Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Dorial Green-Beckham Spotted On Campus At Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    We'll see. How many players did Jalen Saunders run off?
    I would say Saunders and DGB are two different cases. Saunders left Fresno of his own accord and was never involved in anything that would have resulted in him being dismissed from his previous team. (as far as I know). He played by the rules of his team and the NCAA. What would other OU players have to complain about with Saunders joining the team other than more competition?

DGB was involved in two separate marijuana arrests and an assault / unlawful entry investigation which resulted in him being dismissed from his former team. If any of the players at OU would have committed the same offenses I'm pretty sure Bob Stoops would have sent them packing too. Ask Trey Metoyer. Stoops kicked him off after only one (although unsavory) incident of indecent exposure.

I'm just trying to see consistency and it isn't obvious.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Are you saying you disagree with my overall stance, or the post you quoted? In the post you quoted I was simply saying that DGB will have to earn his spot in the lineup just like anybody else. The players who don't see the field didn't earn it, and thus I won't feel bad for them, even if it is DGB who "took" their spot. You disagree with that?
    I'm saying winning the starting position is not sufficient. It must be accompanied by acceptable behavior; at OU at least. That applies to all players, but this is a very unique situation in the Stoops era. The first weed incident is no big deal. The second one was possession of a pound - that would have gotten him booted at OU immediately. So he is getting another chance at OU for something no current OU player would get. I don't want to overstate this - I trust that Stoops has reasons to think this will turn out well. But I also understand the reason this transfer is generating so much discussion - it is warranted.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Wishboned View Post
    If DGB stays out of trouble I'll change my opinion regardless of whether we win the title or not.
    Yeah, that's where I stand on the issue too. By staying out of trouble, he's earn my support, regardless of what he does or doesn't do on the field. That really doesn't seem like much to ask from the kid, but it hasn't been easy for him to do thus far.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I think that falls under the "winning cures all ailments" theorem. It's also the big reward in the risk/reward equation. So even if it means a couple of good players transfer out or it cost a couple of games down the road, it's hard to argue with the value of a national title. I mean, Bob's been milking just one of those babies for 15 years.
    I figure those completely against it would come around with a national title. I was just curious what the folks that are 100% against it think.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    You've got to earn your spot if you want to play at OU. Our receivers will have every opportunity to beat out DGB, and if they don't do it, I won't feel bad for them. Besides that, we use several WR's. Justin Brown didn't keep Saunders, Stills, or Shepard off the field. The guys that earn it will be out there.
    What you're saying is true, and I'm sure the WR will have every chance to earn time over DGB. Given what I know of his talent, and what he was starting to show at Mizzou, I don't think there is a receiver on the roster that could beat him out (if he were to be cleared to play this year), so in that sense, it could take care of itself. Most competitors can accept demotion if the person ahead of them is clearly better. In this case, it wouldn't really even be a demotion since nobody has really taken the reigns at the position (other than Shep, who's position isn't in jeopardy).

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    I would say Saunders and DGB are two different cases. Saunders left Fresno of his own accord and was never involved in anything that would have resulted in him being dismissed from his previous team. (as far as I know). He played by the rules of his team and the NCAA. What would other OU players have to complain about with Saunders joining the team other than more competition?

DGB was involved in two separate marijuana arrests and an assault / unlawful entry investigation which resulted in him being dismissed from his former team. If any of the players at OU would have committed the same offenses I'm pretty sure Bob Stoops would have sent them packing too. Ask Trey Metoyer. Stoops kicked him off after only one (although unsavory) incident of indecent exposure.

Aren't you kind of jumping the gun here? The kid has an entire school year to clean up and prove himself.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerLB's Avatar
    vCash

I'm betting Bob has "entire school year to clean up and prove himself" at the very top of the list. If he can't be an absolute asset to the team then I say the team doesn't need him. And if he doesn't get his life straightened out, the NFL isn't going to want him either. He can watch the Josh Gordon case for reference.
    I'm no rocket surgeon, but . . . I am a member of the OLEVET POSSE!

"I'm too busy to help out right now....I'm trying to train a lizard to jump through hoops." - StoopTroup

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SouthFortySooner's Avatar
    vCash

In my limited time of competitive sports, (football state championship), I feel teams just know when someone is better than their current competition for the spot. If the person being beat out by DGB and the TEAM know it, TEAM wins every time. If he doesn't then he is an INDIVIDUAL talent, ie; prima donna!
    " Ok children put your hands on your heart... and face Norman."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm mehhh on this DGB deal. I hope he gets his crap together though. Anywhoo,....
    Posted from iOS app

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

They also use more than a starting contingent of receivers, they rotate a lot of guys in and out (when healthy). Even if he beats someone out at the starting position it isn't like that person is buried on the bench.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

I will take a wait and see attitude with this entire situation. I don't think any of us doubt DGB's talent level. The biggest question is: Can he get his **** together off the field and learn how to be a star football player while still being a productive member to society?

