SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Re: 2015 basketball commit 7 Foot Center, Akolda Manyang (Longar Longar's cousin)

That's really cool. Lons prolly the classiest coach in OU hoops history. Great representative.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: 2015 basketball commit 7 Foot Center, Akolda Manyang (Longar Longar's cousin)

I hope he develops as a player while he's here. Maybe, since they're cousins, he and Longar won't have very much in common. That'd be cool. It's a good get for a team that needs size, I suppose.

The positives I see, aside from the size, of course, rest in that he only averaged about 13 minutes a game last season. So, he's getting those 9 points and 6 boards in about one half's worth of work. If it's a conditioning issue, that's EASILY corrected. If it's an issue with foul trouble, then that's also correctable, but not NEARLY as easily, given that, if he's having trouble fouling in JUCO... etc, etc. If he's able to give the team 25ish minutes of (relatively) error-free basketball (Longar wasn't as good a defensive player as people want to remember, and he was a turnover waiting to happen), he'll be an AMAZING pick-up for OU. Otherwise, he'll be another big body taking up bench space.
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by the_ouskull View Post
    I hope he develops as a player while he's here. Maybe, since they're cousins, he and Longar won't have very much in common. That'd be cool. It's a good get for a team that needs size, I suppose.

The positives I see, aside from the size, of course, rest in that he only averaged about 13 minutes a game last season. So, he's getting those 9 points and 6 boards in about one half's worth of work. If it's a conditioning issue, that's EASILY corrected. If it's an issue with foul trouble, then that's also correctable, but not NEARLY as easily, given that, if he's having trouble fouling in JUCO... etc, etc. If he's able to give the team 25ish minutes of (relatively) error-free basketball (Longar wasn't as good a defensive player as people want to remember, and he was a turnover waiting to happen), he'll be an AMAZING pick-up for OU. Otherwise, he'll be another big body taking up bench space.
    I was never a huge Longar fan, but he had his moments. Anyway, I don't see a lot of correlation is Longar's game and Manyang's (from what little film I've seen). I doubt he'll see the court his freshman year, but it looks like he could work his way into a solid role player. He says the right things (that he wants to play great defense). Hopefully, he'll be a good addition to the size we've started getting.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Hes rated the number 1 juco. Add in his size and potential to develop and I find it hard to believe he'll be just a big body taking up bench space. If he could start at center, Spangler at the 4, and hield, cousinsWoodward and co improve, I think Lon can put something together thatll make each game fun to watch and give us a real chance to do some damage when n it counts

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Considering the players we've had in the frontcourt not named Osby since Blake left, I would gladly take a Longar Longar right now. Hoping for a Thabeet.