SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Whole lotta shakin' at UT

I consider this sports-related:

There will be more major changes among the leadership at the University of Texas with school president Bill Powers being told to resign or be fired next week, according to Reeve Hamilton of The Texas Tribune. Powers played a major role in Mack Brown's departure as football coach when Powers reportedly withdrew his support of the longtime Longhorns coach and forced him to resign.

According to the report from Hamilton, University of Texas System Chancellor Francisco Cigarroa asked Powers to resign and told him if he didn't he would be fired when the Board of Regents meets on July 10. Hamilton reports that Powers said he will not resign. The cause of the issue is reportedly related to UT Austin's admission practices.

Powers has played a major role in Longhorn sports during his tenure. In addition to leading the charge that concluded with Charlie Strong replacing Mack Brown, Powers also led the way in hiring Steve Patterson to replace DeLoss Dodds as athletic director in November. He previously played a major role in the conference realignment shuffle and was given authority to make the decision of where Texas would align.
    Last edited by swardboy; 7/5/2014 at 08:42 AM.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Whole lotta shakin' at UT

It feels like Texas football is about to implode. I can't help but see some similarities to the early 90's Sooner program. I know the circumstances are different, but the "retirement" of a winning head coach, followed by changes in the university (and athletic department) leadership, had OU wondering in the wilderness for a decade. I may be completely wrong, but I have a feeling Texas has just started their wilderness journey.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    It feels like Texas football is about to implode. I can't help but see some similarities to the early 90's Sooner program. I know the circumstances are different, but the "retirement" of a winning head coach, followed by changes in the university (and athletic department) leadership, had OU wondering in the wilderness for a decade. I may be completely wrong, but I have a feeling Texas has just started their wilderness journey.

Then I hope they wander in the desert for at least as long as Moses did.
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Wishboned View Post
    Longer if possible!
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerLB's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Wishboned View Post
    Yessir!
    I'm no rocket surgeon, but . . . I am a member of the OLEVET POSSE!

"I'm too busy to help out right now....I'm trying to train a lizard to jump through hoops." - StoopTroup

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Given the fact it's about 35 years between national championships for them, that would about par for their course.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

There are a lot of factors at work here, however, the straw that broke the camel's (longhorn's?) back is an investigation into improper admissions to UT for the children of legislators or their staff members. While UT has 50 billion students enrolled, it remains one of the most selective public universities and even that whole be-in-top-10-percent-of-HS-class thing isn't guaranteed UT admission like it used to be.

Many other factors include:
    - UT trying to be an academic utopia (read: liberal) while Texas' governor and other legislators want a more cost-conscious, affordable approach (read: Republicans are going to cut your state funding, take that you hippies).
    - Powers and Aggie Gov. Rick Perry have butted heads for years
    - Gov. Perry has appointed most, if not all of UT's current regents and they are on Perry's side, not Powers'

The thing that kept Powers untouchable for a long time, much like Mack Brown, was friends in high places. However, dare I suggest that the continuous non-factor in national title races that the Texas Longhorns sports teams have become is causing people to withdraw support? I have little doubt that a football team like 2005 (or even 2009) would make UT boosters and alums alike more happy with their school's leadership

When the Southwest conference existed, Texas was the big bully, picking on the small religious schools, SMU, TCU, Baylor, and when they finally got into a more competitive conference, it showed how truly mediocre their programs are. With all of the talent they had, it has always been the coaching that was LAZY! They thought just because they were "TEXAS" everyone should bow down. And because of their other antics, the Big XII now only has 10 teams.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    There are a lot of factors at work here, however, the straw that broke the camel's (longhorn's?) back is an investigation into improper admissions to UT for the children of legislators or their staff members. While UT has 50 billion students enrolled, it remains one of the most selective public universities and even that whole be-in-top-10-percent-of-HS-class thing isn't guaranteed UT admission like it used to be.

Many other factors include:
    - UT trying to be an academic utopia (read: liberal) while Texas' governor and other legislators want a more cost-conscious, affordable approach (read: Republicans are going to cut your state funding, take that you hippies).
    - Powers and Aggie Gov. Rick Perry have butted heads for years
    - Gov. Perry has appointed most, if not all of UT's current regents and they are on Perry's side, not Powers'

The thing that kept Powers untouchable for a long time, much like Mack Brown, was friends in high places. However, dare I suggest that the continuous non-factor in national title races that the Texas Longhorns sports teams have become is causing people to withdraw support? I have little doubt that a football team like 2005 (or even 2009) would make UT boosters and alums alike more happy with their school's leadership
    Badg...On top of this is also the UT Law School admissions. Pols kids and friends getting in and then doing so bad as to have to take the Texas Bar 3, 4 or 5 times to pass. Talk about not likely eligible for enrollment. David Dewhurst was a big supporter of Powers and he and his Liberal cronies were at the heart of an investigation of regent Hall who was the whistleblower on this. I believe Hall is a Gov. Perry appointee and has been investigating the favoritism in admissions... This may be the Perry vs. UT cronies deal or it may be that UT folks are using Perry as the bad guy to hide the admissions cronyism.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Badg...On top of this is also the UT Law School admissions.
    That's the straw/camel's back thing I was referring to. If confirmed to be true and not just another political-motivated rumor to make either side look bad, it makes sense. Powers needed legislative support that he wasn't getting from Perry et al, so he gets it by admitting the unqualified children and staffers of legislators.

There is way too much money flowing through those UT coffers for there not to be some caught with hands in the cookie jar, so to speak. While I find Texas politicians (both political parties) to be disingenuous posers for the most part that look out for self interests first, that doesn't mean there can't be unintended positive side effects. Go ahead and call out UT and other higher ed institutions for jacking up tuition well beyond inflation. Force out your athletic director when your athletics aren't up to par. Force out your overpaid, overstayed welcome football coach when it's clear there's no more conference/national titles coming.

Who cares if the one calling them out is an Aggie governor that would love to see UT embarrassed? If they're doing the wrong thing, they deserve to be embarrassed!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Yeah, they are on both sides of the aisle. Surprising how the strange bedfellows come together when UT (and favored admission) is on the line...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Longer if possible!
    60 - 43 = 17, so at least 27 years, please.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TAFBSooner View Post
    60 - 43 = 17, so at least 27 years, please.
    Last year was a major setback and it didn't even save Mack's job. Thanks a lot Baylor.

Thanks a ****ing lot.