Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: 2015 football commit Safety JAMILE JOHNSON

Quote Originally Posted by OU_Sooners75 View Post
    8timechamp...

I am arguing the opinion of JKM that players regularly gain 40-50 pounds from their Junior year in high school to the time they graduate college.

Coaching high school ball, I can say with confidence, most kids that go on to play college ball, do not gain 40-50 pounds from Junior year to the time they graduate college.

I will say that if their position requires it, and/or they make a position change, then I can see it happening more regularly. But on average, it does not.

And when some guy just throws out the opinion that a DB in high school will gain 40-50 pounds, just shows us his lack of knowledge when throwing numbers out there.

What cracks me up the most is he feels that a DB should weigh around 165 his junuior year in high school...LOL
    I really can't address the DBs with any real background, but I also coach (D-line) at the high school level (going on my 6th year). I'm not a paid full-time coach, it's something I do to help the school and because I have fun doing it, so I am by no means an "expert". It's not uncommon at all for a lineman to add 40+ pounds from the end of their junior year to the end of their college career. As you probably know, the biggest kids end up having to lose weight...regain muscle...before they ever even see the field at the collegiate level.

As for JKM, I just don't get the feeling that he's trying to do anything more than have a discussion. JKM certainly understands the game far more than the average fan, but I don't take his posts as "I'm right and all others are wrong". Plus, he's been around (as have you) long enough to know he isn't like that.

Eh, I'm kinda done with this one. We probably spent far too little time discussing the actual commit in this thread...but, that's what we do!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OU_Sooners75 View Post
    To be honest, it didn't seem like bad weight. I was far from fat.
    Once again, I'm not necessarily saying you were. I also understand your perception based on kids today. When I look at my 20 year old yearbook there are maybe 10 people out of 1000 that you would consider seriously overweight. You look at yearbook today and you don't get off of the 1st page. What this means to me is you have more kids carrying bad weight forward into those growth spurts. So you are not going to see as much weight gain as body change in those kids. However, when you look at pictures of THIS kid, you see he is already around 13-16% as he has decent vascularity. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the kid was already almost 18 based on how he looks.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Eh, I'm kinda done with this one. We probably spent far too little time discussing the actual commit in this thread...but, that's what we do!
    Heresy!! We've had 178 page threads on blank topics!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU_Sooners75's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I hate the off season! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bornnbredou View Post

and before you tear into me remember, BOOMER SOONER!

Skip Bayless, is that you?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    Heresy!! We've had 178 page threads on blank topics!!!
    Hell, we've eclipsed 200 on Deleted threads!

It's how we roll.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Hell, we've eclipsed 200 on Deleted threads!

It's how we roll.
    Yes, but that didn't break the board like the mime topics did

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

oh those mime topics were fun.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    It is about "WHEN" and "Body Type". I had a long as crap post that got eaten about the differences between those who gain weight easily and those who can't gain a pound. I wasn't going to rewrite it just for this thread.

In general:
    1. Unknown Age - we have no idea which part of the growth curve he is in. For example, I was basically a year ahead of everyone -> 130 (FR-14), 135 (SO-15), 155 (JR - 16), 165 (SR - 17), 187 (FR College - 18). Notice there are some huge jumps in there based on age (and I played 4+ hours of basketball every day).
    2. Unknown Body Type - Some kids gain weight easily and some can't gain anything. Based on how he looks, he resembles a meso/endomorph and could (depending on which) gain weight easily. Colvin and Straight (in your examples) were ectomorphs and fall into the don't gain weight easily category. Peterson was a pure mesomorph.
    3. No idea if that 190 is correct. Lighter guys tend to lie about their weight and push it up (which honestly I'd say was the case with both Strait and Colvin).
    1. The only birthdate i could find was 1996 which would put him at 19? I just can't believe that is right.
    3. His senior year, he said he was 6'1 205, but he reported at Texas Tech at 6'0 192. What is 15 pounds between friends? If his age is 18 and he added 13 that would put 148 to 192 in 3 years which is about right. If he is 19, then I'd assume that the weights were right (160 and 205) and they leaned him out over the summer. I still think he is going to struggle to keep that weight down enough to stay at corner.