Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Russian Bear eying the Ukraine...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A1P23U20140227

We'll see how far this goes...I read the Russian tricolor was actually raised over a Ukrainian gov't HQ...what popped into my mind was "I bet the Ukrainians wish they had those nukes they handed over to the Russkies back in the early 90s". Without proper maintenance, they wouldn't work now anyways, but still...what do they have to hold back the Big Bear if Mother Russia decides to pounce? Will the US do anything? I saw a headline that mentioned BHO warning something or other, but can't find it now...
    Last edited by ouwasp; 2/27/2014 at 04:22 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 diverdog's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Russian Bear eying the Ukraine...

Quote Originally Posted by ouwasp View Post
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A1P23U20140227

We'll see how far this goes...I read the Russian tricolor was actually raised over a Ukrainian gov't HQ...what popped into my mind was "I bet the Ukrainians wish they had those nukes they handed over to the Russkies back in the early 90s". Without proper maintenance, they wouldn't work now anyways, but still...what do they have to hold back the Big Bear if Mother Russia decides to pounce? Will the US do anything? I saw a headline that mentioned BHO warning something or other, but can't find it now...
    The Ukraine is a corrupt cesspool. Let Russia have them. We do not need that headache.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerProphet's Avatar
    vCash

The Black Sea fleet is based out of Sevastopol, so the Ruskies have a legitimate interest in the Crimea. What can the US and EU do, the Ukrainian government is close to default...should we float them a loan. Military adventurism sounds like a real stupid idea.

Administrator
    vCash

I try to be as reasonable as possible when it comes to Obama, but he made a big mistake today. I think his foreign policy is terrible to start with, but he would have been much better off keeping his mouth shut on this one. Warning Russia not to invade the Ukraine is a mistake, and frankly, something we aren't prepared to deal with. Whomever advised him that making a statement on this issue was a good idea should be punched in the throat, then fired. In that order.

We need to leave Ukraine the hell alone. If the EU wants to be involved, then have at it, otherwise, we need to sit this one out.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

I hope we sit onthe sideline for this one.

Lots of folks in eastern Ukraine like the Ruskies.

I imagine the Ukraine will split in two (or more) like several other eastern European nations.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

Never Fear Superstupid is here!

http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Our vital national security interests are not at stake here and I know of no one advocating any sort of .military intervention.

But it is worth noting the Russians are on prowl again. Cue up The Empire Strikes Back theme song..

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 diverdog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I try to be as reasonable as possible when it comes to Obama, but he made a big mistake today. I think his foreign policy is terrible to start with, but he would have been much better off keeping his mouth shut on this one. Warning Russia not to invade the Ukraine is a mistake, and frankly, something we aren't prepared to deal with. Whomever advised him that making a statement on this issue was a good idea should be punched in the throat, then fired. In that order.

We need to leave Ukraine the hell alone. If the EU wants to be involved, then have at it, otherwise, we need to sit this one out.
    Great post.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Pull our ambassador. Boycott the G-8 meeting in Solchi. Freeze Russian accounts in the
    US especially those with ties to the Russian Mob.

Obama will do none of these but instead will play Betty White in her role in the Snickers commercial.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 3/1/2014 at 10:54 AM.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Pull our ambassador. Boycott the G-8 meeting in Solchi. Freeze Russian accounts in the
    US especially those with ties to the Russian Mob.

Obama will do none of these but instead will play Betty White in her role in the Snickers commercial.
    Completely agree.

I am firmly against any US involvement in this situation, but I also realize that Russia can't be allowed to simply walk in and declare part of a sovereign nation as theirs. The precedent could lead to a lot of unwanted aggression from others.

Not only should military involvement not be on the table, it shouldn't be in the same room as the table. However, the things you mention are the best ways to use "diplomacy" to send a message without getting the country involved.

I did hear today that the US, England and Canada have elected not to attend the G8 meetings, so that's at least a start. I'm not sure what the White House is waiting on in regard to your other suggestions.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

There isn't any part of the Ukraine that anyone would want. The western part is so impoverished, that they were desperate to get back to the "good ole days" when they were part of Poland and Rumania. Even if Russia lets them go, I sincerely doubt anyone in the EU is actively going to embrace them back.