Bob has turned other players around...Lynn McGruder is the first one that comes to mind. If DGB comes in here and plays well, graduates, and is then a good citizen...isn't that all that really matters? National Championships are great, but won't/can't there be more satisfaction knowing that you took a young man who had his head up his azz and you fixed him...for the rest of his life??

Listen, I understand that OU ain't Boys Town...and DGB wouldn't be here if he didn't have an immense amount of talent...Bob would not be taking this risk for a part time player, but the fact is that the Sooners are taking a chance on this kid...and I hope it works out for all parties concerned.

And let's be honest with ourselves...if OSWho or any other school did the same thing...we would making fun of them incessantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner in Tampa View Post
    And let's be honest with ourselves...if OSWho or any other school did the same thing...we would making fun of them incessantly.
    Well, yeah. They take on guys with bad character in the hopes they can squeeze a few wins out of them before they move on. Stoops, as you've noted, takes on guys and makes them better people or he cuts them loose quickly. I have to think Stoops feels like he knows something about DGB and his family from the recruiting process that just isn't obvious to outsiders. Comparing this situation between Stoops and Li'l Ag is like comparing apples and oranges, as it were.

Edit: My "they" is just referring to OSU. I think each different team otherwise would be judged according to their history in such situations.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    I have to think Stoops feels like he knows something about DGB and his family from the recruiting process that just isn't obvious to outsiders.
    I have mixed emotions about taking DGB, but agree completely with your statement here...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post

Not sure what I think about taking DGB. That being said I don't think there is any inconsistency or hypocrisy here.

When Stoops has sent players on their way, I would bet anything he wished them the best and in most cases helped the kid find a new home. Sometimes being kicked off the team is the jolt a kid needs to understand the gravity of the situation. Sometimes that means you have no choice but to kick a guy off your team and on the flip side you can take a guy who has been kicked off another team.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I do not know anything, of course. I'm not one of Bob's intimate friends. But I suspect that you've got it about right JK. Neither Stoops nor Pinkel could have kept the kid on the team....but both would likely be willing to work with him to find a new football home if they believed he could be salvaged as a person. What will be telling to me is whether we see more than pro forma best wishes from Mizzou. If they cooperate in his waiver application, it will go far to convince me that we're dealing with a bonehead (or perhaps just a very immature young man) rather than someone without moral compass.

Time will tell.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

I doubt he will ever play for OU. He will try to behave for a year and then go pro. He won't get a waiver.

Then when he goes to the NFL, we can all take bets on whether he claims Mizzou, OU, or his HS as the place where he played football.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner in Tampa View Post
    I will take a wait and see attitude with this entire situation. I don't think any of us doubt DGB's talent level. The biggest question is: Can he get his **** together off the field and learn how to be a star football player while still being a productive member to society?

Bob has turned other players around...Lynn McGruder is the first one that comes to mind. If DGB comes in here and plays well, graduates, and is then a good citizen...isn't that all that really matters? National Championships are great, but won't/can't there be more satisfaction knowing that you took a young man who had his head up his azz and you fixed him...for the rest of his life??

Listen, I understand that OU ain't Boys Town...and DGB wouldn't be here if he didn't have an immense amount of talent...Bob would not be taking this risk for a part time player, but the fact is that the Sooners are taking a chance on this kid...and I hope it works out for all parties concerned.

I really do think Stoops looks at things this way. I know he's all about winning, but he develops real relationships with these kids and I'm sure he feels some responsibility. As a fan, I always hate to hear about kids messing up (even guys that have played in the past that do something dumb down the line), but if I'm being completely honest, I'm more interested in what they can do to help us win.

As far as us making fun of any other school that would have brought him in, you're right. I would have been all over OSU or Texas had they done this. But, that's what message boards are for

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    I do not know anything, of course. I'm not one of Bob's intimate friends. But I suspect that you've got it about right JK. Neither Stoops nor Pinkel could have kept the kid on the team....but both would likely be willing to work with him to find a new football home if they believed he could be salvaged as a person. What will be telling to me is whether we see more than pro forma best wishes from Mizzou. If they cooperate in his waiver application, it will go far to convince me that we're dealing with a bonehead (or perhaps just a very immature young man) rather than someone without moral compass.

Time will tell.
    I think there has already been some assistance from the Mizzou staff. It sounds like they are willing to do whatever they can to help with his waiver. I think Pinkel was just in one of those situations where he only had one option, and he took it. I'm sure he's hoping DGB will get things turned around.

vCash

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ed-sex-charges

And this is why taking on DGB can bring with it a dark cloud.

When Two Miami Hurricanes get kicked off the team for sexually assaulting a teenager, this is the first and top comment.

Looks like the Sooners just landed 2 more players.
    Gary D Antley · Top Commenter · Programmer\Analyst\Network Support at Angelina County IT Department
    Reply · Like · 202 · Follow Post · 3 hours ago

Sure, who cares what some tool on the net thinks? But the perception that our program now takes hoodlums and rapists isn't something I relish.