Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Re: 'Real Sports' Segment Mentioning OU Football

Bwahaha…good job of shutting the whorn down!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Darn! We never got around to discussing the magical transformation of student 'A' from mumbliing nincompoop when considering matriculation to OU to Werner von Braun Jr. when he changes his mind and opts for UT.

It's one of those 'SEC Speed' kinds of things.
    Nazi Rocket Science QB at UT?

Damn impressive! You guys should print more Keep Norman Dumb shirts.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Scholz View Post
    You might want to watch the interview before making that claim. He called it "fraud" and "he couldn't stomach it anymore".
    I've watched the episode. I don't believe everything I hear/see on TV. I'll stick to my point; I don't know why he left the position, but I highly doubt it was out of guilt. He is still on staff at OU, if it bothered him that much, why didn't he leave?! I'll give you the answer...because it didn't.

Sooner Starter NorthernIowaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Not overstating anything. I'm quoting your former advisor verbatim. He called it "fraud". You're knowingly keeping your student athletes eligible and the OU athletic department from being hurt from the new graduation rules by pushing kids into a worthless degree. Your former player and former advisor said it, not me. Blame HBO for pointing it out.

As far as UT goes, many students (not just athletes) take some core requirement courses (history, government, etc.) at jucos at home during summer months. And VY earned a degree in education. Call him dumb all you want but he worked hard for that and didn't give up on it. Good for him and he's the first in his family to earn a college degree btw. But if you want to talk about academic integrity of our respective institutions, I'd be happy to have that discussion. Our guys actually have to earn their degrees as evidenced by us having academic casualties every single season. OU cannot claim that.
    Perhaps he should've worked really hard to find a finance class to take.

Perhaps UT could set up a partner program https://www.twu.edu/genstudies/, UT players meet the general requirement.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Something tells me we've seen the last of Herr in this thread.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

so, Herr, young earned a degree in education, which I have...how did he do on his tests for certification?

He'll end up being a classroom aide to coach football. $10 an hour for the aide job, $35,000 to coach football...if he can even do that.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash

Have you seen the HBO show? Your former O lineman, who graduated with this "multi-discipline" degree, is working an office job that doesn't require a college education. Your former advisor quit because he couldn't stomach funneling your players to a degree he knew was worthless anymore. Your own guys called this fraud.

What a ******. You mean that texas doesn't have any softball degrees for morons like VY? Great to hear from you again Herr.

Edit: As I read through the thread, I eventually saw that Herr was easily dispatched. I defer to Boomer McSooner. Can we trade Herr for Lid?
    Last edited by Jason White's Third Knee; 3/30/2014 at 10:27 AM.
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    I like the comments at the bottom. People like to sensationalize things like Switzer's players, ignoring the brilliant Selmon brothers, senators and preachers he coached.
    I guess they can't all be scholars like the Tejas players.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

Incorrect. UT doesn't offer a general studies/multi-discipline type degree. That's why it's harder for jucos to transfer to UT than other schools, because all of their credits have to apply to a specific degree plan. Probably why UT wasn't mentioned. Just an FYI.
    I really hope that you were giggling uncontrollably when you typed this. Laughing about how you were over here trolling the Sooner fans and all...

if not, you might be the most naive **** to have ever attended ut. srsly.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

vCash

Was his last comment in reply to me? If so, he completely missed my point.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerwake's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerMcSooner View Post
    Vince Young earned his degree in "Youth and Community Studies", a clear case of a "football degree" if there ever was one!

As reported in the Washington Post (1/7/2010): "NCAA pressure on universities to improve athletes' graduation rates perversely encourages suspicious concentrations of athletes in particular majors. In a recent year, 41 percent of Texas football players were majoring in youth and community services, compared to 0.2 percent of all students; 78.4 percent of Michigan's were in general studies, compared to 1.6 percent of all students there."

Looking at Texas' most recent press release of graduating student athletes (12/7/2013), there are 29 athletes, 10 football players, and 5 "Youth and Community Studies" majors. All 5 of the athletes listed with that major were football players.

Why do you think football players are 200 times more likely to major in "Youth and Community Studies" than the rest of the student body at the University of Texas?

According to the University of Texas, "The Youth and Community Studies major is designed for students preparing to work with children in a variety of settings that do not require teacher certification. Students who choose this degree option are given flexibility to select courses ..."

Texas suggests the career path for this degree, "Examples of career options include directing youth programs at the YMCA, Parks and Recreation Departments, daycare centers, after-school programs, and government agencies related to childcare."

