Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Why Lone Federal Judges Shouldn't Be Overturning The Voters

Ton Loc, I agree with most of what you said. I think the nation is moving toward
    approving gay marriage. I actually think that when judges impose their will on the
    electorate it slows down the process of people changing their views on their own.

One of the most divisive issues our society has faced is the abortion battle. It will
    never be resolved by the courts. I actually think that abortion would have been
    legal to some extent in most states had the issue been left up to a vote of the citizens
    and we wouldn't have the deep divisions we have now.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 3/4/2014 at 02:04 AM.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    It is absurdly stupid to say the ban is "clearly unconstitutional". It has been the law of the land for 200 years and not overturned by any judges during that period. Even the all-mighty Constitutional scholar himself, Barak Obama, supported DOMA up until 2 years ago when he suddenly had a change of heart for political reasons. Even now the SCOTUS waffled on the DOMA review and the provisions they struck down were by a 5-4 split vote. So to say it is clearly unconstitutional is just your biased opinion which in turn is based on an elitist attitude.
    has it been the law for 200 years? when does the Constitution mention marriage? were the feds involved before the IRS? what did Thomas Jefferson say about same sex marriage?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

what did Thomas Jefferson say about same sex marriage?
    He said it's cool as long as they legalize pot.
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerBBall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa_Fireman View Post
    He said it's cool as long as they legalize pot.
    That is why he was a great man.
    Why doesn't he ever drop to the turf and sizzle like bacon when he scores? Is that too much to ask? -CobraKai on Adrian Peterson

vCash

more activist judges:

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/03/...-marriage-ban/

i like this part:

Judge Friedman was nominated by President Ronald Reagan as a federal judge in the Eastern District of Michigan in February 1988.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

Or Mr. de Toqueville could have organized a grass roots education and voter mobilization movement and changed the unjust law by democratic legislative processes. The reason we are ruled by non- elected beaurocrats and judges is because the legislative branch has been decimated by repeated power grabs by the other two branches of government.
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but this is absolutely, finger-pointingly hilarious, considering the quote is lifted DIRECTLY from the chapter in "Democracy in America" where de Tocqueville is essentially calling the youthful United States a piece of crap because it had no checks and balances against a tyranny of the majority.

A tyranny of the majority being an unchecked, populist driven representative body, otherwise known as the Legislature.

Interesting, wouldn't you say?
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    more activist judges:

i like this part:
    I'm seeing "activist judges" being defined by any judge who does not support conservative positions. Not a word was spoken when the Supreme Court delivered the most activist judge ruling maybe ever - Citizens United. Unleashing a flood of money from who knows where to sway elections and buy entire state legislatures and the governor. The judiciary is in place to protect the rights of American citizens from having their rights taken away by the majority. Federal judges are appointed for life so they can judge by law not by politics, even if you disagree with their rulings.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner8th View Post
    I'm seeing "activist judges" being defined by any judge who does not support conservative positions. Not a word was spoken when the Supreme Court delivered the most activist judge ruling maybe ever - Citizens United. Unleashing a flood of money from who knows where to sway elections and buy entire state legislatures and the governor. The judiciary is in place to protect the rights of American citizens from having their rights taken away by the majority. Federal judges are appointed for life so they can judge by law not by politics, even if you disagree with their rulings.
    That wasn't a conservative ruling. Wall Street contributes as much if not more to the Democrats as they do to the GOP. Labor Unions contribute almost all to the Democrats. Big money doesn't favor either party. They favor the ruling class in DC. and it is a perfect example of the courts placing the wishes of special interests over the welfare of general society as a whole.

So, if the Supreme Court strikes down the lone activist judges' ruling on gay marriage will
    you then admit they were acting in an activist, elitist way?

When judges negate the will of the people as frequently as they do now they erode the faith and confidence and respect of the people for the judicial branch of government.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

That wasn't a conservative ruling. Wall Street contributes as much if not more to the Democrats as they do to the GOP. Labor Unions contribute almost all to the Democrats. Big money doesn't favor either party. They favor the ruling class in DC. and it is a perfect example of the courts placing the wishes of special interests over the welfare of general society as a whole.

