View Poll Results: Agree with Redskins patent office decision?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Redskins" trademarks should be canceled

6 15.79%
  • "Redskins" trademarks should not be canceled

32 84.21%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Poll: Washington Redskins patent ruling

While were at it let's change the conferences to the fbs and fcs so as not to make someone feel less important.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mainline13 View Post
    I just did a little spot research on the etymology, and I saw nothing about scalps. Not saying that some, maybe even many, didn't make that connection; just saying that it is apparently not a widely-held view.

For myself, the solution should be simple. If you feel the term is offensive, then don't support the team in any way. Pretty soon - assuming that your opinion is widely held - their hand will be forced by the lack of profitability of the franchise. And if it doesn't turn out that way, then maybe most people don't feel the same way about the term.

If indeed the opinion of "redskin" as being a pejorative term is not widely held, then should the government be acting at all? Should we all be forced to have the "correct" opinions? I think not ... but your mileage may vary.
    Read some actual books and not an internet search. The origin has varying opinions but Redskin is believed by some as a reference to the skins on one's wall. Which were red, from blood.
    I'm not an activist. But I'm also a guy with a lot of Native blood who happens to be white. I haven't had to deal with racism.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    The term refers to bloody Indian scalps.
    Originally it was meant to honor Tamany.

It's offensive.
    That's a myth about the bloody scalps.

Suggested reading for anybody curious about the origins of the word...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_v...correctly.html

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CatfishSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Read some actual books and not an internet search. The origin has varying opinions but Redskin is believed by some as a reference to the skins on one's wall. Which were red, from blood.
    I'm not an activist. But I'm also a guy with a lot of Native blood who happens to be white. I haven't had to deal with racism.
    You do not know what you are talking about... who reads books these days anyway?
    Wakey Wakey Eggs & Bakey...

vCash

Wow, you posted a blog!

Read some books. Scalps were traded as currency and bought off the walls in retail shops.
    Some say that's where the term came from. Some say it's simply a slang expression.

I just read where the Smithsonian is saying it's a myth. The same Smithsonian that until repatriation, housed thousands of Native artifacts, family items and even bodies, taken
    from battlefields and grave sites.

vCash

Wow, you posted a blog!

Read some books. Scalps were traded as currency and bought off the walls in retail shops.
    Some say that's where the term came from. Some say it's simply a slang expression.

I just read where the Smithsonian is saying it's a myth. The same Smithsonian that until repatriation, housed thousands of Native artifacts, family items and even bodies, taken
    from battlefields and grave sites.
    Did you read it?

What "books" are you referring to? TIA

vCash

Everyone is just too thin-skinned these days and are always on the lookout for political incorrectness. I'm guessing it gives these folks a reason to be...Please know that if there were a team given the nickname of my heritage (partial) I would be honored. But as of yet, there is no team to my knowledge known as "The Poundin' Polocks"
    Boomer (Is that permitted?)

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    gawd, aren't you people tired of the government getting into every bed in America yet?
    This, in no way, affects me. Hell, it barely affects Washington fans. I pick my battles, and this isn't one of them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by vtsooner21 View Post
    Everyone is just too thin-skinned these days and are always on the lookout for political incorrectness. I'm guessing it gives these folks a reason to be...Please know that if there were a team given the nickname of my heritage (partial) I would be honored. But as of yet, there is no team to my knowledge known as "The Poundin' Polocks"
    Boomer (Is that permitted?)
    Permitted in my 'PC' book... but I prefer the "Pretty Polocks"....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    This, in no way, affects me. Hell, it barely affects Washington fans. I pick my battles, and this isn't one of them.
    If you can't stand up for something small, you won't stand up for something big...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CatfishSooner View Post
    If you can't stand up for something small, you won't stand up for something big...
    That makes absolutely no ****ing sense.

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Did you read it?

