Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: Manning makes out like a bandit in stillwater

Quote Originally Posted by lexsooner View Post
    No, but I think the issue is OSU is a public institution of higher learning and Manning is an entertainment sports celebrity who has little to offer in the area of thinking, innovation, creativity, or intellectual stimulation. I can see a university paying a speaking fee for a Nobel laureate, innovative business leader, musician, or international statesman who can enrich students' minds, but some football player whose own older brother the energy executive says is nothing more than a dumb jock?
    Personally, I couldn't care less who/what OSU spends their money on, but schools bring in people to speak all the time.

As for Manning, he's pretty far from being a "dumb jock". I suspect his brother was saying that in jest, as they are very close (much closer than Peyton and Eli).

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Personally, I couldn't care less who/what OSU spends their money on, but schools bring in people to speak all the time.

As for Manning, he's pretty far from being a "dumb jock". I suspect his brother was saying that in jest, as they are very close (much closer than Peyton and Eli).
    Well, I actually don't think he's dumb, probably average or a little above average in intelligence, and his brother said it in anger because an energy trade magazine interviewed him and spent much of the interview asking him about his brothers and football. Bro, who is a very prominent N.O. energy exec, said something like his brothers were both dumb jocks whose idea of an investment is buying a few pizza restaurants. He is probably at least a few clicks smarter than his brothers, but he did say it out of anger or irritation.

A couple of year ago OSU apparently also invited Shaq to speak, and attenders said he spent much of the time making erection jokes, so you have to wonder about a student board which keeps inviting sports entertainment figures. I am sure Manning had a lot more to offer than Shaq, but come on pokies, are you an institution of higher learning or not?
    Last edited by lexsooner; 4/21/2014 at 04:35 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    More successful than Phelps?
    Yes, and it's not even close. Start naming the great athletes that he competed against. If simply being the best in your field makes you successful, then nobody can touch Joey Chestnut. The field you succeed in is important.

vCash

Well, I actually don't think he's dumb, probably average or a little above average in intelligence, and his brother said it in anger because an energy trade magazine interviewed him and spent much of the interview asking him about his brothers and football. Bro, who is a very prominent N.O. energy exec, said something like his brothers were both dumb jocks whose idea of an investment is buying a few pizza restaurants. He is probably at least a few clicks smarter than his brothers, but he did say it out of anger or irritation.

A couple of year ago OSU apparently also invited Shaq to speak, and attenders said he spent much of the time making erection jokes, so you have to wonder about a student board which keeps inviting sports entertainment figures. I am sure Manning had a lot more to offer than Shaq, but come on pokies, are you an institution of higher learning or not?
    OU brought in Kel this year. As in...Kenan and Kel. Are we disqualified from being an institute of higher learning?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Yes, and it's not even close. Start naming the great athletes that he competed against. If simply being the best in your field makes you successful, then nobody can touch Joey Chestnut. The field you succeed in is important.
    What the hell? Naming or not naming his competition doesn't add any value to what he accomplished in the WORLD of swimming.
    What kind of ****ed up logic is that?
    Manning didn't beat his fellow QB's in the league. He's beaten defenses.
    Let's name alllllll the guys Tiger Woods beat in golf tournaments. Mmmk.

vCash

OU brought in Kel this year. As in...Kenan and Kel. Are we disqualified from being an institute of higher learning?
    If the student union board wants to book some comedian to do his act in order to entertain students, in addition to having movies, musical acts, that's fine. It's not the same as a university inviting and handsomely paying entertainment figures as serious speakers. Shaq and Manning's currency are as athletes and public figures in the entertainment industry. OSU's mission would have been better served by inviting an ex-President, Bill Gates, Stephen Hawking, to speak. OSU paid Shaq as a serious speaker and got dick jokes in return.
    Last edited by lexsooner; 4/21/2014 at 07:55 PM.

