Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fracking

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Skysooner's Avatar
    vCash

Fracking

I wondered if there would be any interest in receiving information on fracking. This will be studies both for and against including induced seismicity (which is what morons say is happening in Oklahoma). My company has cooperated with Canadian govt interests in this, and there is some interesting information. There is also the idiocy that comes from the greens who are latching onto fracking as the "debil" without any sort of understanding and with the sole intent of making us a green economy (actually for this but it would destroy the economy if we went to it fully now). I am on vacation until tomorrow, so i would anticipate putting together some of the information on Sunday or Monday.
    Metaphors be with you!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Fracking

Quote Originally Posted by Skysooner View Post
    I wondered if there would be any interest in receiving information on fracking. This will be studies both for and against including induced seismicity (which is what morons say is happening in Oklahoma). My company has cooperated with Canadian govt interests in this, and there is some interesting information. There is also the idiocy that comes from the greens who are latching onto fracking as the "debil" without any sort of understanding and with the sole intent of making us a green economy (actually for this but it would destroy the economy if we went to it fully now). I am on vacation until tomorrow, so i would anticipate putting together some of the information on Sunday or Monday.
    Look forward to it Sky....also notice some of the Atlantic will be getting new seismic run on it in the next few years.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Wonder could you frac OV's ***? You might find the Mother Load of CNG in there...

OleVet Posse Instigator

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Just for purposes of discussion, does anyone reading this think a 5000% increase in the level of seismicity in 2013 (calculated from Oklahoma historical earthquake data) is a naturally occurring phenomena?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    Look forward to it Sky....also notice some of the Atlantic will be getting new seismic run on it in the next few years.
    He finally opened it up.
    Metaphors be with you!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie View Post
    Just for purposes of discussion, does anyone reading this think a 5000% increase in the level of seismicity in 2013 (calculated from Oklahoma historical earthquake data) is a naturally occurring phenomena?
    My background is in rock mechanics and seismicity from school. I helped write at least one of the publications I will share on Monday. Initially my thought is no since the production near Langston is only 1 to 1.5 miles deep from memory. These quakes are occurring much deeper and conductive fractures won't run that far. However I want to bring up the USGS reports and make sure about that.
    Metaphors be with you!

vCash

I thought I had read somewhere that the seismic data recording devices had been upgraded/added in the last year or two. That alone could cover a lot of the eq's OK has seen lately, not to mention we live on a fault.

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

I'm not smart enough to know one from the other but would
    enjoy reading any explanation about the huge increase....

vCash

it's not fracking, it's the wastewater injection

you know, huge difference

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...a-earthquakes/

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    it's not fracking, it's the wastewater injection

you know, huge difference

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...a-earthquakes/
    I thought waste water injection had been going on for decades?

OleVet Posse Instigator

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

We've been told it's safe.

What else is there to discuss ?

Personally I like Swiss cheese.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    I thought waste water injection had been going on for decades?
    It has been. Biggest difference is the amount of water going into the water disposal wells. As part of this study near Langston, I will be looking at the depth of earthquakes versus water injection well depths.

There have been earthquakes associated with fracking no doubt (I will post a link to a report and some excerpts tomorrow), but they are generally small, limited and not multiple earthquakes.
    Metaphors be with you!

vCash

First things first:

Fracking is the act of injection water (thickened up by some chemicals) along with same to prop open a formation that wouldn't normally produce economic hydrocarbons. It was invented in Oklahoma in the late 1940s and early 1950s by Halliburton, and the vast majority of wells since that time have been fracked (we are talking millions of wells worldwide). This is not new technology as people would have you believe. What is new is that this is really the first time in history that horizontal wells have been massively fracked which means that one wellbore acts as many wellbores, and the volumes of water are big.

Earthquakes are caused when faults under pressure slip. This can be small slippage or large slippage. The magnitude of the earthquake is dependent upon the energy released. The damage that an earthquake can do is related to the magnitude and the depth it happens at. There are many faults under pressure that won't move for many years until that pressure increases enough to overcome the frictional resistance. Once they move, this can shake up an area and more earthquakes happen. This is why you get "aftershocks" which are just smaller magnitude earthquakes. We also see earthquake swarms preceding a larger earthquake and/or volcanic activity in areas prone to it.

Some of you may remember the James Bond movie "A View to a Kill". This is where the main evil characters (Christopher Walken) were trying to inject water into the Heyward and San Andres faults. As a rule this is an impossibility, but the science is right. Try putting water or any lubricant on something sitting on a frictional surface and watch it move easier.

Induced seismicity (aka earthquakes caused by water injection or fracking)

http://www.bcogc.ca/node/8046/download?documentID=1270

Long read, but this is part of a study I was involved in. In essence this is in what is called the Horn River region of Canada. Almost nobody lives here. We were fracking, and there were instances of shallow earthquakes with epicenters right in the fracking zone. These were small and only felt directly above on the surface.

Long term data analysis suggests that the regions can be somewhat identified ahead of time, but the real kicker is that no production comes out of zones that were fracked and had earthquakes (the stresses in the earth get all wonky around a fault under pressure). This really means that oil companies want to avoid those areas. While it is impossible to predict all of it, the areas where induced seismicity causing earthquakes directly has been in 2 remote areas of Canada (Horn River and the NW Duvernay region). There was also another reported incident in England a few years back, but I don't know much about that.

