Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

How To Buy College Football Players

Meet the bag man...

I'd like to think none of this happens at OU, but we'd probably be fooling ourselves. However, I would like to think that if this goes on, coaches and GAs aren't complicit.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: How To Buy College Football Players

"I read the stuff Oklahoma State was accused of. The reason I don't believe a lot of it is because how stupid they come off."

Funny, that's why I did believe it.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Meet the bag man...

I'd like to think none of this happens at OU, but we'd probably be fooling ourselves. However, I would like to think that if this goes on, coaches and GAs aren't complicit.
    I believe there is some of this going on at every school in the country. I don't believe the guy in this particular story though. Anymore successful programs are under a microscope. Reporters are chomping at the bit for any tiny infraction. That alone makes these things very hard. Supposedly, this guy is handing out money left and right to recruits. I'm not buying it at all.

I'm sure there are people out there that given money/gifts to players at every school. However, I think most coaches keep a pretty good eye on things now, and it isn't as rampant as it once was. If it happens, it's without the knowledge of anyone involved with the program. The guy in this story makes it sound like the coaches are fully aware and perfectly okay with this, again, I just don't believe him.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

You know what I'm getting from reading this? Miami is so dumb.

I read Dwayne Johnson's biography and part of it was on his time at the U where they had a booster come in and offer bounties, stuff like getting the biggest hit on FSU's Heisman (the one that ended up with the Knicks).

Shapiro is apparently everything you don't want in a pay-the-players booster. Remember when it got public and ESPN has tons of footage of him being super fan on the sideline high fiving players while wearing one of their jerseys? Tee hee.

Miami = dumb

"I read the stuff Oklahoma State was accused of. The reason I don't believe a lot of it is because how stupid they come off. When they said players were getting cash envelopes handed out in the locker room after the game like it was Gatorade, I thought, 'surely this is a joke.' And if I was a player, stopped getting money because I was hurt or buried on the depth chart or was maybe playing through an injury you didn't know about, I'd go to the media, too."
    He apparently doesn't know the OSU we all do