Perusing Monster.Com, job openings for these types of opportunities are largely part-time, low-pay, and rarely have a college degree requirement (although it is occasionally listed as preferred.)
    Post of the year.. I have never seen a self-righteous, we are the almighty, horn go away so fast. Wow!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Herr Scholz's Avatar
    vCash

Sorry, was just doing a drive by last week. I never claimed every degree plan at UT was rocket science. Some are definitely more rigorous than others. I simply claimed that A) our student athletes are at least forced to earn theirs as evidenced by our respective numbers of academically ineligible players year in and year out - that's where the academic integrity comment entered into this and B) we don't have a general studies "invent your own theme" degree like at OU with this "multi-disciplinary" fraud and joke of a degree (your former athlete and advisor's words btw, not mine).

At least our degrees have specific plans and every student has to earn it. Oh, and we're also ranked in the top 100 universities in the country. So there's also that...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CobraKai's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Wow. This ends the debates.

I'm used to Herr coming on here and making most of the posters look silly. He's obviously more informed than the average member on this board, but if this is legit, he looks very foolish here. Just about everything he said is invalidated by this "Youth and Community Studies" degree. At least with multidisciplinary studies you have the option of taking difficult classes. Youth and Community Studies sounds like it was made specifically for football players...who goes to a college like UT to be a stay at home mom? Multidisciplinary is a legitimate degree plan, it just happens to be abused by football players and others.

Mensik may not have needed a degree to get his office job, but VY can only use his degree to get a daycare/babysitter position. If I was good with photoshop, I would fark VY's face on Eddie Murphy.

Attachment 2800
    What really ends the debate is that Vince got a 6-7 on the Wonderlic. According to the organization that administers the test, 10 is considered "literate." In other words, Texas graduated an illiterate guy. Additionally, as Herr has pointed out, Texas has NO easy paths for athletes. This means that an illiterate person can graduate from Texas without any special treatment.
    "That's a painting of me taking the bull by the horns. Its a metaphor. But that really happened."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Herr Scholz's Avatar
    vCash

I love how you guys just call Vince "dumb" and think that ends the debate. A) That score was quoted as incorrect and B) He scored a 16 or something when administered correctly. The fact remains that OU is a juco football factory. Blame HBO for running the story. Blame your former advisor for calling that degree plan "fraud". Blame your former player for calling it "worthless". While you're at it, blame ESPN for putting Stoops on blast for yanking that injured Matt Beyer's scholarship. I guess it's never the fault of OU, just the messenger. But hang your hat on VY some more. That's what you'll do anyway.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

We could choose one of the many other scholar athletes who supplement their insufficient stipends through sales of narcotics, general theft or armed robbery.
    I mean I know Austin is expensive, but sheesh.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

VY is an easy target because he somehow managed to stay enrolled at such an impeccable, first class institution.
    You have your head in the sand if you think all of your football players are first class scholars.
    I'm also constantly imoressed by your hard-on for Stoops. You pick and choose with your criticisms and turn a blind eye to examples of players he's kept on scholarship although physically unable to play any longer.
    You're cool.

vCash

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah...
    Who Give s Rats ***? Yer still Saxet, You still wear UGLY assed Orange and you Still Suck.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

A) our student athletes are at least forced to earn theirs as evidenced by our respective numbers of academically ineligible players year in and year out - that's where the academic integrity comment entered into this
    What do LSU and Texas have in common? Higher numbers of football players flunking.
    What do Stanford and Oklahoma have in common? Lower numbers of football players flunking than Texas or LSU.

You really want to claim LSU has more academic integrity than Stanford by virtue having more flunking football players?

Fine...

In that case, let's christen the Herr Scholz Law of Academic Integrity (TM): More failing football players = greater academic integrity...Less failing football players = less academic integrity.

According to Herr Scholz' Law, if Strong or future Texas coaches do not maintain the high level of flunking football players that existed in the Mack Brown era, it will be evidence of Texas abandoning academic integrity and letting players skate by.

It will be funny to watch you weasel out of your law when a future Texas coach puts more emphasis on academic accountability.

The fact remains that OU is a juco football factory.
    It was funny watching Longhorns convince themselves that Mack Brown's "no JUCO" philosophy had something to do with academic integrity prior to 2012...

But given Texas' recent push to sign JUCOs, it is just kind of sad to watch ignorant Horns cling to their delusions.

Hookem.com: Horns target junior college recruits like never before

For years in the Mack Brown era at Texas, recruitment of junior college prospects was treated like an airborne illness. It was to be avoided at all costs.
    But, as has been the case with several aspects of the Longhorns’ program in recent years, the 5-7 season of 2010 changed the way Brown and his staff do things.
    Texas’ 2012 signing class was the first in more than a decade in which Brown offered scholarships to and signed junior college recruits: left tackle Donald Hawkins and defensive tackle Brandon Moore.
    So far, the Longhorns have made four offers to junior college players for this year’s class. They have a high level of interest in a fifth prospect and are on the hunt for more.