The biggest culprits are water injection wells. These can be potentially more dangerous for several reasons. First they are typically drilled deeper than the oil and gas zones. Second they take many more times the water than a well that has been fracked does. Cases of induced seismicity proven to be caused by water injection wells are in Irving, Texas, SW Arkansas and Youngstown, Ohio. In all cases the wells were shut down immediately.

Now let's look at the most recent earthquakes near Langston, OK. The depth of this was 3.8 miles or approximately 20,000'.

I pulled the entire county of wells. The deepest water injection well lands at 8400' in the Arbuckle formation. There are 3 wells that have production zones in the 8000-10000' range and nothing deeper. The Arbuckle pretty much sits above the Pre-Cambrian bedrock which goes back from 500 million to 4.5 billion years old. It isn't productive and isn't targeted. Anybody that tells you that water can leak from 8400' to 20,000' to cause an induced earthquake is patently stupid and knows nothing about geology. When we frack a well, we are lucky to see height growth in the 500' range. Mostly it is 100-200' high.

Glad to answer any questions.
    Metaphors be with you!

vCash

Sky, I've wondered how earthquakes with epicenters 4 miles deep supposedly are triggered by injection wells that are 1-2 miles deep.

vCash

Sky Knows his sh*t !
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Heh, I had a 23 year old Kid telling me the other day all these Quakes are caused by the Oil patch forcing all the Barrels full of water down in the earth. Like They taking Actuall barrells and ponding em in.
    I just looked at him and changed the subject.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

This is very interesting information. Thanks for sharing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    Sky, I've wondered how earthquakes with epicenters 4 miles deep supposedly are triggered by injection wells that are 1-2 miles deep.
    They aren't. Just think of pushing a crate across a concrete floor. The lube has to be under the crate. Now supposedly there have been some fracking induced earthquakes in Ohio, but I am hesitant to believe it until I see the epicenter data because these are often badly placed water disposal wells.
    Metaphors be with you!

vCash

This is from company business intelligence:

Colorado regulators reported that the disposal of oil and gas wastewater at a well in WeldCounty likely caused a series of small earthquakes this year, in another sign that a U.S. drilling boom is contributing to higher seismic activity.

The issue of wastewater disposal disturbing underground faultlines has become a national issue in the United States where drilling and wastewater disposal have increased sharply in recent years.

The Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission halted activity at a wastewater disposal site owned by NGL Water Solutions DJ LLC on June 23, after a 3.2 magnitude quake on May 31 was followed by other smaller tremblers in the area. COGCC is investigating whether the company exceeded permitted injection volumes.

Since the shutdown, the seismic activity continued but occurred at "lower levels" COGCC said in a statement. "Actions at the location are potentially related to low-level seismic activity nearby," it said.

Limited operations have been allowed to continue at the disposal site after NGL Water Solutions sealed off what the COGCC described as a "preferential pathway" for the wastewater to flow from the bottom of the well into basement rock beneath.

COGCC will continue to monitor the WeldCounty well and will halt work if another seismic event above 2.5 occurs.

This is likely the first time that seismic activity has been linked to wastewater disposal, a COGCC spokesman said last month.

Both fracturing and wastewater disposal have been linked to increased seismic activity in states where energy production is on the rise.

Recent small earthquakes in Ohio were likely triggered by fracturing, state regulators said in April, establishing a new link that went beyond just the impacts of disposal wells.

So basically the Weld County is water disposal wells which we have talked about. If you put too much water down the wells then that is a bad thing as well. Regulators are supposed to monitor this.

Here is a link to an article on the Ohio fracking.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fracking...officials-say/

Recall that if you frack and cause earthquakes there is no real production benefit, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them abandoning these wells or at least skipping the stages where the earthquakes occurred. I laughed at the farmer since he will be getting very large revenue checks and he has to put up with small tremors. Ohio is a very active faulted area.

This was from the comments. He said it so well.

"An earthquake happens when the rock faces of opposing sides of a fault can no longer support the tension caused by the earth on the opposite sides of the fault moving in opposite directions.

The reason fracking causes earthquakes is the mixture pumped into the ground lubricates the rock faces of both sides of a fault, sort of like soapy water between two sheets of glass, and allows the fault to "slip" at a much lower point of tension.

Thus fracking relieves the tension along a fault line with smaller, minor, earthquakes and tremors instead of the tension building up to until there is a major adjustment to the "earth slip" on both sides of the fault.

Back in the '60's there were geologists who advocated doing exactly the same thing w/the San Andreas fault in California to prevent major earthquakes up to and including "the big one".

It would be amusing, because of the outcry, and highly desirable if fracking, by causing many small tremors, prevented major earthquakes that involved massive destruction and major loss of life.

It boils down to the old "not in my backyard" thing about wanting the benefits of a situation w/o having to live w/the inconvenience of the side effects or possibly not understanding the mechanics of an earthquake or just not having thought about the situation and simply reacting to those "side effects".

Bottom line? Fracking could be saving Billions in property destruction and major loss of life and many, many injuries.

I'm surprised the oil companies haven't hired a geologist to explain this to the news industry.

For an appropriate amount of money I would be happy to purchase an on-line degree in geology and be the front man for explaining this to the various news, political, and ecological organizations. "
    Metaphors be with you!

vCash

Sky, I understand the Depth issue, and Have stated it myself. But heres a thot i just had. Could the increased pressure underground at say 1an1/2 miles deep force downward pressure on other substrata? kinda like a Domino effect?