Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonersEnFuego's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Dorial Green-Beckham Spotted On Campus At Oklahoma

He is officially a Sooner. per NewsOK
    "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

"Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish...and feed yourself. He's a grown man. And fishing's not that hard." -Ron Swanson

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Yup.

Lot of risk/reward here. I expect Stoops will ride him extra hard.

Says something about the depth of our receiving corps that they're even entertaining this idea. And he can't play in 2014, most likely, so there's that too...adding depth?

Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders both worked out pretty well, though neither of them had the troubles that DGB has had. Maybe he has genuinely turned it around. Let's hope.

vCash

I Trust Bob, This Dude must be a tremendous Talent for us to even take a chance
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Yup.

Lot of risk/reward here. I expect Stoops will ride him extra hard.

Says something about the depth of our receiving corps that they're even entertaining this idea. And he can't play in 2014, most likely, so there's that too...adding depth?

Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders both worked out pretty well, though neither of them had the troubles that DGB has had. Maybe he has genuinely turned it around. Let's hope.
    This isn't even close to the same situation. The others transfered without incident. DGB was kicked off the team for multiple infractions and is looking to play somewhere else. I guess since it was down to OU and Mizzou when he committed, it make sense to look here first. I don't necessarily like it, but know the coaches will be all over him to keep him in line. If he **** up again, this will look bad.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I don't think there's a lot of risk here. From a PR perspective, I guess. In the big picture, I don't think people really care that Winston rapes people, USC bought Bush a house, Auburn paid for Newton, Florida had more players get arrested than get degrees, etc. FSU still won the title, Auburn still won the title, Florida still beat us, and we certainly didn't win the game that never happened. DGB will be on a short leash, and I honestly don't see him playing for us unless he gets a waiver for this year. If he doesn't step out of line, we got a great player. If he does, he gets booted, and no harm done.

I used to be about character until Spags came to the Rams. We had this "4 pillars" thing where we picked up high character guys. We sure had high character guys, but we didn't win. Fisher threw that out and has picked up guys like Britt, Jenkins, etc., and now we're winning. I'd rather win with low-character guys then lose with high-character. If you thought our team was full of model citizens before DGB, you're severely mistaken. I don't mind us taking on guys with troubled history. I just want to see us have a quick trigger on guys who are becoming a distraction or are making a habit of getting into legal trouble.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer..... View Post
    I don't necessarily like it, but know the coaches will be all over him to keep him in line. If he **** up again, this will look bad.
    Exactly. He's a young guy who had too much fame too quickly and he thought he was invincible...and then life smacked him in the face. Some kids get it, and some kids don't. I've never met him, so it's hard for me to know, but the OU coaching staff has. He's got millions of dollars on the line here to behave. Money is a huge motivational factor. He'll be the most physically gifted WR we've ever had, and he could absolutely make the difference in winning a championship. Cam Newton is living proof that it can work.

vCash

DGB had something like 60 catches for about 900 yards last season and 12 TDs. 6-6, strong and fast. I can see why we'd entertain the idea, and we nearly landed him in the first place.

Well, guess we'll see.

vCash

Joe Schad is reporting "Green-Beckham’s admission to Oklahoma came with specific stipulations including continued rehabilitation and drug testing." and "Green-Beckham enters Oklahoma under a "zero-tolerance" policy. There were "due diligence" conversations b/w OU and Missouri coaching staffs." via Twitter.

vCash

Looks like from the media analysis, DGB could play this season if (mighty big IF) Mizzou says it's okay.

Administrator
    vCash

I wasn't thrilled with the idea of DGB coming to Norman, but if Stoops supports him, then I will too. Welcome aboard!

It's no secret that Coaches Stoops and Norvell know he and his family very well, that is probably the single biggest reason he found a landing spot at OU. In this case, I trust Stoops has made the right decision.

As for DGB the player, this is a HUGE addition to the offense. I wish he would have come to OU in the first place, but now that he's here, he's going to be very dangerous on the field. He has NFL written all over him, and will provide an advantage in the passing game against anyone we play.

Sounds like Stoops wanted a 2 year commitment from DGB before he would even entertain the idea. I doubt we'll see him on the field this year, but whenever he gets out there, it's going to be exciting. If he has to sit out this year, our scout team could end up being the second best team in the conference.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Looks like from the media analysis, DGB could play this season if (mighty big IF) Mizzou says it's okay.
    I think Mizzou is happy to be rid of him, based on what I've seen quoted. There's some NCAA rule that if a school takes a kid off scholarship that they're eligible to play immediately elsewhere. LSU did it for a bball player that is now at OSU recently

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I think Mizzou is happy to be rid of him, based on what I've seen quoted. There's some NCAA rule that if a school takes a kid off scholarship that they're eligible to play immediately elsewhere. LSU did it for a bball player that is now at OSU recently
    I'm sure the Mizzou coaches hated to let him go, but they really didn't have much choice at the end. Sounds like Stoops (and other OU coaches) communicated back and forth with the Mizzou staff, so I'm sure the Mizzou coaches are pulling for him to get back on track.

There's an obscure rule the NCAA has about waiving the mandatory one year waiting period if the player was taken off of scholarship. Not sure how this will relate, but I suppose it's possible he could play this season.

vCash

I bet he never plays a down----He wants to go PRO and has said so

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Yeah, that's part of the rule. The school they've left, however, still has to grant permission. LSU could've said no and that would have that. Mizzou might do the same thing. Guess we'll just have to wait.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    that's kind of what every player wants to do.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

He'd better have a "pulling a family out of a burning vehicle" moment and soon.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D View Post
    that's kind of what every player wants to do.
    You beat me to it.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    I'll take that bet. No way Stoops brings him in (given the media around him) and gives him a scholarship if he's never going to play. It may just be one year, but he'll play.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

I'm usually glad to see kids get second chances.

I imagine a lot of us still made stupid mistakes into our early 20's. Hell, some are still screwing up.

He'll be watched very closely. Remember Damian Williams and his love of the weed.

Ryan Reynolds turned it around after his gasoline 'problem'.

Wasn't there some kid named Box who liked to pee in public?

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Hard to pass on a guy this talented. from a football standpoint everybody should be extremely excited. This is the guy who can help carry us a national championship.