Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Does anyone here plan to vote for Janet Barresi?

The latest in a long line of crazy.

She's our current state superintendent of schools. I voted for her four years ago because I liked the work that she had done with charter schools and thought it would be nice to get fresh ideas in after two decades of Democrat Sandy Garrett.

Anyways, I'm curious if anyone here still supports her and why.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Does anyone here plan to vote for Janet Barresi?

Nope. She's making decisions that help her pet chartered schools but are hurting public schools...especially those in the rural areas. She is an elitist.

She also rehired McGraw to administer the state acheivement tests after they royally screwed it up last year. Guess what? They screwed them up again this year with week long delays because of IT problems. So my youngest has sat in class all week doing basically nothing but busy work while the company Barresi hired gets their **** together.

BTW, the public school teachers hate her and it's not based on political views.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Nope.

In fact, I might vote against her twice.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

Republican teacher here...I know of Zero support for Ms Barresi. We'll see if the voters in the west stick with her. In NE OK she will lose in a landslide. Good riddance. Primary voting is on June 24. Janet Baressi may not even make it to November.

vCash

I have already bragged to my Democrat friends that as a registered Republican, I get to vote against her and they likely won't. They seemed a bit jealous

It's not just that her decision making isn't sound... she's conducted herself in a way that is confrontational, temperamental, arrogant... pretty much everything you don't want setting an example for teachers of our children.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Pricetag's Avatar
    vCash

We elected anything and everything Republican in 2010. There was bound to be a major dope or two in there. If we elect this lady again, we're the dopes.
    La ola es mía.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I guess I don't follow education issues enough. She supports common core which offends some people...I don't know if it is good or bad...

She supports consolidatiing school districts which I strongly support...but not many dems do. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see what comes up election time.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pricetag View Post
    We elected anything and everything Republican in 2010. There was bound to be a major dope or two in there. If we elect this lady again, we're the dopes.
    fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again.

I guess I don't follow education issues enough. She supports common core which offends some people...I don't know if it is good or bad...

She supports consolidatiing school districts which I strongly support...but not many dems do. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see what comes up election time.
    The biggest issues for me on the Barresi front are the botched testing issues two years in a row (with the same vendor that we payed millions) and the belief that she somehow thinks that schools are hoarding money so give the teachers raises with money you apparently already have (administrators have said that existing funds help schools make payroll till the next funding check comes in and is not spare money).

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post

The biggest issues for me on the Barresi front are the botched testing issues two years in a row (with the same vendor that we payed millions) and the belief that she somehow thinks that schools are hoarding money so give the teachers raises with money you apparently already have (administrators have said that existing funds help schools make payroll till the next funding check comes in and is not spare money).
    Yep, the McGraw botches 2 years in a row would make them candidates for our corrections department...

I know many teachers don't like her but I always wondered if that was because she wasn't one of their own...

vCash

I know many teachers don't like her but I always wondered if that was because she wasn't one of their own
    I think they'd be more inclined to support someone who showed more support for them. Instead, the strongest support seems to be for excessive testing. The state isn't trusting schools and teachers to decide whether a student can progress to the next grade now, a test is.

A twice botched, computer-error laden test.

vCash

Sure you can. After all, you know who said that, and you're still voting Republican.

Or at least claiming Republican. Maybe I'm getting fooled.

More epicycles!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TAFBSooner View Post
    Or at least claiming Republican. Maybe I'm getting fooled.
    I vote mostly Republican, but living in Oklahoma they tend to be the candidates that run. I am not afraid to admit that I have voted for Democrats, though. I think Jari Askins would have made a fine governor, even if it would have meant less weird stories about Christina Fallin for the past four years

It will be interesting to see which Democrat comes out of the primary in the Superintendent race. Anybody know anything about these four?