What "books" are you referring to? TIA
    Yes I read it. The story is based on a study by a phd from the Smithsonian.
    Mmmk. We're talking about colonial times here.
    Scholars can't even agree on the reason why Custer's body wasn't mutilated at Little Bighorn. Did you know there are references to his having a Cheyenne mistress and some think her family protected his corpse?
    Did you know another officer was untouched because of his impressive rosary he carried?
    The Natives thought it was big medicine. Turns out the guy was a former member of the Pontifical Swiss Guard.
    As I said. I'm not a big activist but most if the folks I know find it offensive. The mascot is not used in a respectful way. My hometown has an Indian mascot and the local Osages would fight you if you tried to change it. Why? Because it's done so honorably.
    Which books? Geez I have crapload library of them. I make a living painting Natives.

Administrator
    vCash

I stand up for plenty big. I don't stand up for **** that doesn't affect me at all.

My official stance on this (as posted above) is that Washington should change it's name. Redskin is a slur, and I would never walk up to a native american and use that name. That's my stance on this "something small". However, since it doesn't affect me, my family, my community, our national safety, then no, I really don't care. My "stance" is posting this comment on a message board.

Besides, who has the time to get worked up over everything someone, somewhere is upset about? I don't.

vCash

8time, you just keep getting worked up over fast DE's. mmkk?

vCash

Here's a little peak at my latest work. It's an homage to Natives who have served in the armed forces. This is half of the 48' x 48" painting.

Awight.
    Last edited by picasso; 6/19/2014 at 09:17 AM.

vCash

Attachment 2808

Here's a little peak at my latest work. It's an homage to Natives who have served in the armed forces. This is half of the 48' x 48" painting.

Awight.
    Link dont werk
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

I say people quit being a bunch of whiny beyotches and get a life!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I voted should not, and here's why...

First, it didn't start out as a pejorative. That much really isn't debated. As the years have gone by, it has been used as one, but so has pretty much every descriptor of a different race. We think of "injun" as offensive nowadays, but really it just makes fun of rednecks trying to say "indian." To me, any word can be offensive given the context. Just as an example, if I say, "Oh, is Joe the black guy?" in response to a statement, that isn't offensive. But, if in response to the same statement I say, "Oh, is Joe that f-ing black guy?" it takes on a whole different meaning, and not just because of the f-bomb. Suddenly, the statement becomes inflammatory and potentially racist. I view redskin is the same way.

This group that has been bitching about the use of Redskin has been griping for years about any use of Indian imagery. They don't like Braves, Chiefs, Seminoles, or any capitalizing off of natives. Now, on the surface, people might be able to draw a distinction between Braves or Chiefs as nonoffensive and Orangemen or Redskins as offensive. I understand that. One deals directly with color, and we as a society are absolutely obsessed with color and have our own shady past to deal with regarding it. But that's all it is. A reflex.

People freak out over White Settlement in Texas because of the name because it sounds like some Aryan Nation hangout-- like it is promoting racial superiority. In fact, it was a white settlement and safe haven in hostile indian country and that is how the name was given. People freak out over Redskins because of the opposite-- it sounds like it's disparaging American Indians. Of course, it isn't. Why would a team name itself something disparaging? It did what was common for the day and named itself after something with an admirable fighting spirit. Notre Dame did the same.

That it has become increasingly offensive over the years is due more to the false narrative created around the name's origins and false equivalency given to it as a slur on par with the n-word. People buy into it because it sounds right at face value. I can't get behind it because it is a false narrative, and now with it being politicized I hope the name stays forever (doubtful). It's just ridiculous that a bunch of idiot politicians should think their opinion should matter and then push out this decision from the trademark office to coincide with the commercial push in the NBA Finals. Absurd. It is one reason why I am happiest when Washington DC just shuts up and does nothing.

vCash

I can see both stances but I'm not going to judge the Natives that are against it because I haven't walked in their shoes.
    Vet, sorry I will try to post that pic later or tomorrow. It didn't work from my tablet.

vCash

Permitted in my 'PC' book... but I prefer the "Pretty Polocks"....
    OK; Now I'm offended!!! lol

Boomer