So, if the Supreme Court strikes down the lone activist judges' ruling on gay marriage will
    you then admit they were acting in an activist, elitist way?

When judges negate the will of the people as frequently as they do now they erode the faith and confidence and respect of the people for the judicial branch of government.
    Where do you get this stuff at?

It wasn't a conservative ruling? Since when?

Majority:
    Kennedy, Roberts, Scalia, Alito and Thomas

Dissent:
    Stevens, Ginsburg, Breyer and Sotomayo

Big money greatly helps conservatives - the Kochs and Sheldon Adelson.

An ABC–Washington Post poll conducted February 4–8, 2010, showed that 80% of those surveyed opposed (and 65% strongly opposed) the Citizens United ruling, which the poll described as saying "corporations and unions can spend as much money as they want to help political candidates win elections". Additionally, 72% supported "an effort by Congress to reinstate limits on corporate and union spending on election campaigns". The poll showed large majority support from Democrats, Republicans and independents.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    more activist judges:

i like this part:
    who knows, perhaps he was nominated as a least offensive candidate for the left leaning MI at the time. While President's may want to nominate like minded,d they may not get
    approved, except until now that Lying Bastard Reid changed the rules to ram down their candidates while they still have a majority...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

Apparently the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans overturned the Texas District Federal judge's ruling that struck down Texas' new abortion restrictions. Now it appears the 4 liberal members of the SCOTUS are very anxious to review(and most likeley attempt to overturn)the 5th Circuit Court's ruling.

This series of events seems to indicate to me that the judiciary is divided along political lines as much as the general electorate and their rulings really aren't based in law or the Constitution but rather on their political bias. Seeing that this is the case why in the hell should these elitist judges personal political opinions and views outweigh the will of the electorate.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa_Fireman View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but this is absolutely, finger-pointingly hilarious, considering the quote is lifted DIRECTLY from the chapter in "Democracy in America" where de Tocqueville is essentially calling the youthful United States a piece of crap because it had no checks and balances against a tyranny of the majority.

A tyranny of the majority being an unchecked, populist driven representative body, otherwise known as the Legislature.

Interesting, wouldn't you say?
    Care to provide direct quotes where de Toqueville calls young America " a piece of crap" ?

So I'll count you as one of the individuals who prefers to be ruled by tyranny of the judicial elitist majority The judiciary is just as politically driven as the electorate if not more so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner8th View Post
    Where do you get this stuff at?

It wasn't a conservative ruling? Since when?

Majority:
    Kennedy, Roberts, Scalia, Alito and Thomas

Dissent:
    Stevens, Ginsburg, Breyer and Sotomayo

Big money greatly helps conservatives - the Kochs and Sheldon Adelson.

An ABC–Washington Post poll conducted February 4–8, 2010, showed that 80% of those surveyed opposed (and 65% strongly opposed) the Citizens United ruling, which the poll described as saying "corporations and unions can spend as much money as they want to help political candidates win elections". Additionally, 72% supported "an effort by Congress to reinstate limits on corporate and union spending on election campaigns". The poll showed large majority support from Democrats, Republicans and independents.
    Everything that comes from the GOP and so-called conservative side doesn't mean it isn't a progressive, big government action or ruling. BTW, i think the campaign finance law did not include labor unions in it's contribution restrictions so as a law it sucked but I would have preferred a legislative fix instead of a judicial ruling that in essence was the same as legislating from the bench.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I cited that ruling earlier in the thread. The question I now propose is which judge or group of judges were following the Constitution and which judge or group of judges were ruling based on their personal political biases?

Was it the lone Federal District judge who originally struck down the law?

Was it the Circuit Court of Appeals( which ruled unanimously, btw) that reinstated the law?

Or will it be the 4 liberal judges on the SCOTUS who are chomping at the bit to overturn the 5th circuit court's ruling?

My assertion is that since these judges are all over the place with their rulings there is no possible way they all are making rulings based on the Constitution. My further assertion is that they are ALL politically motivated meaning their opinions should never usurp the will of the majority of the electorate.

So essentially you are replacing the so-called tyranny of the majority with the tyranny of the elitist judiciary, most of whom operate on purely political biases.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 3/29/2014 at 08:42 AM.