Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Baylor to the SEC ?

or at least they're prepping for it with their schedules:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...ncarnate-word/
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

vCash

Re: Baylor to the SEC ?

Ian should be taken out in front of Pat Neff and publicly flogged. I can accept Wofford since it was a last-minute scramble to find a free opponent after SMU backed out, but this is inexcusable.

vCash

I almost hope they beat us.

vCash

And, just to be clear, 99% of my friends think it's absolutely shameful and are utterly embarrassed by this. The vast overwhelming majority of comments on BF are extremely negative. Virtually everyone is horrified by this.

vCash

Our 2020 schedule will feature a College Gameday worthy classic gridiron battle between the fightin' Baylor Bears of Waco, TX and the fightin' Weaves of Mary Lou's Cosmetology School of Gary, IN.

vCash

OK, that is shameful.

That makes sense for Baylor circa 2005, but now?

vCash

I cannot believe that there is a school called the University of the Incarnate Word and am even more stunned that they have a football team.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 sooneredaco's Avatar
    vCash
    I gotta say I can't believe Baylor best tOSU to the punch on this one. Urban needs to step his game up
    Originally Posted by CowboyMRW

"Just for the game today, I went down to the market and bought a new sheep. The owner said she was still a virgin, so I really hope we win today, so it's not just a waste of money"
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mac94's Avatar
    vCash

The TV folks really need to put their foot down on this ... they pay out millions upon millions for the broadcast rights of a conferences games and to have teams schedule OOC games like this is horrible. And while Baylor is the easy target this week because of this news so many schools do it across the country in every conference it creates horrible TV for the networks.
    Gig 'Em and God Bless

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I wish more schools would do home and homes, but more schools are desperate for all homes instead of guaranteeing an away game in return for one home game. Thus, the cupcake non-conference schedule, because big boy programs are not going to accept big checks for an away game like the Appalachian States (and UIWs) would.

I think it's fair to call out schools on this cupcake practice, much like it's fair for schools to defend their reasoning for scheduling cupcakes. Whether the reason is "last minute fill-in for another opponent who backed out" or "we have a tough conference schedule" or "we want all home games," go ahead and explain yourselves. OU had to defend its scheduling of Chattanooga a few years ago (Middle Tennessee backed out, if I recall correctly, so Chatty stepped in as a favor to Joe C)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I wish more schools would do home and homes, but more schools are desperate for all homes instead of guaranteeing an away game in return for one home game. Thus, the cupcake non-conference schedule, because big boy programs are not going to accept big checks for an away game like the Appalachian States (and UIWs) would.

I think it's fair to call out schools on this cupcake practice, much like it's fair for schools to defend their reasoning for scheduling cupcakes. Whether the reason is "last minute fill-in for another opponent who backed out" or "we have a tough conference schedule" or "we want all home games," go ahead and explain yourselves. OU had to defend its scheduling of Chattanooga a few years ago (Middle Tennessee backed out, if I recall correctly, so Chatty stepped in as a favor to Joe C)
    You do. Joe was none too pleased about it either; not necessarily that they did it, but rather how they did it:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/sho...out-on-us-late

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

From OUr view, games like this are terrible.

But the athletic departments of the smaller schools depend on these games to keep programs going and in the case of an upset (they do happen), the smaller school reaps priceless prestige and some air time on ESPN.

vCash

one here and there is one thing, but the only BCS team they are playing for 6 years is Duke twice:

Between 2014 and 2019, Baylor has just two non-conference games scheduled against programs from the five power conferences: a home-and-home with Duke in 2017 and 2018.
    THAT is what is so bad about it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

There should be a major ranking consequence. I don't know squat on how to do this.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mac94's Avatar
    vCash

Another way to slow down this type of stuff would be via the bowls. Raise the minimum number of wins needed to be bowl eligible to 7 and rule that no wins against FCS (or lower) teams will count towards the 7 wins.
    Gig 'Em and God Bless

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer..... View Post
    I cannot believe that there is a school called the University of the Incarnate Word and am even more stunned that they have a football team.
    They used to be NAIA. Back in the 90's they had their national basketball tourney in Tulsa, my buddy's restaurant drew them as a sponsor! Heh.
    Last edited by picasso; 3/18/2014 at 08:21 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    one here and there is one thing, but the only BCS team they are playing for 6 years is Duke twice:

THAT is what is so bad about it.
    They've still got some catching up to do to reach Tech status there. TTU's got a game w/ Arkansas this upcoming year, which will be the first time they've played a team from a BCS conference in their OOC's since 2003.

vCash

we are talking about the reigning Big 12 champs

*smh*

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

And they have a new stadium to sell. Ooo, come to our new tarpless stadium to see opponents that you wish you had a tarp to hide under rather than be caught playing

vCash

To be fair, this isn't for another 6 years. In 6 years, UIW may be a football power house. Or, alternatively, in 6 years we may be really really glad we scheduled them.