Jack Herron - Government Relations Director, Professional Oklahoma Educators
    Ivan Holmes - Retired educator and college professor
    John Cox - Superintendent, Peggs school district in Cherokee County
    Freda Deskin - Longtime educator

vCash

I vote mostly Republican, but living in Oklahoma they tend to be the candidates that run. I am not afraid to admit that I have voted for Democrats, though. I think Jari Askins would have made a fine governor, even if it would have meant less weird stories about Christina Fallin for the past four years

It will be interesting to see which Democrat comes out of the primary in the Superintendent race. Anybody know anything about these four?
    Until I do some due diligence, I'll provisionally support the actual teacher.

Like you mentioned, the real fun will be who beats Barresi in the R primary.

More epicycles!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Nope. She's making decisions that help her pet chartered schools but are hurting public schools...especially those in the rural areas. She is an elitist.

She also rehired McGraw to administer the state acheivement tests after they royally screwed it up last year. Guess what? They screwed them up again this year with week long delays because of IT problems. So my youngest has sat in class all week doing basically nothing but busy work while the company Barresi hired gets their **** together.

BTW, the public school teachers hate her and it's not based on political views.
    My sister is a teacher and have a lot of family that are teachers or former teachers and friends from high school that are teachers. They represent a wide variety of political thought and none have anything positive to say about Barresi.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TAFBSooner View Post
    Like you mentioned, the real fun will be who beats Barresi in the R primary.
    It's fun already... their debates have been quite... vocal

The magic date to circle, unless you are registered independent or not registered at all, is June 24. That's primary day. Up till then, I'm going to be a very grouchy phone answerer and mail retriever, as I suspect that the ads and push polling will be relentless in the days leading up to the election.

Vote Joy Hofmeister ...for now at least

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouwasp View Post
    Republican teacher here...I know of Zero support for Ms Barresi. We'll see if the voters in the west stick with her. In NE OK she will lose in a landslide. Good riddance. Primary voting is on June 24. Janet Baressi may not even make it to November.
    I will abstain if she ends up winning the primary.

vCash

I'm concerned that we haven't seen any commericals or anything about this race. I'm scared that Janet will win the primary due to apathy and then the general because that's just what we do.

She has added her maiden name, it looks like. Janet Costello-Barresi. Joy Hofmeister thinks she's trying to confuse voters. I think she's right, but I also wonder if Janet thinks the "Costello" will get her support from Latin voters. I haven't often heard of a brand name changing when the brand wasn't bad.
    La ola es mía.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I will abstain if she ends up winning the primary.
    You live in Oklahoma now?

In any event, here's an update on the crazy:

Earlier, she proposed that money in the state school activity fund could go to health insurance instead... money promised to schools that schools were relying on to finish out the year.

She also apparently is seeking all correspondence between Tulsa area schools and her top Republican opponent.

Speaking of opponents, they're all apparently united in their quest against Common Core and Barresi.

If I were a state school official, from a lowly janitor to a district superintendent, I would probably be crying endlessly. They're such bad ideas and the schools just have no support from this administration. It's just all levels of bad regardless of whether you believe in a public education system or not

Did we mention the testing sh!t yet? The state House vastly overwrote that mess late last week.

vCash

She's like a rock star wrecking the f'n hotel room before leaving town (I hope).
    La ola es mía.

vCash

She reminds me of Obama's standing with Democrats in red states... same party, but go away or you'll damage our credibility with voters. And no, we won't support you on issues our constituents don't like, because we'd rather be re-elected than be party-loyal.

So when Obama tries to justify prolonging a decision on Keystone XL, red state Democrats flip out.

And when Barresi tries to justify millions on botched testing... don't expect any support for anyone, Republicans included.

Well... except these six that voted "nay:"
    Rep. Marian Cooksey
    Rep. David Dank
    Rep. Sally Kern
    Rep. Reynolds
    Rep. Mike Ritze
    Rep. Paul Wesselhoft
    SF.com voters --- who wants to kick those 6 out too?

I dunno if we can--- some might be running unopposed