Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Dorial Green-Beckham Spotted On Campus At Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Yup.

Lot of risk/reward here. I expect Stoops will ride him extra hard.

Says something about the depth of our receiving corps that they're even entertaining this idea. And he can't play in 2014, most likely, so there's that too...adding depth?

Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders both worked out pretty well, though neither of them had the troubles that DGB has had. Maybe he has genuinely turned it around. Let's hope.
    Not depth they are adding a guy who can flat out dominate. He is one of the most physically talented recievers you will ever see.

vCash
    ^^THIS!!!!

As long as his head stays on straight this is something to be pumped for.
    I'm starting to Think Bob is a an evil genius.........He is a mental ninja I tell ya.

Originally posted by oumartin

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Don't remember which newsman posted on Twitter but it was something to the effect of DGB will be gone if "so much as farts in a meeting." So it's a pretty short leash, apparently. Good on Stoops for giving the kid a chance. As I say, hopefully the player recognizes this is a real lifeline and grabs it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooneron View Post
    He'd better have a "pulling a family out of a burning vehicle" moment and soon.
    Any volunteers to drive the burning vehicle up and down Lindsey?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 sendbaht's Avatar
    vCash

Maybe he should have gone to a school in Colorado or Washington State...But, most folks deserve a 2nd well in the case a 4th chance.
    No pot and can not be up stares....only 1st floor.I bet he will do fine now.....

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

So DGB's next year will be his Junior year? I hope he HAS turned a corner in his life, and if so, I hope he does give us two years.
    Last edited by swardboy; 7/3/2014 at 08:59 PM.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Not sure what to think about this. Is it more about what Bob Stoops thinks about DGB or more of an indictment of his current crop of receivers?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Lynn McGruder.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Not sure what to think about this. Is it more about what Bob Stoops thinks about DGB or more of an indictment of his current crop of receivers?
    Tough question. Of course, none of the current receivers came in with close to the expectation of DGB. And outside Shepard, there is the inexperience factor too. Accepting DGB makes a lot of sense if he can play this fall. It seems much more questionable on the surface if he has to sit out (IMO, of course). I think the biggest risk is the impact on the morale of current players competing for playing time. This just seems different than a guy like Saunders coming in or a freshman phenom being recruited and starting. This isn't a guy that did it the right way.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    It's all about what Stoops thinks about DGB and his family.

Without DGB, out WR group is better situated than it was two years ago. We have a proven guy (Shepard), a guy that's played a lot of football (Neal) and a bunch of guys that have seen time and have the talent. Our recruiting is going well in that area, so there's no reason Stoops would be pressing the panic button on this.

Stoops has never hesitated to go to the JUCOs to find depth/talent (LaColtan Bester was the most recent). If it was concern for the current unit, it would have been addressed before now. This has everything to do with Stoops and DGB, a kid we heavily recruited.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the face-to-face meeting (between Stoops and DGB). I suspect the expectations were laid out pretty clear.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Tough question. Of course, none of the current receivers came in with close to the expectation of DGB. And outside Shepard, there is the inexperience factor too. Accepting DGB makes a lot of sense if he can play this fall. It seems much more questionable on the surface if he has to sit out (IMO, of course). I think the biggest risk is the impact on the morale of current players competing for playing time. This just seems different than a guy like Saunders coming in or a freshman phenom being recruited and starting. This isn't a guy that did it the right way.
    I've thought about the player (WR) reaction too. I wonder if there was a meeting between Stoops and the team leadership? I've got my feelers out to try and find out the scoop on that.

My other thought (on this issue) was "this is OU", nobody is guaranteed playing time and you have to come in knowing that OU will continue to recruit excellent talent at your position. Of course this is a horse of a different color. So, there could be some feelings hurt.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Good food for thought by Boulder, 8time, and others. As for being a fly on the wall, it would have been interesting to hear Joe C and Bob first discuss DGB's situation...wonder if Boren was consulted?

I certainly have no inside source. But my perception has been the 2014 Sooner team wants to get back on top...as a team. Now the question is does that desire go beyond lip service? Will the members of the receiver corps that will see their playing time reduced be able to handle the ego shot coming their way?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouwasp View Post
    Good food for thought by Boulder, 8time, and others. As for being a fly on the wall, it would have been interesting to hear Joe C and Bob first discuss DGB's situation...wonder if Boren was consulted?

I certainly have no inside source. But my perception has been the 2014 Sooner team wants to get back on top...as a team. Now the question is does that desire go beyond lip service? Will the members of the receiver corps that will see their playing time reduced be able to handle the ego shot coming their way?
    That's why I thought it made sense if DGB got that (unlikely) exemption to play this season. None of the current WRs have earned a starting spot this year and would have to compete as expected. If DGB sits one year, then he would be displacing a guy that earned the job and has a year of experience under his belt. After that, he bolts to the NFL costing that other guy a critical year. I know it can happen this way at any big time program, but with a guy that got booted from another team, it just seems different. But I'm just a fan, maybe to a player it doesn't matter and competition is just competition regardless of the circumstances.

vCash

Regardless of if he ever plays, he's going to be torching our CBs every day in practice. Hopefully that makes them better. Can't promise that, but I promise they won't be able to cover him.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

If he doesn't get a waiver, I've gotta think he will never play for us. In the next 9 months, he's going to have agents in his ear telling him it's time to get paid. If that happens, I don't see how this is much of a win for OU.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    If he doesn't get a waiver, I've gotta think he will never play for us. In the next 9 months, he's going to have agents in his ear telling him it's time to get paid. If that happens, I don't see how this is much of a win for OU.
    Like Eielson said If plays in Practice he May help the Other guys get better, Bout the only thing I can see.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

vCash

I think this is a big mistake. But I sure do hope for all our sakes, especially his, that he proves my misgivings wrong.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Regardless of if he ever plays, he's going to be torching our CBs every day in practice. Hopefully that makes them better. Can't promise that, but I promise they won't be able to cover him.
    Good point!

vCash

So many differing views of this "situation" Many are very content with knowing that the short leash aspect will definitely be in play here. Some so-called experts are livid that he was cut from Mizzou, and still has been given an opportunity to play at a Division 1 University. But in the same breath these Talking Heads have expressed that they would "condone" a D-2 school giving him a chance. Hmmmm.... Time will determine what direction DGB takes and what effect it has on the team as a whole. It will be interesting to watch this play out..

Boomer

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by vtsooner21 View Post
    Many are very content with knowing that the short leash aspect will definitely be in play here.
    That's my opinion. I don't care what they did before they got here. All I care about is what they do while they're here. If he makes a mistake while he's here, that will be his only one. I don't see this making us look bad in the long run. If he makes a mistake, he gets kicked off, and everybody sees that we won't put up with it, either. If he doesn't get in any trouble, then everybody will see that we were right to give him a second chance. The only way I see this going bad is if he continues to get arrested and we don't kick him out. That seems unlikely to me.

Some so-called experts are livid that he was cut from Mizzou, and still has been given an opportunity to play at a Division 1 University.
    The guy didn't kill or rape anybody. He deserves a second chance somewhere. From what it appears, Mizzou can make him sit out at least a year if they wish, and that's a pretty big punishment. It also appears that Mizzou may be working with us to allow him the chance to play this year.