Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Court OKs School ban on American Flag on cinco de mayo.

Court: School OK to Ban Flag Shirts on Cinco de Mayo
    Friday, 28 Feb 2014 06:59 AM

A Northern California high school's decision to order students wearing American flag T-shirts to turn the garments inside out during a celebration of the holiday Cinco de Mayo was appropriate, a federal appeals court ruled Thursday.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the school officials' concerns of racial violence outweighed students' freedom of expression rights. Administrators feared the American-flag shirts would enflame the passions of Latino students celebrating the Mexican holiday. Live Oak High School, in the San Jose suburb of Morgan Hill, had a history of problems between white and Latino students on that day.

The unanimous three-judge panel said past problems gave school officials sufficient and justifiable reasons for their actions. The court said schools have wide latitude in curbing certain civil rights to ensure campus safety.

"Our role is not to second-guess the decision to have a Cinco de Mayo celebration or the precautions put in place to avoid violence," Judge M. Margaret McKeown wrote for the panel. The past events "made it reasonable for school officials to proceed as though the threat of a potentially violent disturbance was real," she wrote.

Latest: Do You Support Giving Illegals Citizenship? Vote Here Now
    The case garnered national attention as many expressed outrage that students were barred from wearing patriotic clothing. The Ann Arbor, Mich.-based American Freedom Law Center, a politically conservative legal aid foundation, and other similar organizations took up the students' case and sued the high school and the school district.

William Becker, one of the lawyers representing the students, said he plans to ask a special 11-judge panel of the appeals court to rehear the case. Becker said he would appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court if he loses again.

"The 9th Circuit upheld the rights of Mexican students celebrating a holiday of another country over U.S. student proudly supporting this country," Becker said.

Cinco de Mayo marks the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, when Mexican troops defeated a French army of Napoleon III, then considered the mightiest military in the world. It is considered a bigger holiday in the U.S., celebrating Mexican heritage with parades and revelry in many major cities.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/US/t-shirt-fl...#ixzz2ueHmh9aP
    (sigh)...California.....
    Last edited by okie52; 2/28/2014 at 03:15 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Court OKs School ban on American Flag on cinco de mayo.

The school is setting themselves up for a never-ending litany of legal action by parents who find any thing offensive that some how finds its way into the school. I also think they left themselves open to further legal action by not banning shirts with the flags of Mexico or any other nation.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

So will they ban Mexico themed clothing for Independence Day?

I guess if you don't like what somebody is wearing, there you can start a riot over it, and the school will then ban it. That how it works?

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jiminy View Post

I guess if you don't like what somebody is wearing, there you can start a riot over it, and the school will then ban it. That how it works?
    Cinco de Mayo is not Independence Day for Mexico....They won a battle with the French and stole their accordions.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    (sigh)...California.....
    William Becker, one of the lawyers representing the students, said he plans to ask a special 11-judge panel of the appeals court to rehear the case. Becker said he would appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court if he loses again.

"The 9th Circuit upheld the rights of Mexican students celebrating a holiday of another country over U.S. student proudly supporting this country," Becker said.
    this has nothing to do with the non-existent rights of Mexican students to celebrate a holiday

just like there is no right to wear an American flag t-shirt. this would be like banning OU or OSU shirts because some idiot students start fights about it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    this has nothing to do with the non-existent rights of Mexican students to celebrate a holiday

just like there is no right to wear an American flag t-shirt. this would be like banning OU or OSU shirts because some idiot students start fights about it.

And why would illegals sponging off american taxpayers feel the need to start fights over someone wearing an American flag.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jiminy View Post

we'll never know...until they have year round school..but that'll never happen and I would PRAY TO GOD we'd be off for a NATIONAL holiday that day.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

My kid wouldn't go to school that day.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

And why would illegals sponging off american taxpayers feel the need to start fights over someone wearing an American flag.
    always with the illegals. you know most of them are most likely anchor babies anyway

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

always with the illegals. you know most of them are most likely anchor babies anyway
    Guilty by association.

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

I have no idea if they are anchors or illegals...just an educated guess that many of them are illegals.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

I have no idea if they are anchors or illegals...just an educated guess that many of them are illegals.
    The fact that they had to come up with the term "anchor babies" should tell you what you need to know.

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    The fact that they had to come up with the term "anchor babies" should tell you what you need to know.
    Heh heh...aren't we lucky...

vCash

none of this is the school's problem. their problem is that tempers flare on Cinco de Mayo.

you guys can continue the "i hate Mexicans" circle-jerk you guys like to have though

vCash

none of this is the school's problem. their problem is that tempers flare on Cinco de Mayo.

you guys can continue the "i hate Mexicans" circle-jerk you guys like to have though
    Keep groveling for the illegals and their supporters....pretty soon you can look Up to a doormat.

vCash

lol...that's funny. Talk about being judgmental...who said they hate mexicans? Why NOT punish BOTH the Mexicans and "US citizens" that cause the stink...instead they tell the NON-mexicans to suck it up. Why NOT tell the Mexicans there will be NO CELEBRATION in a PUBLIC/GOVERNEMENT school? It's NOT THIS NATIONS HOLIDAY...not one government agency celebrates it (by closing) YET.

vCash

i could give a **** about Corona day or whatever they want to call it, but "rights" aren't being trampled here.

but keep trying to look like morons. you guys are great at that.

vCash

Imagine a school year without a cinco de mayo celebration....

vCash

i could give a **** about Corona day or whatever they want to call it, but "rights" aren't being trampled here.

How do you feel about dos Equis day?

What has sailed over your keen intellect is displaying an American flag on American soil at an American school paid for by American taxpayers should never be the cause of a dispute.

vCash

lol, well you keep coming back. Why not cancel the "celebration"? Do they have the "right" to have a celebration? Why choose to keep students from showing their support of their country (which they are LIVING IN) by wearing t-shirts? If other students can show their support for their "home" country by celebration ANOTHER nations holiday...so should the USA students.

There needs to be no celebration.

Again, everyone is so enamored with the Mexicans and afraid of being "racists" which you libs like to call folks that no one will actually say it. IT'S A MEXICAN (COUNTRY) HOLIDAY...we are in the United States...you think they celebrate July 4th in Mexico?