SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Medical types..a little help, please...

My 32 year old son has been diagnosed with Meniere's Disease, after a big
    bucket load of tests...CT, MRI, spinal tap, etc. and the last was an ENG. I guess
    this isn't life threatening, but the attacks (vertigo) are really debilitating and
    more than a little unsettling. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Doing a lot of web research...interested in anyone with personal experience/
    knowledge.....TIA!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Medical types..a little help, please...

I had a friend back in the 80's that had a roommate that was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease. His symptoms were like those you describe. This guy was so dysfunctional he had to quit school and move back home. That's no solace to you or your son, but just letting you know others are affected.

I would suggest finding a support group for your son, and getting informed on current treatments.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

First of all, I' m really sorry to hear this. I have some inner ear issues and it is no fun at all. You may want to check out and post on healthboards or some other popular medical sites or the disease organization site. I am sympathetic because I have had a disquilibrium disorder for the past few months. I missed a month of work because I was unable to drive or get out of the house. It has gotten better and I can function fine although I still have feelings of imbalance. I completely understand the frustration because these type of issues, while not in themselves serious, are nonetheless very debilitating at times, and others sometimes don't understand. Unfortunately, one thing I have learned is treatment options for inner ear and related disorders is limited. There are a few drugs like Meclizin or Valium which can help some with the symptoms, but there is no cure per se. In fact, I will never even have an objective cause discovered, and I have been to an ENT and an otologist who specializes in inner ear and dizziness issues. I am hoping this will pass eventually, though that is not a sure thing. Again, sorry to hear it. The otologist admitted the ear is incredibly complex and he recommended I just keep living as normal so my vestibular system will keep adapting and hopefully be back to normal. I know MD is not what I have but I am sympathetic.

vCash

Thanks, we want to get him to get a second opinion, preferably the Mayo Clinic, but
    he's kinda stubborn. Have read about several approaches, but not sure. He's young,
    with a three year old and a second due in July, so it's tough as all get out on them. I'm
    so glad that I'm retired and can chauffeur, babysit or whatever they need.

Been on a number of sites and read about a lot of things. His symptoms are similar to
    BPPV, as well as Meniere's, so that's why we (wife and I) want a second, because it took
    a fairly long time to diagnose. Just so puzzling.....

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Rock, prayers for your boy...that sucks. Good luck and keep us informed.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Prayers for all of Yall. I dont have a clue about the disease. I do know when I was younger I had no Prob workin from heights. as Ive gotten older Ive noticed I get vertigo just from seeing Pictures taken from really High places.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

My father has a fairly strong case of Meniere's and I have a mild one. We were once told it was because of our German decent, but I'm not convinced of that. Luckily my father has only had one instance where he had to be taken to the hospital. We have both found that simply keeping the ears as clean as possible helps with the vertigo. But I have also found that my vertigo has gotten slightly worse with pregnancy. I don't really have much helpful information for you, but i can sympathize greatly with your son.
    Life is not about the number of breaths you take, but the moments that leave you breathless.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Thanks, we want to get him to get a second opinion, preferably the Mayo Clinic, but
    he's kinda stubborn. Have read about several approaches, but not sure. He's young,
    with a three year old and a second due in July, so it's tough as all get out on them. I'm
    so glad that I'm retired and can chauffeur, babysit or whatever they need.

Been on a number of sites and read about a lot of things. His symptoms are similar to
    BPPV, as well as Meniere's, so that's why we (wife and I) want a second, because it took
    a fairly long time to diagnose. Just so puzzling.....
    He really should get a second opinion. Is it possible it is caused by the inner ear crystals being out of place? Some forms of vertigo are caused by this and a clinician can do the Epley manuever and manipulate the patient's head in order to get the crystals back into place. It is very effective if that is the cause. I tried the Epley and it did not work. The clinicians were all in agreement mine had another cause, possibly a viral inner ear infection.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by lexsooner View Post
    He really should get a second opinion. Is it possible it is caused by the inner ear crystals being out of place? Some forms of vertigo are caused by this and a clinician can do the Epley manuever and manipulate the patient's head in order to get the crystals back into place. It is very effective if that is the cause. I tried the Epley and it did not work. The clinicians were all in agreement mine had another cause, possibly a viral inner ear infection.
    There has been some discussion about the crystals. We're pushing hard for him
    to get a second. He doesn't want to go to the Mayo but there are a number of
    ENT's in our area. My daughter is an RN, BSN and on his case about the second, too.
    So, it'll happen sooner rather than later.....

