Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Re: 'Real Sports' Segment Mentioning OU Football

To say we're a JUCO factory isn't very bright.
    K-State is a JUCO factory.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Just to be clear, what's the rap on JUCO's? Are they presumed to not meet academic standards? Are they presumed to be somehow less 'loyal' to their new school? It would seem to me that they have to meet the same standards that people who joined as freshmen are held to. What's the big deal?
    Likewise walkon's. If we're going to condemn JUCO's to some sort of second rate status, shouldn't we relegate walkon's as well? Afterall, they weren't offered schollies.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Well according to HS they are second class citizens. Sounds very stereotypical.
    My oldest sister's husband was a JUCO in two sports in the 70's. Ended up in D-1 football and is now president of an energy company in Houston. How the hell could that happen?

vCash

The whole comparison of academic standards thing is more than a bit bogus to start with. You've got factors like the amount of research money the state puts in as well as the size and structure of the state university system that are taken into account when 'rating' universities.
    To look at a non-related example: Berkeley is part of the Cal system and no one would argue that their standards are not quite high. But let's not bash UCLA because of that. Berkeley cherry picks students by design. That's how their state system is set up. Same thing with UT in the Texas system. ...and for that matter with OU, but to a lesser degree due to a smaller population base. The fact that Texas can then farm out its athletes to local 'lesser-included' state institutions, while largely an accident of history is not one that seems to have resulted in much hand wringiing in the halls of the football department.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Herr Scholz's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerMcSooner View Post
    What do LSU and Texas have in common? Higher numbers of football players flunking.
    What do Stanford and Oklahoma have in common? Lower numbers of football players flunking than Texas or LSU.

You really want to claim LSU has more academic integrity than Stanford by virtue having more flunking football players?

Fine...

In that case, let's christen the Herr Scholz Law of Academic Integrity (TM): More failing football players = greater academic integrity...Less failing football players = less academic integrity.

According to Herr Scholz' Law, if Strong or future Texas coaches do not maintain the high level of flunking football players that existed in the Mack Brown era, it will be evidence of Texas abandoning academic integrity and letting players skate by.

It will be funny to watch you weasel out of your law when a future Texas coach puts more emphasis on academic accountability.
    That's right, Einstein. Just like the illiterate functional retards at the old Nebraska program were never ineligible. Thanks for proving my point about OU "academics" though.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Herr Scholz's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerMcSooner View Post
    It was funny watching Longhorns convince themselves that Mack Brown's "no JUCO" philosophy had something to do with academic integrity prior to 2012...

But given Texas' recent push to sign JUCOs, it is just kind of sad to watch ignorant Horns cling to their delusions.

Hookem.com: Horns target junior college recruits like never before
    You missed my point. I'm not saying UT doesn't recruit jucos. It's definitely more difficult at UT because we don't offer the joke of a general studies "multi-discipline" degree like the OUs and KSUs of the world and all of the transfers' credits have to apply to specific degree programs but our baseball program has relied on jucos from time to time over the years. No, my point is that OU in and of itself is a juco. It's obviously very easy to stay eligible up there gaining expertise in absolutely no academic program whatsoever. And OU is not ranked in the top 100 universities in the country so even the real degree programs don't carry much weight either.

vCash

Remind me WHO thot it would be CUTE to turn Herr Green?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Scholz View Post
    That's right, Einstein. Just like the illiterate functional retards at the old Nebraska program were never ineligible. Thanks for proving my point about OU "academics" though.
    HAHAHA...Your "triumphant" emoticon reminds me of A&M's Jolly dancing around after our RB dove to the turf so as not to run the score up past 77-0.

I understand that you don't want to defend the academic rigor of UT's Daycare Major that your football players are so fond of.

I understand that you are too humiliated to defend the laughable implications of your claim that flunking football players are representative of academic integrity.

Perhaps if you pack some critical thinking skills with you on your next drive-by, you won't be reduced to the pathetic "Now that all of my arguments have been destroyed, I'm going to call you dumb" tactic.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

You missed my point. I'm not saying UT doesn't recruit jucos. It's definitely more difficult at UT because we don't offer the joke of a general studies "multi-discipline" degree like the OUs and KSUs of the world and all of the transfers' credits have to apply to specific degree programs but our baseball program has relied on jucos from time to time over the years. No, my point is that OU in and of itself is a juco. It's obviously very easy to stay eligible up there gaining expertise in absolutely no academic program whatsoever. And OU is not ranked in the top 100 universities in the country so even the real degree programs don't carry much weight either.
    Oh, I see. Since OU isn't in the top 100 universities, it must be the equivalent of a Juco. The UT superiority complex strikes again. Do you put as much stock in those academic rankings when you discuss the football programs of Florida and Ohio State, because both of those schools are ranked ahead of UT in the USNWR rankings.

