Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Doobie puffing Obama fighting pot legalization

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    First, marijuana use in Colorado and Washington is banned in public areas. As it should be. However, alcohol is not banned in all public spaces, and I've been around plenty of drunk folks that have a direct affect on the people around them. Should alcohol be banned in all public places?

I'm not saying you are this way, but I think a lot of people are afraid of marijuana and making it legal. Not because of any real reason, just because they've grown up thinking it was terrible.
    I think you're right, there has been a lot of propaganda against pot that is not strongly backed by data. I'm not a big fan of the legalization, but I certainly back CO and WA right to do so. I do wish the feds would reclassify pot and put it under the controls as alcohol. If we get a republican POTUS, I wouldn't be surprised to see the feds come in with hob nailed boots at that time.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I am not a pot user (it's been a loooooong time since I did), but I really don't understand why anyone would be against the legalization of marijuana.

I also live in Colorado, where it's now a legalized product, and so far, I've noticed absolutely no difference in anything. No random stoners walking around or the like. I know that the legalization has raised much needed tax dollars, and I think I recently saw something on the news about the crime rate being lower (i'll have to research that though).
    Denver police say burglaries and robberies are down 4-5% in the first four months of the year.

http://www.livetradingnews.com/crime...m#.U73cgZRdWtI

Tax revenue has been reported to be about $11 million for the first four months of the year.

There are currently two petition initiatives in Oklahoma for legalization. One if for medical use, and one if for full legalization. Last I heard the medical petition had more than half the signatures needed to get it put on the ballot for the November election. They have until the middle of August to get the 160,000 signatures needed. I haven't heard anything about the full legalization drive.
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Some studies suggest that marijuana is addictive. I am sure that it effects different people in different ways, but in general, I tend to accept what scientists who study that stuff say.

It would be naive to think that usage and abuse would not rise with state legalization. Some people, in fact likely many people, try to stay within laws to avoid getting into legal trouble. If there's no law holding people back, of course they'll be more open to try.

Federal law always supersedes state law, if I'm not mistaken. It's why federal courts are overturning gay marriage state laws left and right, and why a federal judge said that Detroit pensions weren't safe in bankruptcy, despite Michigan state law.

Badj Pot aint addictive, Least ways it never was for me

Some studies suggest that marijuana is addictive. I am sure that it effects different people in different ways, but in general, I tend to accept what scientists who study that stuff say.
    By the same token( heh I made a funny) SOME studies suggest Pot IS NOT addictive! So believe what you will. You did Notice I said "At least for me" .
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    The SC has put the gay marriage back in the states hands. There is no federal mandate on gay marriage but Obama was crawfishing on that issue well before the 2012 election after he clearly stated in 2008 that marriage was between a "man and a woman". He "evolved"... but as an admitted former pot smoker he doesn't want to send the kids the wrong "image" by supporting legalizing pot while he'll chug down a beer at a bar or have a "beer summit" at the White House.

I guess I'm just not picking up on what message Trayvon's wannabe father is trying to convey.
    Welp, Utah is gonna take gay marriage to the Supreme Court.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    ---States can't or should not be able to disregard Fed law
    But, but, the Pubs want to put everything back on the states, so
    they can make the Fed smaller and less intrusive.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    As it should be!
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

----Nothing to do with the Reps----Everything to do with Federal power------But yes ----We would be better off if many things were left to the States----I don't care about this issue---I just don't see how the States get by with it

vCash

----Nothing to do with the Reps----Everything to do with Federal power------But yes ----We would be better off if many things were left to the States----I don't care about this issue---I just don't see how the States get by with it
    They can get by with it because the US justice department can choose to not enforce a particular law. But it is a tenuous situation because that policy can change on a whim. I suspect that's why the current administration is taking that tact: they don't want to get cross way with public opinion, but they reserve the right to change their mind. I suspect this will have to get settled in court eventually. I'm surprised some anti-legalization group in CO hasn't sued the government over this already.

vCash

Simple , My friend. they just make it Legal on a State basis then refuse to enforce Federal Law. The Feds dont want to get caught up in it so they dont crack down.
    The folk in Colorado Wash and other places Still be Breaking Federal Law just no one messing with em

vCash

Here's what I like: Ask a doper about any subject at all and they'll talk about pot - I'm convinced it's the only thing they're capable of talking about!

Regular person: How'd you like that Germany - Brazil soccer beatdown? Doper: Man, they got some good stuff in Brazil, like really pure man.

Regular person: This sure is some nice weather we're having. Doper: Oh man I know, makes me just wanna light up a fat one.

Regular person: My degree is in engineering Doper: Oh man, you went to college? I bet you smoked a lot of good weed back then huh?

Regular person: If I won the lottery I'd buy a huge house, a fleet of Ferraris, travel to Europe. Doper: Man, If I won the lottery I'd buy so much weed!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Here's what I like: Ask a doper about any subject at all and they'll talk about pot - I'm convinced it's the only thing they're capable of talking about!