vCash

There has been some discussion about the crystals. We're pushing hard for him
    to get a second. He doesn't want to go to the Mayo but there are a number of
    ENT's in our area. My daughter is an RN, BSN and on his case about the second, too.
    So, it'll happen sooner rather than later.....
    You might also want to look at otologists or neurotologists (not neurologists), who are ENTs who subspecialize in inner ear/dizziness disorders. The amazing thing I have discovered since having this condition is how many people of all ages have similar issues, all kinds, from traditional room spinning vertigo to balance issues. The common thread seems to be the fact these conditions don't go away quickly and how they are so frustrating because once the bad stuff is ruled out by an MRI and other scans, it is treated like a minor ailment even though it is often very debilitating and can keep you from living your life. I really wish your son well and hope he gets better. I think his youthful age is big plus. Please keep us posted. I would like to know how it goes.

vCash

Prayers Bro , I aint joking Love Yall
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

vCash

Welp, here's where it is at this point, his GP agrees with the diagnosis
    and has given him a med that is supposed to help handle the dizziness and
    okayed him to go back to work. I'm pretty sure that my chauffeuring will
    be in play so I guess that time will tell. I'll know more this weekend about
    his plans. My boy comes by his being stubborn honestly, so we'll see. I do
    appreciate the kind words and support. Boomer!

vCash

Love ya Bro. wish I could do more than Just send up a Prayer!

vCash

I'm curious what kind of medication the doctor is prescribing. I was told to use Meclizine (Dramamine Less Drowsy or Bonine), and also got a prescription for Valium. They both help some. I take the Meclizine every day and try and avoid the Valium as much as possible because it is such an addictive narcotic. The other drugs of which I am aware for dizziness/imbalance are prescription anti-nausea drugs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by lexsooner View Post
    I'm curious what kind of medication the doctor is prescribing. I was told to use Meclizine (Dramamine Less Drowsy or Bonine), and also got a prescription for Valium. They both help some. I take the Meclizine every day and try and avoid the Valium as much as possible because it is such an addictive narcotic. The other drugs of which I am aware for dizziness/imbalance are prescription anti-nausea drugs.
    Here's the latest, his doc prescribed Meclizine for the nausea. Based on how strong and
    confident he sounded today when I talked to him, it does the trick. He did a test drive
    to see if he could do okay, so he goes back to work tomorrow and he's going to drive
    himself. I can't tell you how much joy I felt when I talked to him...strong, really sure
    of himself. bossing his three year old around...so much different from earlier when this
    thing took him down. Got all the fingers and toes crossed

vCash

Gonna keep praying Bro. Keep us updated.

vCash

I'm so glad to hear it! I hope and pray he will continue to improve and the symptoms will leave him eventually. My internist said Meclizine is the most effective drug for his patients with vertigo, which is great because you can buy it over the counter. For the nausea, he might also get a pair of sea bands, which are worn on the wrists and have these pressure points in the areas of the wrist which can help alleviate nausea.

During the month I spent incapacitated, I just longed for things to be back to normal. I would wake up in the morning and even though I felt ok in bed, I still realized I was not working and was not in my house and my life had been disrupted in a major way. My folks were helping to care for me and they are in their 80s, so I should have been helping them and I felt bad about that. So, I fully understand the joy you are both feeling over a return to a normal life for your son. I really think his symptoms will pass for the time being, and at the worst, they may come back sometimes, but at least he will know how to treat them.

I strongly believe your son should find an ENT or otologist, even if he is getting better and can function. If he actually has Meniere's Disease, there are hearing loss implications and an ENT will have his hearing tested. Also, an ENT may want to look at diuretics to reduce fluid in the inner ear or a new drug specifically for Meniere's, Serc or something like that, which can reduce the frequency of the attacks. The ongoing treatment of Meniere's requires more than a GP no matter how good and trusted the GP.
    Last edited by lexsooner; 4/27/2014 at 09:49 PM.

vCash

He has an ENT, he's the one who originally diagnosed Meniere's, His
    GP agreed with the diagnosis and did the prescription of Meclizine. He's
    had his hearing tested and it is the same as before the onset. They also
    put him on a diuretic and a statin, so, based on the reading that I have
    done at the Mayo website, WebMD and four or five others it appears that
    the bases have all been covered, at least for now. We'll watch, just like
    the hawk does the chicken coop!