Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

Georgia pays it's players?

I that legal? Maybe, but depositing it then cashing it ain't.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/4-georg...84--ncaaf.html

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Georgia pays it's players?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post

One of the weird things about athletic scholarships is that they guarantee 3 meals per day 7 days a week. This meant that the university had to give a stipend for meals when the cafeterias were closed. For example, at OU when I was there, athletes got paid for Sunday evening meals since the cafeterias were closed. They also got an option on whether they wanted cash for Sunday Morning/Lunch since the only cafeteria open was Couch and was quite a ways away (but if they took the money couldn't use couch). If I recall correctly, what most of them did was take Sunday morning breakfast and Sunday Evening.

Heh, why in the world do I remember the cafeteria manager's name was Dave 20 years later?

vCash

Dave wasn't the cafeteria manager, he was the food services manager. At least when I was working at cate in the early 90's.

You might remember it because he used to answer letters in the weekly menu flyer, it was an Ask Dave section or something like that.

Looks like he's still there, he's the Director of Housing and Food Services now.

http://www.ou.edu/content/housingand...irectory0.html
    Last edited by soonerboomer93; 3/18/2014 at 09:34 PM.
    “If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team.”

Bud Wilkinson

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerboomer93 View Post
    You might remember it because he used to answer letters in the weekly menu flyer, it was an Ask Dave section or something like that.
    I was there at the same time as you and I remember the Ask Dave section.

Can't believe it has been 20 years...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post

Funny thing is that from an NCAA perspective there isn't an issue. Had the athletic department given the kids twice as much money as they were allowed, their eligibility would be in question. Committing fraud isn't really an issue.

I understand the rationale. The NCAA is concerned about competitive balance. Any player or non-player from any school can commit fraud so it doesn't impact competitive balance.

The skeptic in me wonders if this wasn't planned out by someone in the athletic department and was foiled by nosy administrator looking a little too closely. It could be a scheme where kids are encouraged to cash the checks twice and they'll look the other way. If for some reason they get caught, all parties are better off pretending it was fraud since that isn't an NCAA violation. The players are promised that charges will be dropped once the media turns away.

Okay, that's kind of tin-foil hat territory and it would be a good way to get a player to turn on the athletic department...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerboomer93 View Post
    Dave wasn't the cafeteria manager, he was the food services manager. At least when I was working at cate in the early 90's.

Looks like he's still there, he's the Director of Housing and Food Services now.

http://www.ou.edu/content/housingand...irectory0.html
    You say potato, I say John Tomlinson's Mom's Wolf City Chicken

vCash

King Ranch Chicken

(it was made with turkey)

vCash

The crazy thing is that non-athletes get paid all the time. I had a 4-year debate scholarship and we got tuition, rooms, board, a stipend, and free books that we could then sell back to the bookstore. And then our coach would hand us $250 every time we had a tournament weekend.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.