Regular person: How'd you like that Germany - Brazil soccer beatdown? Doper: Man, they got some good stuff in Brazil, like really pure man.

Regular person: This sure is some nice weather we're having. Doper: Oh man I know, makes me just wanna light up a fat one.

Regular person: My degree is in engineering Doper: Oh man, you went to college? I bet you smoked a lot of good weed back then huh?

Regular person: If I won the lottery I'd buy a huge house, a fleet of Ferraris, travel to Europe. Doper: Man, If I won the lottery I'd buy so much weed!
    It appears you drifted from the topic of federal law vs. states legalizing marijuana. Too much weed?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Just what "wrong" message is that Obama?...that alcohol is cool but pot will screw you up?
    typical obama...
    he picks and chooses...
    supports gay marriage, abortion, illegal immigration
    doesn't support dope...go figure
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post

Saying things that annoy the majority isn't reason enough to throw someone in jail.

(Fortunately for me, it's not even enough to ban someone from SoonerFans.)
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

Welp, Utah is gonna take gay marriage to the Supreme Court.
    Can they add polygamy at the same time?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    All the recent district court rulings that are over turning state laws against gay marriage are based on the equal protection clause. And the judges are referencing the SCOTUS ruling on the DOMA as precedent. I don't see how that gives the decision back to the states, but I'm no legal expect.

But I'll still claim that is irrelevant to legalized pot, which is not a constitutional issue. I do think it's weird that the administration says they oppose it, yet are not trying to get clarification in the courts. I can only conclude politics is involved. If they came down hard on CO (a swing state), there would be a huge backlash from state's rights advocates and rightfully so.
    I mentioned it because Obama has actually flipped a few times on gay marriage without any "federal" mandate to do so. I don't get his struggle with pot and it would certainly hurt him less with dems to support than it would be for a pub candidate with the pubs.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Simple , My friend. they just make it Legal on a State basis then refuse to enforce Federal Law. The Feds dont want to get caught up in it so they dont crack down.
    The folk in Colorado Wash and other places Still be Breaking Federal Law just no one messing with em
    Or they could go the drinking age route... states have a right to keep it at 18 if they want, but they only get their full federal road funding if they raise it to 21.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me on restricting/making illegal addictive substances. But, I'm not going to have my opinion swayed by a message board either, even my beloved Sooner message board, so there you go

vCash

I mentioned it because Obama has actually flipped a few times on gay marriage without any "federal" mandate to do so. I don't get his struggle with pot and it would certainly hurt him less with dems to support than it would be for a pub candidate with the pubs.
    I guess actions (or inactions in this case) speak louder than words. I do think that for the most part, legalizing pot is a non-partisan issue (is it allowed to still have one of those?). The dem split is probably a bit different than the pub split, but both sides are split. The pragmatist from both sides agree that the cost of enforcement is just not worth it, and they are tipping support to the majority.

vCash

His struggle with drug legalization is due to all the pillars of our nation who would be deeply, deeply hurt by such legalization. The stalwart police who get dangerous drug users off the street, the good investors who run the alcohol, tobacco, prescription medication, and private prison industries, and the community-minded folks who care so much about other people who might hurt themselves by making bad decisions. He has to consider all of that versus trying to appease the growing majority of the people who want to make such a bad choice for themselves as ingesting drugs.

Not all the Republicans would be against it. Remember the libertarians, who are inside the Republican 'big tent.' They are in favor of legalizing drugs on the basis that the "big bad government" shouldn't be telling the citizenry what to do with their bodies. Plus there are still some Democrats who buy, I mean, who understand the truth of Reefer Madness .
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I guess actions (or inactions in this case) speak louder than words. I do think that for the most part, legalizing pot is a non-partisan issue (is it allowed to still have one of those?). The dem split is probably a bit different than the pub split, but both sides are split. The pragmatist from both sides agree that the cost of enforcement is just not worth it, and they are tipping support to the majority.
    Its not just the cost of enforcement....there are plenty of "sin tax" revenues to be made. And I'll never believe alcohol is a less harmful drug than pot.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TAFBSooner View Post
    His struggle with drug legalization is due to all the pillars of our nation who would be deeply, deeply hurt by such legalization. The stalwart police who get dangerous drug users off the street, the good investors who run the alcohol, tobacco, prescription medication, and private prison industries, and the community-minded folks who care so much about other people who might hurt themselves by making bad decisions. He has to consider all of that versus trying to appease the growing majority of the people who want to make such a bad choice for themselves as ingesting drugs.

Not all the Republicans would be against it. Remember the libertarians, who are inside the Republican 'big tent.' They are in favor of legalizing drugs on the basis that the "big bad government" shouldn't be telling the citizenry what to do with their bodies. Plus there are still some Democrats who buy, I mean, who understand the truth of Reefer Madness .
    I guess you could say I'm a pub since I usually vote for them in OK and I've long been for legalization. I assume there are many like me but unfortunately not enough in OK to make anything happen soon.