Administrator
    vCash

I know the eldest Manning son is a pretty smart guy, who had his football career cut short because of health issues. I certainly can't speak to Peyton's intelligence like his own brother could. What I can tell you (for fact) is that Peyton's investments are far more sophisticated than a chain of pizza joints.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

If the student union board wants to book some comedian to do his act in order to entertain students, in addition to having movies, musical acts, that's fine. It's not the same as a university inviting and handsomely paying entertainment figures as serious speakers. Shaq and Manning's currency are as athletes and public figures in the entertainment industry. OSU's mission would have been better served by inviting an ex-President, Bill Gates, Stephen Hawking, to speak. OSU paid Shaq as a serious speaker and got dick jokes in return.
    Those listed (except Shaq) get a whole lot more money for speaking engagements than Manning does. Bill Clinton now gets $500,000 to 750,000 per speaking engagement, he made $13.4 million in 2012 on speaking fees alone.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Those listed (except Shaq) get a whole lot more money for speaking engagements than Manning does. Bill Clinton now gets $500,000 to 750,000 per speaking engagement, he made $13.4 million in 2012 on speaking fees alone.
    But there's a discount if he can bang your wife. Per Norman Mailer.

vCash

But there's a discount if he can bang your wife. Per Norman Mailer.
    But Mailer reserves the right to stab her.

vCash

What the hell? Naming or not naming his competition doesn't add any value to what he accomplished in the WORLD of swimming.
    What kind of ****ed up logic is that?
    If he competed and won against such great athletes, why can't you name them?

Manning didn't beat his fellow QB's in the league. He's beaten defenses.
    ...and those defenses that he beat were overflowing with the greatest athletes in the world.

Let's name alllllll the guys Tiger Woods beat in golf tournaments. Mmmk.
    Feel free to. I don't see the point, though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    And I would certainly hope this is the case. Sports certainly does teach lessons that can be applied in other parts of life, but that can't compare to someone that spent 8 years as the most powerful person in the world.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Australia's Ian Thorpe was probably the biggest name he went head to head against, but if you're looking at swimming history, he was competing against the great Mark Spitz for the all-time Olympic gold medal record.

If I were to bash Peyton to make Phelps' accomplishments look better, I'd say that Peyton just achieved a historic record in the NFL as well: First quarterback to lose to the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl but let's not go there. I don't even like the Seahawks let alone Pete Carroll and was hoping that they'd win it all if it couldn't be my Packers. He has quite a few Colts quarterback achievements and has gotten quite a few individual honors in his career as well.

Also, before anyone argues that Phelps was an individual and Peyton was on a team, Phelps won a lot of Olympics gold medals on four-man relays.

vCash

...and those defenses that he beat were overflowing with the greatest athletes in the world.

Feel free to. I don't see the point, though.
    What kind of logic is this? Because I don't know world class swimmers? I'm not a swimming fan but I can appreciate someone who has won the most gold medals in Olympic history. Not in table tennis either, in several different distances in swimming.
    I like your posts man but you've gone off the deep end here.
    I would probably prefer to hear Manning speak over Phelps but his accomplishments don't take a backseat to a Peyton Manning.

vCash

The greatest athletes in the world are solely on NFL defenses?
    I'm gonna bet some money that a lot of those guys can't even swim.
    How do you define a great athlete? On speed and strength? By how many different sports you're good at?
    Silliness.

vCash

What kind of logic is this? Because I don't know world class swimmers? I'm not a swimming fan but I can appreciate someone who has won the most gold medals in Olympic history. Not in table tennis either, in several different distances in swimming.
    I like your posts man but you've gone off the deep end here.
    I would probably prefer to hear Manning speak over Phelps but his accomplishments don't take a backseat to a Peyton Manning.
    It's not surprising that you don't know who he was competing against. Very few people do, because it's not a major sport, and thus pulls from a much smaller gene pool. This lowers the level of competition considerably, so the achievements aren't as meaningful. If swimming became the new football in America, Phelps would cease to be noteworthy, and might completely disappear. The amount of money, attention, and participation in football in America is exponentially higher than swimming. That causes talent gaps, and there's no way around it.

Don't get me wrong. What Phelps did was impressive. He's just not on Peyton's level, and Phelps was by far the most successful of the three mentioned.

