Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Trevor Knight in the Spring Game

All-time one-shot wonder: Clint Longley.

But I have faith in TK. I think the light switched "on" in the OSU game, and the Alabama game only confirmed it.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Why are some people calling him a one shot wonder? He played more than well vs. ISU, k-state and he was moving the ball on the Pokes.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    Peter Gardere would like a word with you. There have always been guys who played abnormally well against one opponent but not so much against anyone else.
    Yeah but the trick is that Bama was Goliath and on the biggest stage young Trevor's seen.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    Why are some people calling him a one shot wonder? He played more than well vs. ISU, k-state and he was moving the ball on the Pokes.
    My problem has to do with the mismatch in his skillset vs the guys we recruit at WR. We have always been a team that favors crossing routes and we recruit guys that excel at it - typically smaller shiftier guys that can evade people in space. As such we've always been a little loose on our route running so that guys can find empty spots behind the linebackers. The big advantage of this attack is that you can attack the entire field and exploit blown assignments.

TK's accuracy is on the edge where you value raw speed and precision route running because the ball has to be in the air before the cut is made (think of the guys playing at Baylor). In the championship game, we were able to use deception to overcome our lack of speed and get deep. However, that isn't going to hold up over a 13 game season unless your QB is really good at the back shoulder throw (which is honestly the throw that makes this type of QB more valuable in the pros than someone with accuracy over the middle). During the spring game, the only QB who showed that throw was Mayfield and I can't remember if I've ever seen TK throw one.

In other words, what I'm worried about is whether TK has enough accurate throw types to consistently move the chains when some of them are taken away. Against Alabama, he was hitting a lot of 30-40 yard throws from midfield that were putting us into either the end zone or the red zone. Later in the game, that was taken away and we were relying on the screen to chew up yards and we started stalling out. So what I'm looking for is the ability to either hit the slant accurately or the addition of the back shoulder throw to compliment it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

My problem has to do with the mismatch in his skillset vs the guys we recruit at WR. We have always been a team that favors crossing routes and we recruit guys that excel at it - typically smaller shiftier guys that can evade people in space.
    Take a look at the guys we just signed. I think that may be changing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    Take a look at the guys we just signed. I think that may be changing.
    I was thinking more about THIS year. Historically, I can't remember a true freshman getting significant receiving yards (ie in the top 3).

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Tinker Owens in '72? He had something like 17 catches of Dave Robertson's 59 completions....

59. The whole season.

That's a game today. Maybe two.

vCash

Malcolm Kelly in 2005 was the top receiver. And iirc, he was a true frosh.

vCash

Joaquin Iglesias in 2005 was the number three receiver. Man, 2005 was a real aberration.

Administrator
    vCash

I said several times last year that the offense was very close to being good. It was inconsistent, but if you go back to some of TK's earlier outings, he was very close.

He's never going to be Sam Bradford accurate, but he makes up for that in his dual threat ability.

Although he played like a Heisman winner against Bama, we have to remember that he's still only a RS Sophomore and there is still a lot of development he will go through.

That's why the defense is going to be even more important this year (if we're really going to win #8). There are going to be games that we will still struggle a little on offense, but I think we're better on defense, have an overall better running game and a more experienced QB, all of the components are there.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I said several times last year that the offense was very close to being good. It was inconsistent, but if you go back to some of TK's earlier outings, he was very close.

He's never going to be Sam Bradford accurate, but he makes up for that in his dual threat ability.

Although he played like a Heisman winner against Bama, we have to remember that he's still only a RS Sophomore and there is still a lot of development he will go through.

That's why the defense is going to be even more important this year (if we're really going to win #8). There are going to be games that we will still struggle a little on offense, but I think we're better on defense, have an overall better running game and a more experienced QB, all of the components are there.
    That's one big reason I think that moving up the Tulsa game was a very smart move. 75-ish reps away from Norman (although let's face it, the crowd will still probably be very pro-OU) that we didn't have before the move, against an opponent we should easily dominate, before hitting that Tennessee + 3 roadies stretch is a good thing from where I'm standing.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    This is another thing that worries me. Barnett is not the best punter we've ever had, but the guy excels at coffin kicks. I got the feeling at times last year that the coaches went very conservative at midfield on 3rd down because they knew he could pin the other team inside the 5 (like against pokey state). If we turn that from a "nice to have" to "game plan" we are going to find ourselves in some trouble this next year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I was thinking more about THIS year. Historically, I can't remember a true freshman getting significant receiving yards (ie in the top 3).
    Technically Dannon Cavil (listed at 6'4 215) is going to be a redshirt freshman. I don't expect a lot from him this year, but I've been surprised before.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Disagree. I say the TK QB era is pretty much over given his inconsistency. But he can still be useful as a game manager for the '14 season while we get all the young skill guys some experience. Then Mayfield can take over in '15 and lead us to #8!
    You've got huge boulders rolling around where you brain should be if you think his showing in the spring game has anything to do with how TK will perform in 2014. Sheesh! What a negative Nellie you are!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerfossil View Post
    You've got huge boulders rolling around where you brain should be if you think his showing in the spring game has anything to do with how TK will perform in 2014. Sheesh! What a negative Nellie you are!
    Took a few days, but I finally netted one !

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Took a few days, but I finally netted one !
    Bite me, smart ***!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    Further, I believe his ability and likability may lead to a 6th statue.
    ^^This. And I might mention an 8th trophy.
    Nebraska and Oklahoma made up one of the greatest college football rivalries of all time. They played every year between 1928-97, and two times every four years since then. Their games in the Big Eight decided the conference championship 16 of 19 times between 1970-88. OU leads the series 44-38-3. --The Associated Press, December 1, 2010

People calm down! Quarterbacks have never been the problem at OU, except when Bomar came on the scene. Bomar had the talent, but not the heart nor the head. What Heupel did with Paul Thompson was remarkable. Remember OU went to the Big XII with Thompson and won! NO QB does everything right, but often the receivers are not on the same page as the QB. As great as Kenny Stills was, he was often in the wrong position. They curl out instead of curling in, etc.