How much practice time did Cody Thomas get during the Spring?

He came here because he was told he would be given a chance to play baseball and football. I hope he got some time time at QB because they haven't given him any chance at baseball at all. He has zero AB's in conference season

Administrator
    vCash

Re: How much practice time did Cody Thomas get during the Spring?

As far as I know, he made all of the practices. I know he's been in a lot of pictures from the Spring, so he's definitely getting time.

I'm not following baseball super close, and I know he had some AB prior to conference play and hadn't done anything (I know you can't judge a kid on a limited number of appearances). I haven't watched him enough to know if he's ready to see a lot of time on the diamond.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I was definitely surprised that Mayfield got as many snaps as he did in the spring game. Those reps could have gone to Thomas or Hansen(sp?) who are eligible to be the backup this season. But since regular practices are closed, it could be that the spring game was the exception and Thomas got plenty of practice reps. He is on a football scholarship, so football takes precedence when there is a conflict with baseball.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I was definitely surprised that Mayfield got as many snaps as he did in the spring game. Those reps could have gone to Thomas or Hansen(sp?) who are eligible to be the backup this season. But since regular practices are closed, it could be that the spring game was the exception and Thomas got plenty of practice reps. He is on a football scholarship, so football takes precedence when there is a conflict with baseball.
    There's an NCAA appeal in the works for Mayfield, so it's still possible he could be a back up this year (although, it's probably doubtful). In any event, Mayfield will run the scout team this season, and he's probably the next-best QB on the roster, I guess that's why he got more snaps. Stoops also said that Bell could be used if needed.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    There's an NCAA appeal in the works for Mayfield, so it's still possible he could be a back up this year (although, it's probably doubtful). In any event, Mayfield will run the scout team this season, and he's probably the next-best QB on the roster, I guess that's why he got more snaps. Stoops also said that Bell could be used if needed.
    Thanks, I didn't know an appeal was still in process - I thought it was a done deal Mayfield sits out in '14. I'd still think the guys known to be eligible would take priority. But as many have said, it's better to not read too much into the spring game.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Eschbach was just on the radio with George Schroeder and they talked about the appeal that's still out there.
    Schroeder also brought up the theory that Mayfield is probably the most expendable but that doesn't make much sense sunce the qb's are off limits for contact.