Thread: BBall recruits

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

BBall recruits

Guess LK is looking for another big...any ideas who we are looking at?

I think in 2 years when our stud soph are Sr should be a fun year. Next year as well. Do need some size in the middle.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: BBall recruits

Cunningham?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Hornbeak is looking for a fresh start and will transfer per newsok.com I like all the players we have so I'll miss seeing him out there. Good luck to him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Hornbeak is looking for a fresh start and will transfer per newsok.com I like all the players we have so I'll miss seeing him out there. Good luck to him.
    I heard that today, too. Sad to see him go, but he was kind of the odd man out. He'd have gotten minutes for us, and been a solid contributor, but he was never going to be a starter for us. At times, I felt that Hield, Clark, Cousins, and Hornbeak all did about the same thing, and Hornbeak was just a little worse at it.

vCash

Giovanni McLean just committed to us yesterday. He's thought to be a backup to woodard at this point. There may be an issue with him qualifying though, so we''ll see how it goes.

vCash

looked for a highlight vid for mclean but it's slim pickins. the vid i did find looked like a jv pick up game. oh well. he seems to really like the program.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

If this is the video you're talking about, the announcer is Duke Tango of And1 fame... meaning that, say whatever else about Giovanni you'd like, but if the guy's good enough to get a nickname from Duke Tango, he's got to be pretty good, right? Also, if he's going against other And1'ers, then he's going against college(ish)-level competition, so he's not doing too badly from the looks of this video, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKxHZWTGgvY

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

vCash

Nah. It's the one under it. It's 1:57 long. Quality of play looks lazy. Just seems like there should be more highlights of him. Mizzou, Memphis and others were after him but we recruited him to take hornbeak's spot.

vCash

very outdated interview but interesting what hes gone through to end up an OU commit. I'm sure Cousins was a good influence on his visit.

Year end and year out there are kids all over the country that are overlooked on the recruiting scene. World I want to introduce you to a kid nobodys ever really heard of outside of the northeastern part of this country. A kid from the mean streets of New York City that has cut his teeth on the asphalts outside. Giovanni McLean is a talent that has taken a different path than most. He only started playing this game a few years ago in an attempt to try to escape the tragedy’s that have been brought upon him by this thing that we call life.

Gio lost his father when he was 15 and through the game of basketball found comfort. He could have gone any direction the streets could of got ahold of him and he would have been another kid that our society lost to inner city crime. Instead he decided he wanted to do something different with his life and makes his father proud. So he picked up a basketball and started to grow his legend. He quickly became a household name in New York from the work he was putting in during summer tournaments but the rest of the country never took notice. He’s went head to head and more than held his own against overseas pros like Kenny Satterfield and Keydren Clark. He’s staged battles with the likes of the Corey Fishers and many more and always has seemed to get it done on a night to night basis. Gios game is very reminiscent of that to Sherron Collins that played at Kansas over the last few years. Off the bounce the kid is incredible finishing through contact and always finding the open teammate for the right pass.

The thing thats most unique about the kid is that he has legit NBA three point range which is a rarity for a point guard coming out of the city. Catch him this summer back in the city as he solidifys his legend even more. As he will put on a show anywhere he shows up to play. Nobody knows where he will be playing next year as he is yet to make a college commitment. If I was a betting man I would say that one day you will see this kid lace them up for somebody in the Big East and will one day be a household name before all is said and done.

1. Gio describe yourself for the country since most people outside New York City dont know who you are.

Giovanni, My name is Giovanni McLean. Six-foot point guard from New York City. Born on September 19, 1990 in the country of Jamaica, Raised in the Bronx.

2. Breakdown your legend on the summer circuit and the streets in New York for us.

Giovanni, The summer circuit is probably the best thing going on for me in the summer time. The summer circuit is where you get the opportunity to showcase your talent and abilities, and for the past few summers i’ve done just that. But last summer, hands down, was my most successful as far as showcasing my skills. Over the years I have played against a lot of Division I college players, some professional players and i did well against them, but last summer I had my way against most of these players. For my relentless offensive and defensive ways I earned the name “Batteries Not Included” given to me in the number one street ball tournament in the city, Dyckman and by the biggest street ball announcer Joe Pope. If anyone didn’t respect me on the court before, they sure did after last summer. I was up for ANY challenge.

3. Where are you at now and how has your season been so far.

Giovanni, I am in a prep school called PG Institute in Chattanooga, Tennessee. We are currently 13-2. I am averaging 24-Points, 8-assists and 5-rebounds so far this season and we have a few games remaining.

4. What schools are looking at you right now?

Giovanni, I have Oregon, Chattanooga State, Moberly, Hiwassee, and some other junior colleges.

5. Do you feel that you have been overlooked by the scouts and the media and why?

Giovanni , Yes, I definitely feel that I have been overlooked by scouts and the media. Because I am doing the same if not better than some of the top players but because of the school I went to, I wasn’t really recognized. I feel like I have proven myself enough against the top players and to the scouts. In spite being overlooked, I remain humble and hungry. I just leave everything in God’s hands and I know everything will be settled in the proper way.

6. Who would you compare your game to?

Giovanni, I don’t really compare my game to anyone else but people often say that I play like Raymond Felton, Jamal Tinsley, and Sharron Collins from Kansas.

7. What do you bring to the court that seperates yourself from other players?

Giovanni, I bring leadership and toughness to the court and I play every game like it is my last.

8.What is your best game of the season so far?

Giovanni, My best game of the season was against Cumberland University when I recorded a triple double. Scoring 24 points, 13 rebounds and 10 Assists in a Win.

9. What is your most memorable moment of your basketball career?

Giovanni, My memorable moment of my career, I think is when I had 40 points with the flu against former Penn State point guard Marlon Smith.

10. You have played against Corey Fisher and Keydren Clark on the summer circuit how have you faired against such tough competition.

Giovanni, Corey Fisher and Keydren Clark are two very good players and it was a pleasure but also an opportunity to play against them. I did very good against both of them last summer. When ever I played against another tough guard in the summer the fans label those games as “a must see” game. When I played against Corey Fisher it wasn’t just him that I had to handle, Kenny Satterfield was also in the backcourt with him and I didn’t back down from either one. Being that these players have made it to the college level and further, it shows me what I will be going up against every night at the college level so that is one of the reason I work extra hard and strive to get better.

11. What are your goals with the game of basketball?

Giovanni, Honestly, I want to prove all the people that said I couldn’t make it far in basketball wrong. I want to play this game at the highest level some day but my main focus is really going to college and earning a degree.

12. When you think of college basketball what comes to mind?

Giovanni, Every time the players step on the floor it will be a battle. Nothing is easy in college basketball, everything is a little more physical and intense than high school basketball. College basketball is more mental than just physical abilities and that’s what I love about it most.

13. If you could attend any university in the country where would it be and why.

Giovanni, I love the Big East. I would love to attend any school in the Big East because it is a very Tough conference, especially for guards and there are no days off in the Big East, teams have to come ready to play hard night in night out.

14. You are tough as nail like a pitbull where does that come from?

Giovanni, The streets and the fans. They know that I am not the one to back down from a challenge and I will play tough every time I step out on the court. They sometimes say that I am a bully guard.

15. How do you see yourself impacting the game at the college level?

Giovanni, I think I will be very good at the next level. Just for the simple fact that I worked very hard to get there. I just don’t want to say I made it there, I want to know that I went out and dominated.

16. Your a really good kid life has delt you some tough blows how has that helped you as a ball player and a person.

Giovanni, A lot of unfortunate things have happened in my life so far, but with the help of my grandparents Philip and Doris McLean I have been able to stay focused. At the age of 15 my father passed away. It was the toughest thing I ever had to go through. I stopped going to school because I lost focus and hope in myself. At the time, I wasn’t playing basketball, I was playing soccer, but a couple of months after my father deceased I started hanging out with my older cousin who played basketball and I began to like the the game so I started working out with the Dckyman Youth Enterprise, ran by Kenneth Stevens, and I also worked out with the Boys Club of New York. With the help of these individuals, I became a better person and I regained hope.

17. Who is the best player you ever went head to head with?

Giovanni, I played against a lot of good players but the toughest one to me was Corey Fisher, because he’s relentless as I am.

18. How hard do you work on your game and how long have you been playing?

Giovanni, I am a very hard working individual. I am a gym rat but being side lined by a knee injury last year kind of set me back a little. I have only been playing the game for 6 years now.

19. Down two five seconds left to go the balls in your hands what do you do?

Giovanni, I would attack the basket and try to make a play. If not for me then for one of my teammates. But being that five seconds isn’t a lot of time I would try to get the basket or get to the line.

20. In the next five years Gio will be……

Giovanni, A Pro, either NBA or Overseas.

21. Last Gio tell the country anything you want them to know that they might not.

Giovanni, I am a kid in a tough situation, trying to make something good out of life. Hoping that I will get the help that I need and deserve.

vCash

Does he start every sentence with "Giovanni?"

vCash

Not coming; NCAA has ruled him ineligible for the upcoming year.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

vCash

Well that was a lot of cuttin n pastin for nothin. So, better get a guard on board before May 21st right?

vCash

Dinjiyl Walker committed. 6-2 combo guard from Iowa Western CC. 16 PPG, 4 RPG, 39.5% behind the arc.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

These next two years could be really good if we can develop a low post presence
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

vCash

I'm thinking Bennett will have a lot more confidence this year and allow Spangler to step out a little more. If we can make opponents respect our inside game it will allow our guards to attack the basket much easier. The other bigs coming in can hopefully contribute enough to give us the depth we need for our quick paced, up and down the floor style.