The greatest athletes in the world are solely on NFL defenses?
    I'm gonna bet some money that a lot of those guys can't even swim.
    How do you define a great athlete? On speed and strength? By how many different sports you're good at?
    Silliness.
    They're not ALL on NFL defenses. Some are on offense. Some play basketball, a few play baseball, and then there are many in other countries. Swimming is waaaayy down the list.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Skill sets and body types vary from sport to sport and I really don't think there's much of a value judgement that can be made between sports as to which is 'most athletic' or 'talented'.
    Not taking an ounce from Peyton, but I really doubt he'd be much more than a talented amateur cross country skier or marathon runner. How about decathalon? How about all sorts of sports we don't play much here in this country? soccer, for instance, which is generally accepted, along with basketball, to have the best all around athletes in the world (the typically OL is, frankly, pretty horrifically out of shape for any sort of extended aerobic activity. Not that I'd really want to get into it with them in five second bursts.)
    All that said, if you want to crap on baseball or cricket, by all means, go right ahead. But those, along with billiards, bowling, croquet and the like are not sports, but games.

There, now if that don't rattle the wasp's nest, I don't know what will!
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Skill sets and body types vary from sport to sport and I really don't think there's much of a value judgement that can be made between sports as to which is 'most athletic' or 'talented'.
    I don't recall ever saying that Peyton Manning is incredibly athletic. By my criteria of athleticism, he is not an elite athlete in the way guys like Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Lebron James, Calvin Johnson etc. are. Talent may be a different story, but it gets tricky there. What I said was successful.

Not taking an ounce from Peyton, but I really doubt he'd be much more than a talented amateur cross country skier or marathon runner. How about decathalon? How about all sorts of sports we don't play much here in this country? soccer, for instance, which is generally accepted, along with basketball, to have the best all around athletes in the world (the typically OL is, frankly, pretty horrifically out of shape for any sort of extended aerobic activity. Not that I'd really want to get into it with them in five second bursts.)
    Obviously even great athletes will be better at certain sports. I'll try to explain what I'm saying with a made up example.

Population: 150,000,000
    Sport A: 10 out of 15 people play on organized team in their life. Being the best player in Sport A makes you the best out of 100,000,000 people.
    Sport B: 1 out of 15 people play on organized team in their life. Being the best player in Sport B makes you the best out of 10,000,000

Being the best out of 100,000,000 is far more significant than being the best out of 10,000,000. I have no idea how swimming and football compare, but I know that far more people are trying to play on the football team than the swimming team, and oftentimes, people are on the swim team because they could not succeed at other sports. There are no over-involved dads watching elementary school/middle school playgrounds trying to find the next great swimmer to add to their team. Many young kids (and their fathers) want to be the next great quarterback. Nobody says that about swimming in America.

I know that other countries love soccer. In those countries, a lot of the great athletes go to that sport. Those pressures create countries where their best athletes are soccer players. That is definitely not the case in America. Having said that, soccer still ranks far higher than swimming in America. Other countries like Cuba love baseball, and they produce baseball players like Yasiel Puig. Are there any major countries where swimming is the primary sport? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I know of none.

All that said, if you want to crap on baseball or cricket, by all means, go right ahead. But those, along with billiards, bowling, croquet and the like are not sports, but games.
    While it is difficult to differentiate between sports and games sometimes, a steroid epidemic is a pretty clear indicator of which side it falls on. You may think baseball is boring, but it's clearly a sport.

vCash

I think there is a strong argument the NBA, overall, has the best athletes in the world. I can't think of any other sport which requires as much athleticism, quickness, jumping ability, strength, coordination and precision skills, and conditioning, all in the bodies of mostly very tall and large players.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CatfishSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I don't recall ever saying that Peyton Manning is incredibly athletic. By my criteria of athleticism, he is not an elite athlete in the way guys like Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Lebron James, Calvin Johnson etc. are. Talent may be a different story, but it gets tricky there. What I said was successful.
    Phelps is far more "successful" than Manning. Phelps is an all-time Olympic Great with how many Gold medals? Manning is a great football player, but his legacy will no doubt include a team-based achievement factor and he is just not there. He's a great football player but he is not more successful than Phelps by any means. I would bet more people "play" swimming worldwide than American Football...so your population analysis, while very interesting, is inconsequential. You have a very apparent US/football-centric bias....
    Last edited by CatfishSooner; 4/22/2014 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added "football" to "US/football-centric bias?
    Wakey Wakey Eggs & Bakey...