Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Manning makes out like a bandit in stillwater

I'm not going to read all of that bull**** because this aegument ended when you didn't understand the need to name every player Eldrick Woods has beaten. You missed your own, point.
    Swimming is probably as a whole just as big world wide as North American football.
    I could give two ****s really but you're a bit dense if you don't think guys that can swim at world class speed at different distances aren't elite athletes.
    It borderlines some guys I knew in college who actually took the Bo Jackson when is that Tour de France thing seriously.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CatfishSooner View Post
    Phelps is far more "successful" than Manning. Phelps is an all-time Olympic Great with how many Gold medals? Manning is a great football player, but his legacy will no doubt include a team-based achievement factor and he is just not there. He's a great football player but he is not more successful than Phelps by any means.
    I'd rather have the 10th best basketball player in the USA than the best basketball player in Egypt. It's not even close. Imagine the talent for basketball in the world if no USA basketball players existed. Basketball would still have more talent than swimming.

I would bet more people "play" swimming worldwide than American Football...so your population analysis, while very interesting, is inconsequential.
    I'm still waiting to hear about a country who's most talented athletes are swimmers.

You have a very apparent US/football-centric bias....
    We're comparing two Americans...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    I'm not going to read all of that bull**** because this aegument ended when you didn't understand the need to name every player Eldrick Woods has beaten. You missed your own, point.
    Swimming is probably as a whole just as big world wide as North American football.
    I could give two ****s really but you're a bit dense if you don't think guys that can swim at world class speed at different distances aren't elite athletes.
    It borderlines some guys I knew in college who actually took the Bo Jackson when is that Tour de France thing seriously.
    See ya later. The fact that I would have to explain why Michael Phelps is not a comparable athlete to somebody like Calvin Johnson is baffling, and I probably should have left it alone. There is no getting through to somebody with misconceptions that are that atrocious.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CatfishSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I'd rather have the 10th best basketball player in the USA than the best basketball player in Egypt. It's not even close. Imagine the talent for basketball in the world if no USA basketball players existed. Basketball would still have more talent than swimming.

I'm still waiting to hear about a country who's most talented athletes are swimmers.

We're comparing two Americans...
    1. I doubt that.
    2. I'm not sure, but possibly Australia. Still waiting to hear why your "population analysis" matters/has any bearing on reality?
    3. Is there only American success?
    Wakey Wakey Eggs & Bakey...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Eielson,
    If I understand your argument, you are basing your premise on statistics: more participants equaling a more stringent 'filter' if you will. You are not allowing for self selection and other outside factors however.

As to steroid use proving that baseball is a sport (which slam was intended to be humorous, by the way. To get through the next four months of the most boring televised activity in the history of man, I need humor. One can only mow the lawn so much, more interesting than baseball though it undoubtedly is) how about the abuse of beta blockers in target shooting? It's surely not a 'sport' in the sense that say basketball is, yet 'drug' abuse is rampant.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Baseball was my favorite sport to practice. Football, basketball and golf were my favorites in competition.
    Basketball practice was always a grind but I used to be a gym rat.
    I met the manager of the Bisbee, AZ, pro baseball team at an art exhibit in Phoenix a month ago. We got into a conversation about hitting. He commented on how some of his best hitters were not athletes. I was cracking up.

I've always found that people who don't just dislike but hate a certain sport have tried it and sucked thoroughly at it.
    Especially golf. I used to lift weights with some meatheads who always said basketball was for pussies, but this was because they were too stiff and goofy to play it.

Finesse athletes always impress me more than a blockhead who is fast in just one direction.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CatfishSooner View Post
    1. I doubt that.
    Doubt what?

2. I'm not sure, but possibly Australia.
    Nope.

Still waiting to hear why your "population analysis" matters/has any bearing on reality?
    When more people play a sport, it increases the gene pool to select from. That raises the level of competition. What part do you not understand?

3. Is there only American success?
    When you're comparing two Americans? Yes.

Going a step further. Although I don't believe I ever said it (due to the additional controversy that was unnecessary to prove my point), America does have the best athletes. If that's not the case, how is it that in a sport we prioritize so little (swimming), that we have the best one? Not only was he the best swimmer in the world, we were winning gold medals in relay races, so we were technically having the best teams. Something doesn't add up. Either swimming isn't that big of a deal worldwide (comparatively), or we just have a monopoly on great athletes.
    Last edited by Eielson; 4/24/2014 at 07:57 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Eielson,
    If I understand your argument, you are basing your premise on statistics: more participants equaling a more stringent 'filter' if you will. You are not allowing for self selection and other outside factors however.
    It's not a perfectly designed experiment that accounts for all confounders. I absolutely believe that SOME great athletes could turn down offers to play other sports in order to swim because that's what they want to do. In general, though, I think most swimmers end up swimming because they didn't have as much success in other sports. It's entirely possible that if you selected a random professional swimmer they could be a better athlete than somebody in the NFL. It's just really, really rare. To me, it's like comparing med school students to a chiropractic student. The most intelligent chiropractoric students are going to be smarter than the dumbest med school students in some cases, but if you compare top vs. top and bottom vs. bottom, it's unlikely it won't even be close. The smartest science undergrad in the world could choose to become a chiropractor, but I'd bet quite a bit of money that they don't. If, however, this did happen, the smartest/most athletic person would win against their competition by leaps and bounds (like Usain Bolt show-boating his way to the finish line in the 100M even though he is built for the 200M). Phelps did win 8 gold medals, which is insane, but I don't recall too many blowouts. In fact, if I remember right, in one of his events he had to be bailed out by a teammate who posted a better time than he had.

As to steroid use proving that baseball is a sport, how about the abuse of beta blockers in target shooting? It's surely not a 'sport' in the sense that say basketball is, yet 'drug' abuse is rampant.
    I'm not that familiar with beta blockers, but I can't see how that would make somebody bigger, stronger, faster, etc.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

So what I got was osu hired manning to give swimming lessons to Egyptians. Bet that was riveting.

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    So what I got was osu hired manning to give swimming lessons to Egyptians. Bet that was riveting.
    LOL!!!! Awesome....
    Aries