Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Re: Does anyone here plan to vote for Janet Barresi?

Checking in, not being in OK and barely knowledgeable about her name. Why is she so bad / polarizing?
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Checking in, not being in OK and barely knowledgeable about her name. Why is she so bad / polarizing?
    From the outside looking in and from everything I've read and heard, she tried to do too much without seeking the input of others. There was a longtime (like, 20 years or so) Democrat named Sandy Garrett who was the previous state superintendent (it's an elected, not appointed position) so I think she may have felt some obligation to set the tone, make her mark, etc. immediately to show there's new leadership who's going to fix everything that we don't like about schools... like...

1- Those damn administrators. I think she tried unsuccessfully to get non-teaching/administrative money for both teacher pay raises and other initiatives. Didn't pass. Also was talk of consolidating districts, but don't think it every picked up steam.

2- No accountability. Let's spend millions on testing to ensure that our education money is being spent properly... except both testing firms used during her four years have botched the testing process and the testing methods are being called into question, especially whether it is best to let a single test determine whether a kid can go from third to fourth grade, rather than teachers and parents. (Currently the major issue of the election)

3- There's gotta be money somewhere! She has suggesting diverting funds from districts themselves (the money they use until the next check from the state comes in around summertime) and the "school activity fund" (money that had already been promised to districts, which they planned to use to fund the end of their school years) for other purposes, such as teacher pay increases, funding health insurance, etc. Neither idea went over very well with legislators or educators alike.

Basically, our state has shortchanged our schools, and schools have come to not rely on someone who should be their ally to help. As such, you're seeing a statewide rebellion from schools, legislators, you name it.

vCash

I want a new governor. Someone give me a candidate I can vote for this year.

Link

Gov. Mary Fallin vetoed a measure Tuesday that would relax the standards of a law requiring third-graders to read at a certain level or be held back.

Fallin said the measure would “gut” the law and return the state to “a broken system.”
    I am disappointed beyond disappointment.

Democrat
    00215 JOE DORMAN PO Box 2400 Oklahoma City
    OK 73101
    Republican
    00140 MARY FALLIN PO Box 590 Oklahoma City
    OK 73101
    00483 CH
    AD MOODY 200 N Harvey Ste 110 Oklahoma City
    OK 73102
    00547 DAX EWBANK 8324 S Broadway Guthrie
    OK 73044
    Independent
    00060 RICHARD PRAWDZIENSKI 1712 Timber Ridge Rd Edmond
    OK 73034
    00444 JOE SILLS 1232 SW
    92nd St Oklahoma City
    OK 73139
    00549 KIMBERLY WILLIS PO Box 57559 Oklahoma City
    OK 73157
    Who can tell me anything about the other declared candidates (pulled the list from the state election board site). Please, any reason at all to vote for someone besides Fallin. There's gotta be recourse for bad decisions, even if she's a shoo-in incumbent

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Pricetag's Avatar
    vCash

Not only did Fallin veto the bill, she waited until 11:59 PM last night to officially issue it, guaranteeing that the legislature, who passed it in overwhelming fashion (I think there were like six total votes against it in both houses), can't move to override her veto until today. She's hoping that the legislature won't be able to get it done before the session ends on Friday.

I mentioned that when we elected anything and everything with an R in 2010, that there were bound to be a couple of major dopes in there. Here's example number two.
    La ola es mía.

vCash

Yes, six voted against it, out of nearly 100. It was like 89-6. And here they are one more time:
    Rep. Marian Cooksey
    Rep. David Dank
    Rep. Sally Kern
    Rep. Reynolds
    Rep. Mike Ritze
    Rep. Paul Wesselhoft
    Sally Kern shouldn't get a vote, so really, it was only five.

I hope the state House raises a middle finger in her direction as much as they did for that firearms bill veto they overrode

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    2- No accountability. Let's spend millions on testing to ensure that our education money is being spent properly... except both testing firms used during her four years have botched the testing process and the testing methods are being called into question, especially whether it is best to let a single test determine whether a kid can go from third to fourth grade, rather than teachers and parents. (Currently the major issue of the election)
    I don't see how anyone could have viewed the testing fiasco last year and come out with any confidence in her leadership.

She never backed down from her insistance that last year was the fault of the districts, despite the fact that the larger districts quickly debunked the idea of technological limitations on their part. Then the contract with the testing company was extended right in the midst of it all!

Other states had sued the testing company and received monetary settlements. What did we get? Free testing, and promise of help from the testing company for our poor dumb districts this year!

When it happened again this year, in an election year, that's when Janet started coming hard and pissed after the testing company. Go figure.
    La ola es mía.

