Administrator
    vCash

R-Freshman DT Charles Walker

According to various sources, redshirt freshman defensive tackle Charles Walker is on the verge of becoming the next great DT at Oklahoma.

Since we've never seen Walker play a down at OU, I take this with a grain of salt, but apparently Walker ran the fastest 40 time (in winter workouts) of any DT in Stoops tenure (previously held by Tommie Harris). He ran a 4.67 40 yard dash (Harris ran a 4.80). If nothing else, that's pretty good company.

I heard rumblings during the last season that Walker was starting to turn heads, and those comments continued during bowl practice. Now, it appears Walker is continuing to spark conversation during the off season.

As I said, I'll hold back from getting too excited until I see the kid play, but it's pretty amazing how far we've come in just a year. This time last year, the overwhelming thinking was that we were in big trouble along the d-line, and the only hope was JUCO transfer Quincy Russell.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

Re: R-Freshman DT Charles Walker

I gonna lean on the positive side of those reports.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruf/Nek7's Avatar
    vCash

Based on his film from his senior year, he is a worker. Has a great motor and refuses to get beat by any on. I really hope this is one of those diamonds in the rough and fuels the battle between those who feel 4-5*are most important compared to 2-3*
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

Illegitimi non carborundum

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU_Sooners75's Avatar
    vCash

He was a 2 star out of high school...the only reason was because he was injured his entire junior year. And never went to any camps. His film against some very good competition showed he has what it takes to be very good.

However, I would not be surprised if he is the best since at least McCoy.

Quote Originally Posted by bornnbredou View Post

and before you tear into me remember, BOOMER SOONER!

Skip Bayless, is that you?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 oupride's Avatar
    vCash

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oupride View Post
    I like that play....hope Stoops incorporates it into our repertoire.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerObsession's Avatar
    vCash

I think I'll accept it as a fact that he is Tommy Harris part 2 and our defense will be the number 1 defense in the nation. National Championship number 8 is on it's way!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ruf/Nek7 View Post
    Based on his film from his senior year, he is a worker. Has a great motor and refuses to get beat by any on. I really hope this is one of those diamonds in the rough and fuels the battle between those who feel 4-5*are most important compared to 2-3*
    I'm sure that debate will always continue but not sure Walker would be a good example. He was a 5.7 / 3* by Rivals. He was rated the 26th best DT
    by Rivals and was the highest rated 3* DT in the nation so basically a guy that just missed being a 4* by a hair.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I had heard during mid- to late season practices,as well as bowl practices. Get Phillips back,add in Wade and Walker we should be in good shape when we need two DTs for 4-3 sets agaainst power run sets.With our ability to run the 3-4 and 3-3-5,should make us a nightmare for offensies to prepare for.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Hmmm...if he can make a tackle for a loss on his first play (like TH) we may indeed have something special. Can you imagine the crowd's reaction at Owen Field if that were to happen?

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouwasp View Post
    Hmmm...if he can make a tackle for a loss on his first play (like TH) we may indeed have something special. Can you imagine the crowd's reaction at Owen Field if that were to happen?
    I can still see that play like it was yesterday. Harris came in so hyped, it was almost like everyone had been waiting to explode when he made a play. It was clear from game one that he was a difference maker.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruf/Nek7's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    I'm sure that debate will always continue but not sure Walker would be a good example. He was a 5.7 / 3* by Rivals. He was rated the 26th best DT
    by Rivals and was the highest rated 3* DT in the nation so basically a guy that just missed being a 4* by a hair.
    He did make a monumental leap towards the end of the recruiting season. He did not start out that high. In fact, many Sooners were scratching their heads when they heard of this kids commitment. Then they saw his film.
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

Illegitimi non carborundum

Sooner Starter
    vCash

I hope this is true. It's the most important position on the defense. I'd be happy if he's only as good as Phillips. Teams would have to choose which of the two they will double team. Before Phillips was injured last season, he was consistently drawing double teams from opposing offenses. His loss was huge.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

I can't remember the nature of Phillips injury. Has there been any word on his recovery?
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

For what it's worth, Stoops said that Walker was more of a 4.7s guy when asked about it yesterday in the presser. Still, very fast.

If Tommie has anything on him, it's that he played as a true freshman, no redshirt required. Hopefully we get at least three years of Walker if the hype rings true. But, if does ring true, we'll probably only get to see him play two

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    I can't remember the nature of Phillips injury. Has there been any word on his recovery?
    Back injury. Have no idea on his recovery.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    I'm not sure they were ever specific. Back injury serious enough to require surgery, but only 'minor' surgery. He's said to be progressing well, running, lifting, etc and due to be back in time for summer/fall camp. ...Is about the version I've distilled from a couple of different posts. Sorry if I've shaded things too far one way or the other.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Phillips was well enough to help dump gatorade on Stoops after the Sugar Bowl. I thought that was a good sign.