Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member achiro's Avatar
    vCash

So Merril Hoge got around to watching some Manziel tape

Not sure if the video will work but it's about time one of the talking heads actually paid attention to what this dude did on the field.
    Hoge On Manziel: 'Bust Written All Over Him'
    I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: So Merril Hoge got around to watching some Manziel tape

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    Not sure if the video will work but it's about time one of the talking heads actually paid attention to what this dude did on the field.
    I don't think I'm following you here.

I watched Maziel play a lot of football, and the guy did A LOT on the field. I'm not saying he's going to light the NFL on fire, but when it comes to playing, he seemed to do that pretty well.

I can't stand the guy (and that opinion was formed well before the Cotton Bowl), but it's hard for me to discredit what he did when he was on the field.

vCash

I loved the comment about the pop gun arm, because I too have watched Little Johnny and he's got himself the Colt McCoy edition pop gun arm.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner Starter NorthernIowaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

From what I saw this morning on that it looked like Hoge looked at only two plays from the same game. He should've shown multiple videos of him not hitting a quick option route, not two separate plays that were unrelated.

He could be a bust but he needs to make a more convincing case than two plays.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member achiro's Avatar
    vCash

He says that he's only showing those two but that film is consistent. 8x what I mean is that he is the epitome of stats aren't always the best way to look at a guy. A LOT of his passes were Hail Mary type crap that his big receiver bailed him out on. He's to quick to run, and pretty slow at picking up the open receiver. It looked to be worse this year than last. He's also very undersized and all of that will hurt him in the NFL. His draft stock has been falling a lot lately and I think it's because people are actually starting to look at film. Try and find the video on ESPN, Merril explains what I've thought about him much better than I can.
    I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

vCash

Yeah, he said what I've thought all along as well, and previously it had been maddening to have so many of the so-called NFL experts gushing about the fool.

Hoge, Jaws, and a few others have finally had the balls to say what seems apparent to me. I think too many of those other idjits were in fact going off stats, or the highlights which Little Johnny admittedly racked up a lot of, or maybe more truthfully they were hyping him much like ESPiN did Tebow to drum up business.
    Last edited by Curly Bill; 3/20/2014 at 10:38 AM.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Is this the same Merrill Hoge who thought Tebow was a bust when he was winning some games at Denver?
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    Is this the same Merrill Hoge who thought Tebow was a bust when he was winning some games at Denver?
    Where's ol Timmy now? A 1st round draft choice and he's out of the league in what...3 years? That sir is a bust!

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Sooner Starter NorthernIowaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

He says that he's only showing those two but that film is consistent.
    Ah, I was not paying that much attention to it.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Where's ol Timmy now? A 1st round draft choice and he's out of the league in what...3 years? That sir is a bust!
    That sir is as true statement as I've ever seen on here.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Johnny was one of the best college QB's of all time but some of his points were right on. He jumps out of a good pocket much too much. Maybe he can't see but he has to learn to stay in the pocket to be successful in the pros. Sure he can boot and waggle and run to throw but he has to learn to throw from the pocket. Some 6' guys can see from the pocket in the NFL but lots can't. There is a reason there are not many 5'11 1/2 guys playing QB.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

It was easy to tell Tebow wouldn't last long even during that magic run for Denver (which I totally enjoyed). But that was only possible because the AFC west was very weak and it allowed an 8-8 team to win the division. Seeing Tebow beat the Steelers on that one pass to Thomas was totally worth his short stint in Denver for me.

Administrator
    vCash

He says that he's only showing those two but that film is consistent. 8x what I mean is that he is the epitome of stats aren't always the best way to look at a guy. A LOT of his passes were Hail Mary type crap that his big receiver bailed him out on. He's to quick to run, and pretty slow at picking up the open receiver. It looked to be worse this year than last. He's also very undersized and all of that will hurt him in the NFL. His draft stock has been falling a lot lately and I think it's because people are actually starting to look at film. Try and find the video on ESPN, Merril explains what I've thought about him much better than I can.
    Okay, I had a chance to watch the video, and it makes more sense now.

I'm not sure I completely agree with Hoge, but he makes some good points. While Manziel made some amazing plays on the field, there were plenty of times I thought "how did he get away with that?!". That's something I don't think translates to the NFL. Guys are too good at that level.

The only reason I don't completely agree with Hoge is because it's so hard to predict what a kid will do from college to the pros. I'll admit though, Hoge makes me think he will probably bust.

Administrator
    vCash

Yeah, that's pretty much the definition of a bust.

And this is coming from a guy (me) that was on the Tebow bandwagon while he was starting in Denver.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

Hoge also never left the VY will be a bust" train even when he was making the playoffs. Said "they hide their QB, thy don't highlight him"
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

vCash

Exactly my point. And why I don't discount Hoge's opinion.

vCash

I wonder How Tarkenton would have graded out in this day and age...(And Fran was a third rounder).

I also wonder if that kind of QB(A tarkenton Scramble artist) could survive modern pro players (For more than 2 years)

I'd love to see the experiment happen. Fran was one of my favorites growing up.
    Last edited by Explodo; 3/20/2014 at 08:58 AM.
    Never stand between a dog and the hydrant

vCash

Exactly my point. And why I don't discount Hoge's opinion.
    My bad, I thought you were trying to take an anti-Hoge angle on this.

Hoge seems to be one of the few analysts that seems willing to state what he really thinks, as opposed to toeing the company line and being just another hype machine.
    Last edited by Curly Bill; 3/20/2014 at 10:38 AM.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I loved the comment about the pop gun arm, because I too have watched Little Johnny and he's got himself the Colt McCoy edition pop gun arm.
    Yeah, I suspect that he's going to be one of those guys that had a lot of success in college but not a lot at the pro level. Colt McCoy at one time had the most wins in D1 football history as a quarterback, then I think the Boise State one surpassed him. Neither made much of anything out of their NFL careers.

Tim Tebow had two national championships a few SEC titles (things Johnny never did at A&M) as well as the Heisman, and he had one good NFL season, thanks to a solid Denver defense.

The list goes on, and I suspect Johnny will be among him. He's (barely) less than 6 feet tall, likes to go into hero mode rather than rely on his o-line and probably got a few character red flag evaluations.

But hey! At least he got a Nike endorsement deal

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Explodo View Post
    I wonder How Tarkenton would have graded out in this day and age...(And Fran was a third rounder).

I also wonder if that kind of QB(A tarkenton Scramble artist) could survive modern pro players (For more than 2 years)

I'd love to see the experiment happen. Fran was one of my favorites growing up.
    The thing about Tarkenton is, he could throw! His first appearance in a game came his rookie year in a come-from-behind scenario in which he threw for FOUR TD's, and over 250 yards...and a scramble td run, for an upset win. I think he'd be rated right up there with Russell Wilson today.

Edit: Tarkenton said he was fearless in throwing for 3rd and longs because he knew he had a great defense.