Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: The writing is on the wall for the NCAA

The wheels are in motion...

If the reports are accurate, the "new system" will be in place by 2015. Now, will the NCAA accept their lower position on the totem pole? I don't think they have a choice, it's either accept it or fade away.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The sky is not falling. Just watch.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ashley View Post
    The sky is not falling. Just watch.
    I certainly didn't think it was (I'm sure there are some that think that way). This is a much needed and long overdue change.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Since the NCAA was of and for its members, this is more on the order of a secession than a revolution. The members with less money/power can choose to either acquiesce in their new second class citizenship or force a formal split and watch the money/power head down the road.
    Now, relative to the 'lower' members, the Power 5 have all the cards. They have the, wait for it, money and power. But that might not be the entire game. I"m not so certain that such organizations are immune from legal challenge, a la OU and Georgia's (?) tv rights challenge. The P5 might just find that they've opened a can of worms and may come to look back on what went before with some nostalgia. Not saying it's sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. There are a lot of people out there who have no love in their hearts for big time college sports.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Since the NCAA was of and for its members, this is more on the order of a secession than a revolution. The members with less money/power can choose to either acquiesce in their new second class citizenship or force a formal split and watch the money/power head down the road.
    Now, relative to the 'lower' members, the Power 5 have all the cards. They have the, wait for it, money and power. But that might not be the entire game. I"m not so certain that such organizations are immune from legal challenge, a la OU and Georgia's (?) tv rights challenge. The P5 might just find that they've opened a can of worms and may come to look back on what went before with some nostalgia. Not saying it's sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. There are a lot of people out there who have no love in their hearts for big time college sports.
    Good analogy.

I'm not going to say the P5 will get through this without push-back, but I think the NCAA v. OU/Georgia case doesn't really translate to now. College football was just beginning to recognize what they had (in terms of a commodity). Fast forward to today, and this is a money train. College football outgrew (for lack of a better word) the NCAA years ago. The members themselves are to blame for that, and now they view the system as "too broke to fix". Rather than going through the rigors of revamping the existing framework, they want to distance themselves from it without killing it outright. I think they realize that even though they have the money and power, they still need the 'lower' members. By keeping the NCAA around in some capacity, it helps the lesser programs (in essence meaning 'no change' to those schools) while allotting themselves the power to change the way things work. I think even the NCAA executive committee knows this is the only viable way to move forward (especially in the face of the unionization and lawsuits).