Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Saddest WWII book I've ever read...

The Bedford Boys by Alex Kershaw.

I really enjoy reading books about American history, and I have read a multitude of WWII books. But this one is going to keep me up for awhile tonight. Wow. What a profound sacrifice the town of Bedford, Virginia made on D-Day.

Thirty-five young men from Bedford landed on Omaha Beach that day...twenty-two were Killed in Action. Most of them had joined the 29th Infantry Division, a National Guard unit before it was activated, during the Depression.

The book is a very moving account of their lives, relatives, town, and tragedy. It is a damned sad book. I would like to say The Bedford Boys is inspirational, but I'm not so sure. A very stark portrayal of the cost of war.

I think of my 20 year old son lying in his bed tonight. Imagine him buried in the cold French soil, under a cross facing west, towards home. Puts a lump in my throat...

vCash

Re: Saddest WWII book I've ever read...

Try this one from the Great War, While Fiction it reveals the True horror of War.

Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 salth2o's Avatar
    vCash
    I love WW II books. It's on my list now. Thanks.
    You only live once, but if you work it right...once is enough!
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Re: Saddest WWII book I've ever read...

my cooter has welcomed many soldiers home