Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

Kansas to remove track from around the football stadium

Kansas to remove track from around football field at Memorial Stadium
    By Nick Bromberg 3 hours ago Dr. Saturday

The school announced the move on Friday and will put artificial turf where the track currently is. The new turf will stretch 37 feet from the sidelines and 85 feet from the end zone, which is 25 more feet of turf.
    Memorial Stadium has sections of grandstand on three sides and there will be 10 feet of asphalt between the turf and the stands, which will not be moved in the renovations. A fence will be replaced in the south end zone, where there isn't permanent seating. The construction will begin Tuesday.
    "Rarely in facilities work do we get to do something that directly benefits players and fans at the same time," Kansas Athletics Director Sheahon Zenger said in a statement. "We'll have a larger safety zone for players and more usable practice space for the team. Fans will immediately appreciate the improved optics that these changes will provide."
    "During our recent discussions with players, coaches and fans, their highest priority was that we remove the track. We are grateful that a donor, who wishes to remain anonymous, stepped up to make possible this intermediate phase of renovation."
    The removal of the track was made feasible by the construction of a new track site. The Kansas Relays have been held at Memorial Stadium since 1923 but moved to Rock Chalk Park in 2014. Without a large track meet, the track was superfluous and very few schools still have tracks around football fields.
    Memorial Stadium was built in 1921 and, according to Kansas, is the seventh-oldest stadium west of the Mississippi River.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 opksooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Kansas to remove track from around the football stadium

Memorial Stadium capacity was increased in 1949 in this way.

From SoonerStats:

"1949
    Running track is removed, and the field is lowered by six feet. This adds 10 rows to the east and west stands (approximately 7,500 seats). At the same time, the north end is enclosed (total capacity increased by approximately 23,647)."
    .....and that's all the news from out here on the old Santa Fe Trail.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

I think they are one of the last D-1's to still have a track around it.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

I think this is just the beginning for them to lower the field and add a few rows of seating and drawing fans closer to the field when they decide their next stadium improvements/expansion. Which should be quickly as I think KU, by far, has the worst stadium facilities in conference.

vCash

they should toss some turf down on the corners and let students drag in coolers and chairs! They'd definitely get more kids to come watch their team get beat down!
    wonderin where SIA is with my beer and change for my $20!?

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nativesooner View Post
    they should toss some turf down on the corners and let students drag in coolers and chairs! They'd definitely get more kids to come watch their team get beat down!
    I really don't know if anyone besides Mark Mangino can get that program to win at football. They've tried some fairly big name --- and big money --- guys that were hot commodities at one time or another and failed.

Now it will look even more empty.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Judge Smails's Avatar
    vCash

Yeah, that'll help.

By the way, what was the name of that famous runner in the 50's or 60's that went to KU and ran on that track?? I can't see to remember his name. May have even been the 70's, but I don't think so...

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I really don't know if anyone besides Mark Mangino can get that program to win at football. They've tried some fairly big name --- and big money --- guys that were hot commodities at one time or another and failed.
    Who were the other big names? I realize they've spent some big money on coaches but not a single one was worth it!

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
    Who were the other big names? I realize they've spent some big money on coaches but not a single one was worth it!
    Once upon a time, both Turner Gill and Charlie Weis were hot coaching commodities.

Charles Barkley was once furious that his alma mater Auburn didn't hire Gill.

And of course, ND once gave Weis a 10-year mega-extension (that would have ended next year had Weis not sucked right after signing that dealio)

Football stadium expansion?! Once again, KU's timing is awful... unless they plan to start playing their basketball games there

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Once upon a time, both Turner Gill and Charlie Weis were hot coaching commodities.

Charles Barkley was once furious that his alma mater Auburn didn't hire Gill.

And of course, ND once gave Weis a 10-year mega-extension (that would have ended next year had Weis not sucked right after signing that dealio)

Football stadium expansion?! Once again, KU's timing is awful... unless they plan to start playing their basketball games there
    Which makes KU grovelling over this clown even more remarkable! After a colossal failure at ND!

Administrator
    vCash

I think this is just the beginning for them to lower the field and add a few rows of seating and drawing fans closer to the field when they decide their next stadium improvements/expansion. Which should be quickly as I think KU, by far, has the worst stadium facilities in conference.
    That would make the most sense. Regardless of what they do, it won't be enough. The stadium feels like it was made from an erector set.

I'm sure they would love to have a great stadium, but football probably barely pays for itself.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    That would make the most sense. Regardless of what they do, it won't be enough. The stadium feels like it was made from an erector set.

I'm sure they would love to have a great stadium, but football probably barely pays for itself.
    Last time I was there it was well before they replaced the pressbox and added suites. From what I remember the concourses were very small and cramped and since the stadium really hasn't changed that much in the last 40, 50, 60 years, other than the new pressbox/suites, I'm sure it's still that way. I think, even in it's sad shape, that it's by far a lot better than Booger Pickens Stadium was before he saved the day. There's a lot to work with there as it's in a pretty scenic area of campus and if they had the interest, they could probably have a really nice facility there. I'm not sure they care too much.

vCash

More empty seats to fill....
    Scots, Wha Hae.
    Scots, wha hae wi' Wallace bled,
    Scots, wham Bruce has aften led,
    Welcome to your gory bed
    Or to victorie!
    --- Robert Burns

Administrator
    vCash

Last time I was there it was well before they replaced the pressbox and added suites. From what I remember the concourses were very small and cramped and since the stadium really hasn't changed that much in the last 40, 50, 60 years, other than the new pressbox/suites, I'm sure it's still that way. I think, even in it's sad shape, that it's by far a lot better than Booger Pickens Stadium was before he saved the day. There's a lot to work with there as it's in a pretty scenic area of campus and if they had the interest, they could probably have a really nice facility there. I'm not sure they care too much.
    I've always thought KU had one of the most scenic campuses in the conference. Even though Allen Field House is old, it's historic and they keep it in great condition (although I haven't been to a hoops game there in years). The football stadium is as basic as they come, but like you said, they really don't seem to care too much.

And I agree, the Poke's rustoleum stadium was much worse.

vCash

If you build it, they will..... Nevermind.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by opksooner View Post
    Memorial Stadium capacity was increased in 1949 in this way.

From SoonerStats:

"1949
    Running track is removed, and the field is lowered by six feet. This adds 10 rows to the east and west stands (approximately 7,500 seats). At the same time, the north end is enclosed (total capacity increased by approximately 23,647)."
    This doesn't make sense. Let's say the stands go from endzone to endzone. That's 120 yards or 360 ft. Add in the other side and that's 720 ft.

At 7500 seats per 10 rows, that's 750 per row. That gives everyone less than a foot and that's not even counting the aisles. I know they cram them in but not that much.