Yahoo - Former Texas Tech QB Baker Mayfield explains his decision to leave the Red Ra

Former Texas Tech quarterback Baker Mayfield said he didn’t feel like he was on the best terms with coach Kliff Kingsbury. Mayfield, who announced his intention to enroll at Oklahoma, told ESPN’s Jake Trotter during a Q&A that he didn’t think he had the support of his head coach, which is why he opted to transfer. “I mean, he was shocked, although he was quoted saying he knew one of the quarterbacks was going to transfer. He was shocked to think it was me leaving. And he was saying how he had been behind me the whole time. I had no idea because of the miscommunication and the lack of communication, really. And not knowing what he was thinking. I mean, if you gave me another chance to go through it again, I still wouldn’t think he was behind me, and I was his guy the whole time. I know he did give me the opportunity to start in the first place, and I’m thankful for that. I worked my butt off to get there, and I thank for him for taking a chance on me — starting a walk-on quarterback. But after that, when he was rotating us, there was no explanation.” Mayfield, a walk-on, won the starting job after incumbent Michael Brewer suffered an injury that kept him out for an extended period of time. Mayfield started the Red Raiders’ first five games – all wins – and completed 65 percent of his passes for 1,488 yards and eight touchdowns in that span. But then he missed four games, his relationship with Kingsbury soured and didn’t regain his starting role until the regular season finale against Texas. Then, he didn’t play in the team’s bowl game against Arizona State, which prompted his decision to transfer. When I got hurt [Week 5 at Kansas], there was no communication between me and my coach [Kingsbury]. When I got healthy, I didn’t know why I wasn’t playing right away. At that time, we were losing a couple games in a row. I was still clueless as to why I wasn’t playing. That was really frustrating for me because I started the first five games and we won. So, I just didn’t really know exactly what he was thinking or what the situation was. So that happened. And then going from a week-to-week basis not knowing whether I was going to play or not and how short the leash would be if I had an average half, how quickly I would be pulled or anything like that. It was making me uncomfortable, and I just didn’t want to be there anymore. I loved Lubbock and I loved my teammates. But going through that and then them tell me they’re still working on a scholarship for next fall, and I wouldn’t have one for this semester coming up. It was all that. Texas Tech has yet to grant Mayfield’s transfer waiver and even though he was a walk-on, the school can still restrict his release. Per NCAA rules, Mayfield would have to sit out a season anyway unless he’s granted a waiver, which he is currently seeking from the NCAA. “I think I have a good case, and I think I should have a chance because I walked on to Texas Tech, I didn’t have anything paid for; I was not recruited. … And so, for them to have the final say as to where I can go for my future, it’s kinda ridiculous in my mind because they didn’t pay for anything, and I didn’t even have a scholarship promised to me for this next semester.” Even if Mayfield is allowed to participate immediately, walking on at Oklahoma is going to be no simple feat. The Sooners have five scholarship quarterbacks, including Trevor Knight, who came into his own during the Sugar Bowl, was ultimately named the game’s MVP and should be the starter in the spring. But Mayfield isn’t deterred. He’s beaten the odds before and looks forward to a chance to do it again. I’m not scared of competition at all. I like Trevor [Knight]. He’s a nice guy. And I know Blake Bell is a big dude and has some good ability. I watched from the sideline [as he] beat us. He played one of his best games against Texas Tech. But I mean, I’m not scared of that at all. It’s not just about the football, too. Oklahoma is just a better academic opportunity as well. It’s just a better school. It’s just a better opportunity for me at this point.” - - - - - - - Graham Watson is the editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email her at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter! Follow @YahooDrSaturday

More...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Yahoo - Former Texas Tech QB Baker Mayfield explains his decision to leave the Re

Still seems like he should go somewhere else but I guess he knows what he's doing.