I think next you will see Putin go after Belarus, but I don't think he has the big brass ones to go after the Baltic States. That would pretty much tie our hands up in defending them as they are a member of NATO.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    There isn't any part of the Ukraine that anyone would want. The western part is so impoverished, that they were desperate to get back to the "good ole days" when they were part of Poland and Rumania. Even if Russia lets them go, I sincerely doubt anyone in the EU is actively going to embrace them back.

I think next you will see Putin go after Belarus, but I don't think he has the big brass ones to go after the Baltic States. That would pretty much tie our hands up in defending them as they are a member of NATO.
    A month ago I would have thought your comment (regarding Putin and Belarus) was crazy. Now, I think that is a reasonable concern. Afterall, he pretty much broke every international law and even his countries own treaty with the Ukraine when he sent troops in, there's no reason to really believe he wouldn't go after more.

vCash

A month ago I would have thought your comment (regarding Putin and Belarus) was crazy. Now, I think that is a reasonable concern. Afterall, he pretty much broke every international law and even his countries own treaty with the Ukraine when he sent troops in, there's no reason to really believe he wouldn't go after more.
    The guy, whether intentional or not, is acting like Mussolini. He is much smarter about it, having come up through the KGB, but the ambition is still there. The whole crap with Georgia 5 years ago pretty much assured him that NATO wasn't going to do anything about him invading his former republics. If George W Bush isn't going to go to war with you when you do something that audacious, then there isn't a chance any other president would do it over the Ukraine. (Of course, I think W would have pulled the trigger on the Ukraine since what Georgia was doing was something America couldn't support).

Basically, post-Georgia/post-Bush, my thinking is that he is funding/training agitators to give him reasons to move in and protect Russian interests. That is why I think he'll pull off another semi-bloodless invasion on Belarus. What worries me is "Victor's Disease". If he gets greedy then this could escalate as fast as Hitler invading Poland.

vCash

Sarah Palin getting a nice "I told you so" redemption. Not such a crazy person afterall, eh main stream media?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4880874.html

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigTip View Post
    Sarah Palin getting a nice "I told you so" redemption. Not such a crazy person afterall, eh main stream media?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4880874.html
    She is taking credit for a short term statement that came true in the long term. It is the difference in me saying OU will win a national title in football [implied this year] vs OU will win another national title in football [implied future].

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

She is taking credit for a short term statement that came true in the long term. It is the difference in me saying OU will win a national title in football [implied this year] vs OU will win another national title in football [implied future].
    5-6 years isn't really that long term...

vCash

Completely agree.

I am firmly against any US involvement in this situation, but I also realize that Russia can't be allowed to simply walk in and declare part of a sovereign nation as theirs. The precedent could lead to a lot of unwanted aggression from others.

Not only should military involvement not be on the table, it shouldn't be in the same room as the table. However, the things you mention are the best ways to use "diplomacy" to send a message without getting the country involved.

I did hear today that the US, England and Canada have elected not to attend the G8 meetings, so that's at least a start. I'm not sure what the White House is waiting on in regard to your other suggestions.
    Couple of points here...I agree that we don't need to be involved, short of
    someone's mention about boycotting Sochi and using economic sanctions
    on Russia. Obama's hand was sort of forced by the internal politics of our
    two party system...the right yelping about doing something, moderates sitting
    on their hands, the hawkish left yelping about doing something. That said, it
    looks like Putin wants to reunite the USSR, one failed state at a time and he's
    doing it with Stalin-like activity.

Turning the economic screws on a weak Russian economy will damage them,
    eventually...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    5-6 years isn't really that long term...
    For us, no. In Politics, it is an eternity.

vCash

For us, no. In Politics, it is an eternity.
    Given the short attention span of the American voter this is probably true...just like Obama stating marriage was between a man and a woman in 2008......

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerProphet's Avatar
    vCash

Basically, post-Georgia/post-Bush, my thinking is that he is funding/training agitators to give him reasons to move in and protect Russian interests. That is why I think he'll pull off another semi-bloodless invasion on Belarus. What worries me is "Victor's Disease". If he gets greedy then this could escalate as fast as Hitler invading Poland.
    So Western backed funding/training agitators into Russia's sphere of influence is to be ignored. The hypocrisy of the Western nations was summed up best by the freak show that is John Kerry, "[Y] just don't in the 21st century behave in 19th century fashion by invading another country on completely trumped up pre-text," what a crock of sh!t that is. How the McCains, Graham's, and Nulands of the world can ever be taken seriously is beyond me.