Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Dorial Green-Beckham Spotted On Campus At Oklahoma

Agree with cvsooner's comments. Also, didn't know why we'd go for him until I read the recruiting tie per 8timechampion's post. Makes sense now.

I think OU has a pretty agressive program on reclaiming players, and Stoops as been known to forgive if they walk the line....Dusty Dvoracek's case comes to immediate mind. This guy was at the height of his career & got put in Bob's doghouse, but made it out & did what was right.

On the other hand, would agree he's on a very short leash. An educated guess is that with one miscue, he's out, and he has to know that. You can bet there's a lot more to this story than we're seeing/hearing in the press.

Folks can aysay all they want, but agree with the "In Bob we Trust" sentiment. I believe Bob is firm and consistent with his players on discipline, but he does believe in second chances. However, if you squander you second change, you're gone.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The risk that he screws up again doesn't bother me; we all know Stoops won't hesitate to boot him. We would take a little criticism from other fans, but no big deal. The risk that worries me is strictly how it impacts the morale of the other players whether he screws up or not. If team chemistry takes a hit, the negative impact could last a couple of seasons.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Tough question. Of course, none of the current receivers came in with close to the expectation of DGB. And outside Shepard, there is the inexperience factor too. Accepting DGB makes a lot of sense if he can play this fall. It seems much more questionable on the surface if he has to sit out (IMO, of course). I think the biggest risk is the impact on the morale of current players competing for playing time. This just seems different than a guy like Saunders coming in or a freshman phenom being recruited and starting. This isn't a guy that did it the right way.
    Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I've thought about the player (WR) reaction too. I wonder if there was a meeting between Stoops and the team leadership? I've got my feelers out to try and find out the scoop on that.

My other thought (on this issue) was "this is OU", nobody is guaranteed playing time and you have to come in knowing that OU will continue to recruit excellent talent at your position. Of course this is a horse of a different color. So, there could be some feelings hurt.
    No, he for sure didn't do it the right way and if he ends up playing at OU there will definitely be some unhappy WR's. Can't say I really blame them. Something about this just seems inherently unfair. You do the wrong things, the same kind of things Stoops and staff have almost certainly admonished their team about, get kicked off your team and come in and move to the front of the line.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouwasp View Post
    Good food for thought by Boulder, 8time, and others. As for being a fly on the wall, it would have been interesting to hear Joe C and Bob first discuss DGB's situation...wonder if Boren was consulted?

I certainly have no inside source. But my perception has been the 2014 Sooner team wants to get back on top...as a team. Now the question is does that desire go beyond lip service? Will the members of the receiver corps that will see their playing time reduced be able to handle the ego shot coming their way?
    That's the big question, how will the other WR's take this?

Sterling Shepard's time isn't going to be affected, so let's take him out of the discussion.

Durron Neal would certainly be affected, but Neal knows (and is friends) with DGB. It's possible he's happy enough to have him in Norman, that he views it as "with you on one side, and me on the other, we can win it all". Either way, I don't think Neal will be upset about his buddy joining the team.

That leaves the guys that were candidates for playing time this year (if DGB gets cleared). Those are the guys I'm interested in hearing from, but given Stoops philosophy, I'm sure we'll never really know. And that's probably how it should be.

Here's a question I'll pose to everyone/anyone that isn't sure about this, or thinks it's a mistake:

If DGB is cleared, and OU wins the National Title this year (and DGB plays a significant role), will you still think this is a mistake/bad idea?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

If DGB is cleared, and OU wins the National Title this year (and DGB plays a significant role), will you still think this is a mistake/bad idea?
    If DGB stays out of trouble I'll change my opinion regardless of whether we win the title or not.
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

vCash

Here's a question I'll pose to everyone/anyone that isn't sure about this, or thinks it's a mistake:

I think that falls under the "winning cures all ailments" theorem. It's also the big reward in the risk/reward equation. So even if it means a couple of good players transfer out or it cost a couple of games down the road, it's hard to argue with the value of a national title. I mean, Bob's been milking just one of those babies for 15 years.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

That was fast.

Last edited by Widescreen; 7/5/2014 at 10:12 AM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    That was fast.

Attachment 2810
    Attachment's no good. Can you try to fix it, or otherwise put the gist of the information?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    No, he for sure didn't do it the right way and if he ends up playing at OU there will definitely be some unhappy WR's. Can't say I really blame them. Something about this just seems inherently unfair. You do the wrong things, the same kind of things Stoops and staff have almost certainly admonished their team about, get kicked off your team and come in and move to the front of the line.
    How exactly has he moved to the front of the line?

vCash

You've got to earn your spot if you want to play at OU. Our receivers will have every opportunity to beat out DGB, and if they don't do it, I won't feel bad for them. Besides that, we use several WR's. Justin Brown didn't keep Saunders, Stills, or Shepard off the field. The guys that earn it will be out there.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash
    To be fair, if I went to MO, I'd probably smoke reefer too.
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    You've got to earn your spot if you want to play at OU. Our receivers will have every opportunity to beat out DGB, and if they don't do it, I won't feel bad for them. Besides that, we use several WR's. Justin Brown didn't keep Saunders, Stills, or Shepard off the field. The guys that earn it will be out there.
    I disagree. OU has established a higher standard than just competition - in every elite program the competition for playing time is extremely high. I would disown OU as my favorite team if it degraded to accepting guys like Maurice Clarett or Lawrence Phillips in order to win and then watch them march off to prison a year later.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    How exactly has he moved to the front of the line?
    Using my psychic skills and my Sherlock Holmes abilities of detection, I would say there is one reason and one reason only that DGB would be allowed to join the OU Football team given the multiple infractions he committed at Missouri. That reason is he is a big time, NFL first round caliber talent. If and when he is cleared to play he will start at one of the WR slots ahead of guys who presumably have abided by the rules. He wasn't added to just fill depth on the receiver chart. Somebody will get bumped out of a starting position because of him. I know a lot of people will be OK with that. It just rubs me the wrong way that anybody can prosper by breaking the rules.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

