Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Lawsuit involving OSU Sports Illustrated 'Dirty Game' series

First they break the LeBron story, and now an OSU alum sues them over their Thayer Evans series.

Link

The suit claims Sports Illustrated painted Talley as an overzealous booster who made systematic improper financial contributions to OSU’s football players and grossly overpaid them for jobs they did or compensated them for jobs they didn’t do.
    This was bound to happen eventually. There's been a string of denials ever since this hit right before last college football season started.

Re: Lawsuit involving OSU Sports Illustrated 'Dirty Game' series

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    First they break the LeBron story, and now an OSU alum sues them over their Thayer Evans series.

Link

This was bound to happen eventually. There's been a string of denials ever since this hit right before last college football season started.
    I am not sure what the argument could be? I mean SI talked about what they were told by players about the Ranch. I guess if they can argue that the answers were not related to the questions answered. But SI says they have audio taped these interviews. I have seen in another article earlier this summer that was not SI, they asked Aso Pogi about suing SI, and he said he felt that the questions were leading, but he admitted to the answers he gave and admitted it was taped. The Intentionally reported false information? SI says they got there information from interviews. If they interviewed several people and they said similar things, I think that is enough to write the article. That is still not saying its 100% accurate, but that would be separate interviews saying similar things. I understand Mr. Talley is not happy about what was said( and again it may not be accurate at all) but I have a hard time blaming SI for running with it if they have similar stories by multiple sources.
    Last edited by snydrosooner; 7/14/2014 at 01:28 PM.

Administrator
    vCash

This could get really interesting. If this goes to trial (which I have a hard time believing), then the actual recordings would be played. Furthermore, it could potentially uncover things the reporters didn't find.

Ultimately, this is shining a light on something most of the country forgot about. That alone is kinda funny.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

This guy reports that osu is under ncaa investigation

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...203415615.html

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
    This guy reports that osu is under ncaa investigation

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...203415615.html
    I don't think that OSU was ever out of the investigation. OSU has spent a lot of money investigating this series and I never heard that it ended, so my guess is that they've been investigating ever since the series got released last September.

I really don't mind the dark cloud hanging over their heads. It will make them want to do right more by the NCAA and more importantly, by their student-athletes.

Eventually the Boone Pickens money will back-fire on them. The scheme of taking out $1 million life insurance policies with OSU the beneficiary, on key donors and regents, and then when no one died, Pickens wanted the paid premiums back! Would you want to sign that insurance policy? You would be afraid the brakes on your car might fail, or a hunting accident, etc.....

OSU has had a history of bad decisions, and when I heard that OSU had hired an EX NCAA investigator to squash the first stories, who are you going to believe?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PrideMom View Post
    Eventually the Boone Pickens money will back-fire on them. The scheme of taking out $1 million life insurance policies with OSU the beneficiary, on key donors and regents, and then when no one died, Pickens wanted the paid premiums back! Would you want to sign that insurance policy? You would be afraid the brakes on your car might fail, or a hunting accident, etc.
    That's actually a done deal. They lost the lawsuit and had to pay legal fees if I recall correctly. Unless I'm mistaken, it was at least a year after that settlement that one of the Gift of a Lifetime pokes actually died, but other than that one, I think they're all still alive and well, Pickens included.

He thought he could recapture the insurance magic of the 80s when young, seemingly healthy people died left and right of AIDS. It's a morbid thought, profiting off death, but remember who we're talking about here... not OSU, but their oil baron overlord

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Pokes are worried.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

When viewed dispassionately, this whole embroglio strongly reminds me of the Iran/Iraq war. Pure WIN. No downside. Only trouble with both is far too scanty television coverage.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PrideMom View Post
    Eventually the Boone Pickens money will back-fire on them. The scheme of taking out $1 million life insurance policies with OSU the beneficiary, on key donors and regents, and then when no one died, Pickens wanted the paid premiums back! Would you want to sign that insurance policy? You would be afraid the brakes on your car might fail, or a hunting accident, etc.....

OSU has had a history of bad decisions, and when I heard that OSU had hired an EX NCAA investigator to squash the first stories, who are you going to believe?
    No kidding.

vCash

who are going to believe?
    Well, even if you don't want to believe Thayer and SI, there are some red (orange?) flags out from the offseason already.

Their APR slipped below acceptable numbers, so they've had to cut practice hours.

Devon Thomas' arrest in nearby Broken Arrow, on armed robbery and shooting with intent to felony complaints.

And they're opening their season against defending national champion Florida State led by returning Heisman winner Jameis Winston. FSU is gonna make them look like Savannah State, aren't they? With or without the weather issues.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

It's my understanding that the Pokes reported themselves on something, which prompted the investigation.
    The callers on the radio are crying left and right.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

It will be a slap on the wrist.
    TEXAS IS GOD'S COUNTRY---IF YOU'RE AN ATHEIST

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    Pokes are worried.
    That bunch of whiners is always wanting to sue somebody. Game officials (both football and basketball), the news media, other schools (Texas Tech) and blah, blah, blah. The facts are they are, by and large, a collection of ****** bags and I doubt anyone pays much attention to it anymore.
    There's Only ONE Oklahoma!