Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash

Re: The Pride is in trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by PrideMom View Post
    Seems like YOU don't understand how important the Pride is to the whole program! Shame on you if you think you are a true OU fan!
    Damn it! That must be why we haven't put that next national championship in the bank - the goshdarn band is holding the program back!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Judge Smails's Avatar
    vCash

Jake: We'll put the band back together, do a few gigs, we get some bread. Bang! Five thousand bucks.

Elwood: Yeah, well, getting the band back together might not that be that easy, Jake.

Jake: What are you talking about?

Elwood: They split, they all took straight jobs.

Jake: Yeah, so you know where they are. You said you were gonna keep in touch with them.

Elwood: Well... I got a couple of leads, a few phone numbers, but I mean, how many of them visited or even wrote you, huh?

Jake: They're not the kinda guys who write letters. You were outside, I was inside. You were supposed to keep in touch with the band. I kept asking you if we were gonna play again.

Elwood: Well, what was I gonna do? Take away your only hope? Take away the very thing that kept you going in there? I took the liberty of bull****ting you, okay?

Jake: You lied to me.

Elwood: It wasn't a lie, it was just bull****.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    I know what I'm not doing...and that's paying attention to the band. I've watched sports a lot of years - up close and personal, and on TV, and not once did I give a rats a** what the band was up to.

...and it has annoyed me over the years for the cheerleaders, the band, and of course their parents try to claim they're as much a part of "the scene" as the football game itself, or the basketball game itself. Get the f**k outta here with that! Take away the game itself and see how many people come to watch their precious
    little darling strut her cheerleader stuff
    , or watch little Bobby tote his tuba around!
    Now that Ill watch cause Ima Provert but Ya can keep the little Bobby ****er LOL
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Now that Ill watch cause Ima Provert but Ya can keep the little Bobby ****er LOL
    Good point...good point.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Curly Bill, you still don't get it! I don't care about the cameras panning on the has-beens on the side lines, especially when they interview them while the game is going on. But the PRIDE is there for the support of the team, and they do make a difference for the plays on the field. Cheerleaders are lame, you can't hear them anyway, and the stupid dance routines could be done without, but there are plenty of old geezers that enjoy seeing them---as you know sex sells. You obviously do not go to the games, because the fans do affect the game, too. Why do you think away games are so difficult? It is not the travel, etc., but the noise of the other fans yelling on important downs. Many times the crowd has created false starts because the call cannot be heard. I am not talking about half time performances, (UGH) on Texas A&M I go the the ladies room.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Sooner Starter NorthernIowaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PrideMom View Post
    Curly Bill, you still don't get it! I don't care about the cameras panning on the has-beens on the side lines, especially when they interview them while the game is going on. But the PRIDE is there for the support of the team, and they do make a difference for the plays on the field. Cheerleaders are lame, you can't hear them anyway, and the stupid dance routines could be done without, but there are plenty of old geezers that enjoy seeing them---as you know sex sells. You obviously do not go to the games, because the fans do affect the game, too. Why do you think away games are so difficult? It is not the travel, etc., but the noise of the other fans yelling on important downs. Many times the crowd has created false starts because the call cannot be heard. I am not talking about half time performances, (UGH) on Texas A&M I go the the ladies room.
    Those old geezers are more impressive to recruits and current players than the band.

None of the bolded area has to do with the band. Isn't there only about 300 members of the band at a game? 300 out of 81,000 isn't a lot of yelling and screaming here or away. If they weren't there 300 other fans yelling and screaming would be in their place.

I like the band and the opportunities it gives kids to get out on the field and showcase their talents but your overstating their importance to pretty much everything football related.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Music has been used in martial events since forever. Scots bag pipers, Persian drummers, Texas skin flute players, all had their place in getting the troops revved up.
    A band is a good thing to have.
    But it needs to be a good band.
    Not a lame one.
    Ours is lame these days. It needs improvement. It needs to be a kick azz band. A band whose music causes our players to want to commit mayhem against the foe .... and makes the foe fans bitch about how unfair our band is. Our band needs to reenvision its role and then go out and live that vision.

And in no circumstances does a legitimate vision include any musical number from Phantom of the Opera. Under NO circumstances.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernIowaSooner View Post
    Those old geezers are more impressive to recruits and current players than the band.

None of the bolded area has to do with the band. Isn't there only about 300 members of the band at a game? 300 out of 81,000 isn't a lot of yelling and screaming here or away. If they weren't there 300 other fans yelling and screaming would be in their place.

I like the band and the opportunities it gives kids to get out on the field and showcase their talents but your overstating their importance to pretty much everything football related.
    That must be why Barry Switzer gave the band a game ball after a game in Stillwater a few years ago.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Switzer last coached in what? 1988 season? 26 years ago. A generation. Not to be cruel, but it's been a while since the band was rocking the house. In my view, because we've become obsessed with 'being classy'. And have ended up with 'boring'.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Pricetag's Avatar
    vCash

I'll never forget the chill that went up my spine on a crisp October morning in 1993 at the Cotton Bowl when the Pride ran onto the field and struck up the first notes of "Oklahoma."

I've never paid much attention to the halftime show, but since that day, I have made a point to be in my seat for the pregame fanfare. I think we'd all miss the band more than we think if it were really gone. It's part of what makes college football better than the NFL.
    La ola es mía.

Sooner Starter NorthernIowaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
    That must be why Barry Switzer gave the band a game ball after a game in Stillwater a few years ago.
    Once in over 1200 games? Color me convinced of their impact.

vCash

Since a head coach at the D-1 level is about half politician, I'd say he was making like a politician and throwing the band a bone.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

And I'm cool with the band and all that, the opportunities it gives kids to play, develop some musical ability etc...but like someone up above basically said: Too often the importance of the band (especially the band), cheerleaders, etc....is overstated - YOU ARE NOT AS BIG AS THE GAME ITSELF, AND IN FACT WITHOUT THE GAME ITSELF YOU WOULD HAVE NO ROLE!!!

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Sooner Starter
    vCash

The bottom line for me as an alum is this: I want every group that officially represents The University of Oklahoma to be the very best they can be. That includes all sports - not just football, marching band, drama productions, debate team - whatever. And if they aren't, changes need to be made.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

The bottom line for me as an alum is this: I want every group that officially represents The University of Oklahoma to be the very best they can be. That includes all sports - not just football, marching band, drama productions, debate team - whatever. And if they aren't, changes need to be made.
    We have a winner!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Just my $.02 but a university's band adds to the game day experience and unfortunately would be missed only by it's absence. It's part of the tradition that separates college from pro sports.

http://www.soonersportsmedia.com/aud...B_OEM_ID=31000

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The problem is, there's only so much money to go around, and money is generally the deciding factor on who is the best. Tuition went up again at OU, and many students are in a tizzy about that already. I don't think we should raise tuition or taxes in order to solidify the debate team, drama productions, etc. Football has proven to be a good investment time and time again. I don't think the same would be true for the debate team.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I think we have a topic for debate.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    The problem is, there's only so much money to go around, and money is generally the deciding factor on who is the best. Tuition went up again at OU, and many students are in a tizzy about that already. I don't think we should raise tuition or taxes in order to solidify the debate team, drama productions, etc. Football has proven to be a good investment time and time again. I don't think the same would be true for the debate team.
    We hired an incompetent band director because we could pay him less?