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Again, not being in OK. Why would the veto be a bad thing? Cursory review would seem to water down the reading requirements of 3rd grader's rather than support better reading skills. Like I said, cursory review...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Again, not being in OK. Why would the veto be a bad thing? Cursory review would seem to water down the reading requirements of 3rd grader's rather than support better reading skills. Like I said, cursory review...
    The veto keeps a flawed test in place that is almost (there are six very limited exceptions) an end-all to whether public school third graders get promoted to fourth grade. The way that the test was conducted was flawed (technical issues) the way that the test tests is flawed (it includes some special needs students)... the list goes on, it's the primary reason I started this thread, those damn tests.

vCash

Glory glory Hallelujah...
    Link

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ton Loc's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    It will be interesting to see which Democrat comes out of the primary in the Superintendent race. Anybody know anything about these four?
    Jack Herron

Graduated from OU and OSU
    Played basketball for IBA.

I don't know ton about him professionally except that he seems to know every single person in the education and sports field, he can't stand Mary Fallin, Janet Barresi cost him his last job, and he wants to combine tons of school districts. Got to know him by hanging out with him at a ton of non-profit events over the years when my ex worked for/with him for 3-4 years. Nice guy but I haven't seen him in a bit.
    It takes one to know one, and I know you don't know a damn thing.

vCash

Janet Barresi couldn't think of a better word to describe the override than "pathetic." This is not the tone of someone who is in it to make things better for the children of Oklahoma--this is the tone of a bitter politician who is beginning to realize that the folks of this state do not support her agenda.
    La ola es mía.

vCash

Hold the Hallelujah chorus...
    Link

I am really not sure what the hell is going on at this point, but it sounds less likely that legislature is going to adjourn as scheduled on Friday. They must, by law, adjourn by May 30

vCash

Oh, for Pete's sake. So now they're trying to force a decision on which stinks worse, Common Core, or automatically holding back third graders because of a single test?

Wow. Way to go, legislature. Can't you guys get back to banning Sharia law or something?
    La ola es mía.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pricetag View Post
    Can't you guys get back to banning Sharia law or something?
    No, the state had to pay out like $300K to settle a lawsuit on that front recently. No joke, $300K

So anyways, yeah, it does seem like they just traded crappy testing for Common Core.

I think there's a valuable lesson to be had in all of this: Don't depend on government for sh!t. Take care of your own health, your own kid's education, your own quality of life. I don't mean that you shouldn't expect ERs to handle true emergencies or keep kids out of public school, I just mean that you better eat fruits and vegetables and read your kids lots of books.

If you expect the government to Obamacare your next five heart surgeries or provide an Ivy League education at your local K-12... bwahahahahahaha

For the love of gawd Oklahoma, please fund something besides horizontal drilling this legislative session

She was elected on the promise to fix what was wrong with Oklahoma Education. A monumental task in itself due to years of mismanagement, a lack of accountability, dumbed down standards and the biggest problem... teacher's unions. Did she make mistakes? You bet she did, just like her predecessors did. I give her a lot of credit for taking on the establishment, which for too many years was content in our schools turning out legions of illiterates into our society.
    If you want to give the teacher's a much deserved pay raise, try wading through the largesse of the Administrator's budgets. That's were the ire of the teacher's should be. Really what do these people do all day?

Does anyone here really believe that going back to that is a better alternative?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by champions77 View Post
    Does anyone here really believe that going back to that is a better alternative?
    I have given this a moment's thought, and have decided that if schools are hopelessly lost, perhaps this will make parents want to take their children's educations more seriously and not be dependent on schools to teach kids everything they need to know... not just reading and writing, but all parental aspects, that seem to fall more and more on teachers and schools.

Personally, looking at Oklahoma public schools has made me want to teach my own toddler as much as I can early-on.

vCash

Dang, Barresi is slinging the mud, isn't she? I don't know how anyone could view her attack ads and be inspired to vote for her.

She's banking on people being distracted and frightened by words like "liberal," "bureaucrats," and "labor unions." Anything to distract from her track record as State Superintendent, I guess.

The "Hoffmeister is against kids with special needs" point is particularly unsavory. I'd be inclined to vote against Barresi on general principle for that one.
    La ola es mía.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Anyone that can afford it is nuts if they don't send their kids to private schools

vCash

It has been awhile, but rest assured, I have not waivered on either point: I will not vote for Mary Fallin this primary, I will not vote for Janet Barresi either this primary nor the general election if she makes it that far. If I had multiple votes, I would vote as many times as possible against Barresi. The attack ads... the lies... the lies involving our beloved University of Oklahoma... they must stop tomorrow. Please, voters, join me in voting this state super outta office on Tuesday. If you only vote in one election, vote in this one

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pricetag View Post
    Dang, Barresi is slinging the mud, isn't she? I don't know how anyone could view her attack ads and be inspired to vote for her.

She's banking on people being distracted and frightened by words like "liberal," "bureaucrats," and "labor unions." Anything to distract from her track record as State Superintendent, I guess.

The "Hoffmeister is against kids with special needs" point is particularly unsavory. I'd be inclined to vote against Barresi on general principle for that one.
    Conservative, God, Faith, Family values, etc... are used by most OK politicians (except for dems on the conservative part). Apparently liberal, bureaucrats and labor unions must work because they are used year after year by OK politicians.