Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fracking

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Skysooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Fracking

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Sky, I understand the Depth issue, and Have stated it myself. But heres a thot i just had. Could the increased pressure underground at say 1an1/2 miles deep force downward pressure on other substrata? kinda like a Domino effect?
    Not so much. Pressure in the earth is typically caused by the weight of fluids in the earth above it. If it is salt water, you are going to see roughly 1.0-1.15 psi/ft. This only applies if the strata are connected in some way. Pressure obviously then goes up linearly as you move down into the earth. Injecting water into a strata will only increase the pressure as a result of the thickness of the zone and the difference in density between the fluids. Since most fluid at depth is very salty typically we are injecting the same fluid. Notice though that the pressure in the injection zone would not only have to be higher than the zones below but significantly higher to overcome the tendency of fluids to flow from high pressure to low pressure. Mostly fluids would tend to flow up if there was a pathway, but they then equalize with the zone above. The faulted rock would have to be really close to the injection zone for this to happen. Obviously it can since there are documented cases of this. Simple solution is just move the water disposal wells. These wells receive many times the water level that fracked wells do.

One other thing though is that you will hear of geopressured zones which are those zones that have pressures higher than the water gradient. These zones have been sealed off and isolated from the regional water gradient, buried and squeezed. This isolates the pressure and allows it to be higher. This part has nothing to do with fracking but just for general knowledge.
    Metaphors be with you!

vCash

Thanks, Ill hank up and continue to read.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

So, Sky, if many of the injection wells are on a gravity feed, could you substantially overpressure a zone that was only on a gravity feed?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    So, Sky, if many of the injection wells are on a gravity feed, could you substantially overpressure a zone that was only on a gravity feed?

No since the gravity feed means that the pressure of the water in the well is higher than the pressure in the zone. Eventually this changes and when they equalize, it won't flow anymore. Remember also there are frictional forces in the pipe as well. Even if you are using a pressure pump on the surface at least part of that pressure is going to friction, the rest is going to get a high enough rate of injection into the formation so that it will enter. If you use too much pressure though, you can overpressure a zone and fracture it. That is basically what fracking is anyway. Once the pressure drops though the zone heals itself and generally won't allow flow since the rock above and below oil zones is pretty impermeable.
    Metaphors be with you!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Skysooner View Post
    No since the gravity feed means that the pressure of the water in the well is higher than the pressure in the zone. Eventually this changes and when they equalize, it won't flow anymore. Remember also there are frictional forces in the pipe as well. Even if you are using a pressure pump on the surface at least part of that pressure is going to friction, the rest is going to get a high enough rate of injection into the formation so that it will enter. If you use too much pressure though, you can overpressure a zone and fracture it. That is basically what fracking is anyway. Once the pressure drops though the zone heals itself and generally won't allow flow since the rock above and below oil zones is pretty impermeable.
    Muchas gracias.

vCash

Muchas gracias.
    Okie Is this what "Being Schooled" is all about?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

vCash

Okie Is this what "Being Schooled" is all about?
    Yes...but in a good way...fukn lemmings

vCash

Yes...but in a good way...fukn lemmings
    I Like Skuel !

vCash

I Like Skuel !
    I knew it! Yew were funnin' us all along!

vCash

Not to toot my own horn...well yes I do. I was out with my wife last night and ran into a climate change protester at a bar. We had an hour long conversation about climate change (I think it is happening), the XL pipeline (should be approved otherwise it will be by rail which is worse), thorium nuclear reaction, fracking and induced seismicity. By the end he agreed that the whole to do about fracking was just a bunch of bs. We disagreed on other things (like Canada's right to extract its own resources and sell them), but in general it felt good to have a good discussion with the "enemy" and come out the victor.
    Metaphors be with you!