Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: Sooners in the NFL

No Bronco news to report, but since it hadn't been mentioned...

Sunday night, Johnny Manziel made his NFL debut against the Lions. On his first 3rd and short, he tried to do what he did so well in college, and scramble for a first down (it may have been a called QB keeper, not sure). Anyway, he was met at the LOS by Travis Lewis and stopped short of the first down. The Browns went on to punt.

I didn't watch the entire game, but for the few series I watched, Lewis played pretty good and look especially focused on hitting Manziel when/if he could. Of course he was also talking trash the entire time, because that's what Travis does.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post

Sunday night, Johnny Manziel made his NFL debut against the Lions. On his first 3rd and short, he tried to do what he did so well in college, and scramble for a first down (it may have been a called QB keeper, not sure). Anyway, he was met at the LOS by Travis Lewis and stopped short of the first down. The Browns went on to punt.

I didn't watch the entire game, but for the few series I watched, Lewis played pretty good and look especially focused on hitting Manziel when/if he could. Of course he was also talking trash the entire time, because that's what Travis does.
    This can't be true! All I've heard on ESPN today was how great Little Johnny was.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    This can't be true! All I've heard on ESPN today was how great Little Johnny was.
    It's funny, because I watched the majority of his playing time, and he looked very "meh". He looked downright scared in the first two series.

What I saw looked like he couldn't get past his first read before trying to improvise. If the first guys wasn't open, he looked to run. He had a couple of decent runs on the option, but you can't make a living running the option in the NFL. All of the passes I saw were of the 3-5 yard variety.

I'm not saying he's going to flop, but he's going to have to be about 100 times better if he's going to live up to the hype.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

My flight in was late, so this was the first play of the game that I got to see. I was quite happy. And yes, Travis was talking a lot

To be fair to ESPN and others, it's not that little Johnny did well, it's that every QB that goes to Cleveland is doomed to failure... but some fail less than others. It's not an endorsement of Johnny, it's saying he sucked less

vCash

Oh so you didn't hear about this?

Quinton Carter fired a ball off running back Brennan Clay's helmet. Clay didn't back down, saying, "I know you're from Oklahoma, too. And you haven't done anything in two years," said Clay of Carter
    I don't follow Denver, but if I'm not mistaken Defensive Q played a lot his rookie season back in 2011 and hasn't played much since

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Oh so you didn't hear about this?

I don't follow Denver, but if I'm not mistaken Defensive Q played a lot his rookie season back in 2011 and hasn't played much since
    This just happened today, so I didn't hear about it until tonight. Clay and Carter know each other, so I'm thinking this was a joke between the two that caught the reporter off guard. I'll keep an eye open to see if anything more comes from it, but I doubt it.

The biggest news today was that SLB Danny Trevathian broke his kneecap in practice and is expected to miss 4-6 weeks minimum. That will move Broncos SLB to start, and should move Corey Nelson up to 2. He'll be seeing a lot more playing time this weekend. It's starting to look like his chances of making the final cut are getting better.

Corey Nelson #47 in orange

Brennan Clay #34 in white

vCash

Brennan Clay's rookie haircut (just linking because it's a fairly large pic)

Administrator
    vCash

EDIT: If you want an eye witness account (of the Clay/Carter skirmish), go HERE.

Soonersports did a nice pre-season write-up (for all Sooners in the NFL). Go HERE for that.

Administrator
    vCash

Sad news, Brennan Clay was waived by the Broncos today. First cutdown (from 88 to 77 players), and Clay was one of two RBs let go.

I hope Brennan gets a shot somewhere else, but if this is the end, he's been fun to watch. I've known the Clay family for many years, and Brennan is an incredible young man. I have no doubt that he will be successful in life.

The silver lining is that Corey Nelson made it through the first round of cuts and has been given more responsibility on defense. At the very least, Corey should make the practice squad.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash
    On a positive note, Tony Jefferson is having a nice game tonight, as we speak. Name been called several times by announcers, for good things. Good for TJ!
    Posted from iOS app

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okiewaker View Post
    On a positive note, Tony Jefferson is having a nice game tonight, as we speak. Name been called several times by announcers, for good things. Good for TJ!
    I didn't realize he was starting. I checked the Arizona Cardinal website (right after I saw him), and he is listed as their starting SS. Good for TJ!

vCash

Here's a complete cut list.

Sooner waivers that I recall this offseason were...
    -Gabe Lynn was let go back in July. He hasn't gotten on anywhere else, so I think that was the end of the NFL road for him.
    - Tress Way was cut by the Bears. The Redskins immediately signed him, but they have another punter in camp still, so no telling if he's an NFL punter or not.

I highly suspect that the next few days, Tuesday and this weekend especially, are gonna be a bloodbath as far as cuts go. Include 'em in your prayers every night, both to avoid injury and to avoid a roster cut.

Administrator
    vCash

Yesterday's news, but in case anyone missed it, Gabe Ikard injured his ACL and will undergo season ending surgery. I don't know how it will work out with the Titans, they could place him on IR (which is what they'll probably do), or if they release him.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Jazz Reynolds, Cory Brandon, and Keenan Clayton cut. That may be the end of the road for Clayton, he has had a few shots over the last several years
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Trey Millard was placed on IR by the 49ers.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

I saw this on the New York Jets page of ESPN.com.

ESPN New York - Jalen Saunders back to full practice

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Keenan Clayton cut from cards.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

Aaron Colvin to the NFI list per PFT:

When the Jaguars drafted defensive back Aaron Colvin in the fourth round of May’s draft, they knew it would be some time before he’d be ready to help the team on the field.
    Colvin tore his ACL during the Senior Bowl early this year, an injury that led him to slip to Jacksonville in the draft as well as to the non-football injury list on Tuesday. The Jaguars made the move, which bars Colvin from practicing or playing for at least the first six weeks of the season, to drop their roster to 75 players. Colvin must be activated by Week 11 to play this season.

“We are really pleased with Aaron’s progress throughout the offseason and preseason,” Jaguars General Manager David Caldwell said on the team’s website. “He has been dedicated to his rehab from day one and worked extremely hard with our training and strength staff every day. He played at a high level at Oklahoma and we feel strongly about what he will bring to our roster in the future. He will continue his rehab and we will make a decision on his playing status for 2014 at the appropriate time.”

If Colvin makes a full recovery, the Jaguars should have a useful piece for their secondary in 2015 and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

vCash

Gabe Ikard was cut, but if he clears waivers, he'll spend the season on the Titans' IR.

btw, I watched Hard Knocks last night again and my gawd are the Falcons boring. I blame their lack of Sooners.

Administrator
    vCash

I know the season has started, but I wanted to update this thread. Corey Nelson made the 53 man roster for the Broncos. This is the most talented Bronco defense I've seen in the past 15 years (since I moved to Denver), and the fact that Corey made the roster speaks volumes. It's too bad we didn't get to see him play a full year last year, but I think it's safe to say he's fully recovered from his injury.

Also, Quinton Carter made the 53 man too, and is expected to see a lot of playing time this season. After two injury riddled seasons, it's great to see Q playing at such a high level.