As somebody who actually went to and graduated from an academically rigorous institution, I can say with some authority that even the athletes there gravitated toward degrees like communication and sociology, which were noteworthy for being "easy" majors, not to mention useless. Now you can sit there and parse between communcation, general studies, or any other major, but it's just putting lipstick on a pig. Concluding that UT's "football major" is more challenging than OU's simply because it is called something more to your liking is pretty stupid.

You really should get off your high horse. You can go to the greatest school in the world, but if you get your degree in something useless, it's not going to amount to a hill of beans. And if you can't speak without sounding like an ***, it doesn't matter what your degree is or what school you attended.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Ah academic smack. Pride cometh before the fall..eth. Just wait till another dumdum comes along with something even more embarrassing than a (reportedly) low Wonderlic score.

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    And if you can't speak without sounding like an ***, it doesn't matter what your degree is or what school you attended.
    In fairness to Texas fans, most of them are pretty embarrassed by folks like Herr.

I've lived in Austin for over 20 years, and seen this argument in person many times. While folks like Herr are good at convincing themselves of what they want to believe, most Texas fans are appalled when this stunning lack of rationality is put on display in public.

vCash

I think you're getting closer to the kernel at the center of this thing ELC. Why are Texans so worried about asserting superiority in all things? It's a big state (though I enjoyed, when living in Anchorage, having Alaskans sigh wearily and tell Texans to shut their pie holes or Alaska would split in two and make Texas the third largest state), it's rich, it's populous, it has had at least its share of famous and noteworthy sons and daughters. And yet it's never quite enough. Like the obnoxious neighbor who spoils his own life and those of others around him 'keeping up with the Joneses', Texans seem to have this black hole of an inferiority complex deep inside.
    It's really more pathetic than anything else. UT is a fine academic institution. As with any such, if you apply yourself, you can get an excellent education there. Not everyone will, and some probably don't have the horsepower to. But it's not the world's center of learning. In all liklihood, it's not the world center of much of anything in higher education. Again, it's a fine university and one of which the people of Texas should be proud, and justifiably so. It's just not Mount Olympus.
    Why Texans seem to feel that they have to be the best or nothing at all is beyond me. It's infantile on a shocking scale. But, that seems to be what they're about. I suppose the best course of action is to humor them along and hope for some degree of maturity to break out spontaneously among them.
    Pretty vacant hope, I know, but you go with what you've got and I just don't see much else to work with in these people.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

It's definitely more difficult at UT because we don't offer the joke of a general studies "multi-discipline" degree like the OUs and KSUs of the world and all of the transfers' credits have to apply to specific degree programs but our baseball program has relied on jucos from time to time over the years.
    What is it that you're missing? Youth and community studies is your "multi-discipline" football degree. Same thing, different name (it's actually easier). Gabe Ikard was a multi-disciplinary studies major and he's going to be a doctor. Your degree produces day care/camp leader/babysitters.

No, my point is that OU in and of itself is a juco. It's obviously very easy to stay eligible up there gaining expertise in absolutely no academic program whatsoever. And OU is not ranked in the top 100 universities in the country so even the real degree programs don't carry much weight either.
    Pointing out the academics of your football team is a pretty strong indicator that your football team is struggling on the field. You guys aren't in the top 50...but Rice is. I bet you're envious of Rice's football program, huh?

And a degree at OU carries plenty of weight. Is Texas a better school academically? Sure. But Texas is "juco" compared to Stanford. OU has plenty of room to improve academically, but we've got some world-famous professors, and it's likely that you're beloved university has used some textbooks written by OU professors. Doesn't sound like a juco.

Administrator
    vCash

I'm going to boil this down to absolute honesty.

I really don't care if OU offers a "football degree". Of course I want the best for the kids that come through the program, but I'm also not naive enough to believe that every football player that steps on campus is really a good candidate for college and/or will make the most of their opportunity. They come to OU to play football, and the education is simply a requirement for many. It's no different at Texas (or most other schools in the country).

When the players have to go head to head in test taking on Saturday's in the fall, I'll start worrying about the IQ level of athletes OU recruits. Until then, I want guys that are really good at playing football.