Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Anyone keeping up with the O'Bannon v. NCAA case?

I would like to see some rule changes. College sports got themselves in this situation by making coaches, even at crappy programs, millionaires and building bigger and bigger facilities through bigger and bigger donations and TV money. Do I expect programs to turn down money waving in their faces? Well, they expect that athletes to.

I don't think paying players will be the end of college sports, much like it wasn't the end of the Olympics to let the Michael Phelps of the sports get deals with Speedo, Visa and Under Armour.

I also am curious about this repeated statement that athletes cannot work jobs on the side. Have the rules changed in the past decade? Remember Rhett Bomar? Big Red was one of the local businesses that worked with the athletic department so that players could have jobs during the summer. Obviously we don't work with Big Red anymore, but aren't there still other places that athletes work actual jobs for actual pay?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    3. Allow players to work in the off season.
    Players are allowed to work in the off season. Read the NCAA rule book. The athlete can't be hired simply because he's an athlete and the pay must be in line with the industry.

The issue with Bomar wasn't that he had a job it was because he didn't perform the work.

And that brings up a related point. There are hoops to go through and the Bomar incident shows exactly why there must be hoops. The athletic departments have an interest in validating that the jobs are legitimate.

I guarantee you if someone wants to go flip burgers during the summer at the Norman McDonalds for the normal burger flipping pay, nobody in the NCAA or the OU AD is going to get in their way. And, contrary to what people may think, working a close to minimum wage job during the summer can provide enough extra dough to allow you to go to the movies and eat out throughout the rest of the year.
    Last edited by jkjsooner; 6/26/2014 at 02:14 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I don't think paying players will be the end of college sports, much like it wasn't the end of the Olympics to let the Michael Phelps of the sports get deals with Speedo, Visa and Under Armour.
    Big difference. Countries aren't allowed to compete for Phelps's services.

Why don't we sue the Olympics? After all, an athlete's market value is restricted by not allowing him to compete for any country he chooses. That's sort of the B.S. we're dealing with here.

I also am curious about this repeated statement that athletes cannot work jobs on the side. Have the rules changed in the past decade?
    No, it's bullcrap that people have made up. Here's the rule. Gosh I get tired of having to look this up.

Employment Earnings – All Sports.

 Earnings from a student-athlete's on- or off-campus employment that occurs at any
    time is exempt and is not counted in determining a student-athlete's full grant-in-aid
    or in the institution's financial aid limitations, provided:

(1) The student-athlete's compensation does not include any remuneration for value
    or utility that the student-athlete may have for the employer because of the
    publicity, reputation, fame or personal following that he or she has obtained
    because of athletics ability;

(2) The student-athlete is compensated only for work actually performed; and Summary of NCAA Regulations – Division I
    Page No. 4

(3) The student-athlete is compensated at a rate commensurate with the going rate
    in that locality for similar services.
    Last edited by jkjsooner; 6/26/2014 at 02:20 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    Players are allowed to work in the off season. Read the NCAA rule book. The athlete can't be hired simply because he's an athlete and the pay must be in line with the industry.

The issue with Bomar wasn't that he had a job it was because he didn't perform the work.

And that brings up a related point. There are hoops to go through and the Bomar incident shows exactly why there must be hoops. The athletic departments have an interest in validating that the jobs are legitimate.

I guarantee you if someone wants to go flip burgers during the summer at the Norman McDonalds for the normal burger flipping pay, nobody in the NCAA or the OU AD is going to get in their way. And, contrary to what people may think, working a close to minimum wage job during the summer can provide enough extra dough to allow you to go to the movies and eat out throughout the rest of the year.
    Yes, it's allowed, but probably not wise. Ask any player how "voluntary" the summer voluntary work-outs really are. And since players take minimum full-time loads during spring and fall, it would certainly be smarter for them to take a summer class than to work a menial job. It's a full time job to be a student athlete in football or hoops and the players should stick to those 2 things if at all possible.

Administrator
    vCash

Do you have any idea how much time is devoted to football in the "off" season? Good luck finding a job that will let you work a flexible enough schedule. There's a good reason college football players don't work in the off-season. Do some research. I thought that was understood, apparently not.

I'm sure a player choosing to work throughout the summer, rather than working 7 on 7, S&C, etc., would be treated exactly the same as the players that spend their "free" time doing those things.

Sometimes I wonder if you're really interested in having a conversation, or just being "that guy".

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Do you have any idea how much time is devoted to football in the "off" season? Good luck finding a job that will let you work a flexible enough schedule. There's a good reason college football players don't work in the off-season. Do some research. I thought that was understood, apparently not.

I'm sure a player choosing to work throughout the summer, rather than working 7 on 7, S&C, etc., would be treated exactly the same as the players that spend their "free" time doing those things.

Sometimes I wonder if you're really interested in having a conversation, or just being "that guy".
    So how much time? You can't work out 8 hours a day. Unless a kid is going to school also, there is plenty of time to get a job.

I just looked it up and the new rules that allow mandatory summer workouts limit them to 8 hours per week. I'd imagine that now that they opened this up the NCAA will be a lot more forceful about enforcing whether the voluntary stuff is really voluntary.

I'm all for saying that there should be no organized activities beyond the 8 hours per week (whether it be called mandatory or voluntary) during the summer months (not including fall training camp).

In any case, if a kid can't get a job after spending the 8 hours a week then there is something wrong with him.

I'm all for a stipend if everyone can afford it. I'm also okay with splitting FBS into two divisions for those who can afford it and those who can't. I'm not for a lot of the other crap you hear out there.

Anyway, we've had plenty of players who have had jobs in the past and I imagine there are plenty of current players who have jobs. Why can't we just dispense with the "players can't work" B.S.?
    Last edited by jkjsooner; 6/27/2014 at 09:17 AM.

Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

vCash

NCAA lawyers just referred to the organization he is defending as a 'cartel'. Good argument there buddy. Don't know how you could possibly lose with that logic.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Anyway, we've had plenty of players who have had jobs in the past and I imagine there are plenty of current players who have jobs. Why can't we just dispense with the "players can't work" B.S.?
    I don't see many people claiming players can't work. But I'll still claim it would be unwise for them to work if there is any other choice and the demands are already a full time job. Working some $10/hour and then risking dropping a place on the depth chart would be a stupid tradeoff for a player at a big time program. It's not just the time working out/training. It's also studying film along with the recovery time and focus. There is also the risk of getting into academic trouble and losing eligibility. I know if it was my kid, I would make sure his focus was school and football. Note that could give my kid an advantage over a family that couldn't afford it. As a parent, I would certainly do it, as an NCAA administrator, I wouldn't want that situation to occur.