It just rubs me the wrong way that anybody can prosper by breaking the rules.
    Look at our southern border. That's the way things work in America these days.

vCash

Using my psychic skills and my Sherlock Holmes abilities of detection, I would say there is one reason and one reason only that DGB would be allowed to join the OU Football team given the multiple infractions he committed at Missouri. That reason is he is a big time, NFL first round caliber talent. If and when he is cleared to play he will start at one of the WR slots ahead of guys who presumably have abided by the rules. He wasn't added to just fill depth on the receiver chart. Somebody will get bumped out of a starting position because of him. I know a lot of people will be OK with that. It just rubs me the wrong way that anybody can prosper by breaking the rules.
    We'll see. How many players did Jalen Saunders run off?

vCash

We'll see. How many players did Jalen Saunders run off?
    That's already been covered. Competition is always present whether it's a player transferring in or JUCOs or freshman; it's always expected. I chose Maurice Clarett and Lawrence Phillips as bad examples on purpose. They both were big factors on national title teams and both tarnished their respective universities. And I left out the biggest offender of all: Aaron Hernandez was a key player for the Gators (against us, grrrh) and a violent psychopath. It's been reported that Meyer and UF swept some of his violent encounters under the rug as early as his freshman year. Had he been punished early, 3 murders (at least) may not have happened. Of course, it was hard to tarnish the UF program, so maybe not a good example. I'm not implying DBG will do something like that, but if he does things similar to what he did at Mizzou, it's not worth having him even if it results in a national title (IMO, of course).

vCash

I wasn't addressing you Boulder. I'm also not ready to crown DGB a Lawrence Phillips. Not only was he a convict, he was also illiterate and it's highly doubtful he did any of his schoolwork.
    My point was that Saunders played right away, once eligible. It was obvious why right?

vCash

I wasn't addressing you Boulder. I'm also not ready to crown DGB a Lawrence Phillips. Not only was he a convict, he was also illiterate and it's highly doubtful he did any of his schoolwork.
    My point was that Saunders played right away, once eligible. It was obvious why right?
    Sure. I'm just saying Saunders did things the right way and that's just part of normal competition at an elite program like OU. The DGB situation is different. I'm fully on board with the fact that Stoops has more than earned the right to make a call like this, but there is certainly risk.

I'm also addressing 8time's question about DGB being pivotal in winning a national title and if that makes it the correct call. I'll say probably, but not if he earns an orange jumpsuit for behavior that happened during his time at OU or shortly thereafter. Osborne and Meyer *knew* that Phillips and Hernandez were violent people while they were playing for their respective schools. I trust Stoops to be better than that.

vCash

I disagree. OU has established a higher standard than just competition - in every elite program the competition for playing time is extremely high. I would disown OU as my favorite team if it degraded to accepting guys like Maurice Clarett or Lawrence Phillips in order to win and then watch them march off to prison a year later.
    Are you saying you disagree with my overall stance, or the post you quoted? In the post you quoted I was simply saying that DGB will have to earn his spot in the lineup just like anybody else. The players who don't see the field didn't earn it, and thus I won't feel bad for them, even if it is DGB who "took" their spot. You disagree with that?

My overall stance is that I'm forgiving of past offenses as long as it isn't related to rape, murder, or gangs. If they previously did something, such as stealing gas, I'd have to meet with them and talk to people who know him personally to determine if it's going to be a recurring thing. If you're committing crimes while on campus, I'd be much less forgiving. If I were Jimbo Fisher, Winston would probably be gone. If we take on people with histories and help them clean up their act (even if it's only a little), I have no issue with that. DGB is clearly on a short leash, and if he steps out of line he'll meet the same fate that Jarboe did. I think the Jarboe situation helped us more than it hurt us, because we set an example out of him.

vCash

That's already been covered. Competition is always present whether it's a player transferring in or JUCOs or freshman; it's always expected. I chose Maurice Clarett and Lawrence Phillips as bad examples on purpose. They both were big factors on national title teams and both tarnished their respective universities. And I left out the biggest offender of all: Aaron Hernandez was a key player for the Gators (against us, grrrh) and a violent psychopath. It's been reported that Meyer and UF swept some of his violent encounters under the rug as early as his freshman year. Had he been punished early, 3 murders (at least) may not have happened. Of course, it was hard to tarnish the UF program, so maybe not a good example. I'm not implying DBG will do something like that, but if he does things similar to what he did at Mizzou, it's not worth having him even if it results in a national title (IMO, of course).
    I agree with most of this post. There are certain players we should stay away from, even if it costs us a national championship. As I said in the previous, I would avoid people with histories of rape, murder, or gangs. And by murder, I'm including things such as major violence (especially if gang related, and not so much pushing somebody while drunk) and things like bringing guns to school. I'm also adamantly against sweeping things under the rug while they're here. Hernandez should have been kicked off the team.

In the end, winning is the only primary goal for me, and I don't let secondary goals interfere with primary goals. People like Aaron Hernandez do enough damage to the reputation of the school, that they do interfere with primary goals, so avoiding things like that is important. Bringing somebody on with a history of weed, theft, or alcohol is different for me, though. Put them on a short leash and don't be afraid to kick them off if they step out of line. It's also important to only take on a few at a time, and to keep a close eye on them.