
    Hahahahahaha
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Last year when I said I hoped we'd continue to see Mack Brown for years to come, I didn't mean this. Bleh. Well at least he can continue apologizing every year we beat them.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Mack was no football coach. He was a ficilitator. A politician. A speech writer. But a football coach he was not.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Now, you know, Chrissy has turned out to be a much better color guy than certainly I would ever have anticipated. Maybe Mack'll launch his personal vendetta against ut after being forced out. It could be entertaining!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash