Thread: Hip replacement

Administrator
    vCash

Hip replacement

Anyone have one/cared for anyone that had one?

My 70 year old mom had her first hip replacement on Monday. She was discharged today, and home. I am staying with her for the next week or so, and was curious if anyone here has been through the procedure?

First, I am amazed at how quickly they had her walking (day two). My mom is a very active 70 year old, and this brought her to a complete stop about 3 months ago. I suspect she'll have a quick recovery, but I'm sure the first couple of weeks are tough regardless.

I had no idea they dislocated the hip to start the surgery. Seems like there would be a little less brutal way to do it, but then again I know nothing about medicine.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Hip replacement

My wife has her hip replaced a year ago. She's doing jus' fine.

They dislocate the hip to get access to the hip socked. It routine.

Hip replacements are easier to recover from than knee replacements I'm told.

I hope your Mom recovers nicely and is dancin' soon.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

No Clue Bro
    Prayin fer you an Mom tho.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Anyone have one/cared for anyone that had one?

My 70 year old mom had her first hip replacement on Monday. She was discharged today, and home. I am staying with her for the next week or so, and was curious if anyone here has been through the procedure?

First, I am amazed at how quickly they had her walking (day two). My mom is a very active 70 year old, and this brought her to a complete stop about 3 months ago. I suspect she'll have a quick recovery, but I'm sure the first couple of weeks are tough regardless.

I had no idea they dislocated the hip to start the surgery. Seems like there would be a little less brutal way to do it, but then again I know nothing about medicine.
    My next door neighbor just had it done a couple months ago, she's up and about
    just fine. Rehab is short and to the point. Now a shoulder replacement, different
    story...3 days in hospital and 4 months rehab (That's what I had.)

vCash

After sleeping I thought of one more thing........

She needs a toilet that's higher up than regular toilets. Comfort height, is the term used.

You can get an adaptor seat at drug stores which raises the height of the toilet seat.

It's to help prevent a post-op dislocation which is a complication after replacement surgery.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Administrator
    vCash

Thanks for all the feedback fellas!

5-0, they did advise me to get the toilet seat riser, so I had set that up while she was still in the hospital. Out of everything (the walker, ice, drugs, etc) that's the one thing she says makes things easier.

The surgeon said that knee replacements are worse. He said it's because we use our knees so much more, and to a much greater extent. Also, like shoulders, it's just a more complex joint.

Anyway, thanks again for the info and good thoughts. She's doing pretty well to this point.

vCash

My mom fell and broke the fibula where it goes into the hip socket. The surgery for it was basically a partial hip replacement. She was in the hospital 2 weeks and went to a care center for 4 weeks. But she has other medical issues as well (diabetes, tracheostomy from effects of stroke 15 yrs ago, chronic lung infections). Just sayin, it might be optimistic for your mom to be able to care for herself after only a couple of weeks after the surgery, but of course everybody's different. My mom's 73.

vCash

Ya know I got to make a Joke

My Last ex was in her 40s and I decided Her Hips needed replacing. So I sent her down the road kickin Rocks and Replaced her with a 28 year old. Lot better Hips
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Ya know I got to make a Joke

My Last ex was in her 40s and I decided Her Hips needed replacing. So I sent her down the road kickin Rocks and Replaced her with a 28 year old. Lot better Hips
    Aint no wonder you struck out three times...you do know they all talk to
    each other, doncha?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Aint no wonder you struck out three times...you do know they all talk to
    each other, doncha?
    Not If I keep their MOUTH full !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Not If I keep their MOUTH full !
    Welp, apparently yew dint!

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jiminy View Post
    My mom fell and broke the fibula where it goes into the hip socket. The surgery for it was basically a partial hip replacement. She was in the hospital 2 weeks and went to a care center for 4 weeks. But she has other medical issues as well (diabetes, tracheostomy from effects of stroke 15 yrs ago, chronic lung infections). Just sayin, it might be optimistic for your mom to be able to care for herself after only a couple of weeks after the surgery, but of course everybody's different. My mom's 73.
    My mom is diabetic, but otherwise very healthy for her age. The key for her recovery is that she was so active prior (far more active than most folks her age), and her attitude is "I've got to get through this so I can go (do whatever it is she does, hike, photograph, travel, etc.).

My plan is to stay with her for at least two weeks, and reassess at that point. If I feel like she's okay on her own, then I'll fall back to phone calls and visits. If not, I'll stay however long she needs me here. Fortunately at work, I'm the boss, so I can work from anywhere almost as easily as working at the office.

Thanks for the input jiminy, I'm always appreciative of any insight others can give.

vCash

My wife had bad-azz ugly purple bruise around her incision. Eventually it went away.

Lots of protein in her diet is s'posed to be good for wound healing.

I'm no doctor but I don't think the fibula is connected to the hip socket. The femur is.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 5-0 View Post
    My wife had bad-azz ugly purple bruise around her incision. Eventually it went away.

Lots of protein in her diet is s'posed to be good for wound healing.

I'm no doctor but I don't think the fibula is connected to the hip socket. The femur is.

5-0
    Maybe that's why it took so long to heal... Well that's what I meant, anyway: Femoral neck fracture... too many bones, who can keep track of 'em

Prayers and blessings to you 8tc. Lucky you, to be able to stay with your mom 24/7 and fulfill her every need

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Did she have replacement or resurfacing.....
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    Did she have replacement or resurfacing.....
    Full replacement. She wasn't a candidate for resurfacing.

vCash

My neighbor's driveway recently got resurfaced. JK.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

Make sure to have a good chair for her. Firm and something she won't sink into. My father has had both hips replaced and I know they told him not to use any chairs that would try to move the joint past 90 degrees
    “If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team.”

Bud Wilkinson