Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Re: OU recruiting taller receivers

I like the idea of having physical receivers that can block downfield because we will always have a slot guy that can get loose over the middle. Wouldn't any school take wrs that avg 6`5 as opposed to 5`11 if there isn't a massive discrepancy in speed and running good routes? What is the downside to getting tall fellas on the outside?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    What is the downside to getting tall fellas on the outside?
    Probably can't hit a free throw to save his life . . .

vCash

It's cyclic. Let some team have a huge year with a bunch of smaller receivers and watch the other teams beat the bushes to find all the smurf receivers they can.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    I like the idea of having physical receivers that can block downfield because we will always have a slot guy that can get loose over the middle. Wouldn't any school take wrs that avg 6`5 as opposed to 5`11 if there isn't a massive discrepancy in speed and running good routes? What is the downside to getting tall fellas on the outside?
    I think any school would take a tall receiver over a short one if all things were equal. The problem is, the taller a reciver is, the less likely he can move like a shorter guy. So, over the course of time, more 'short' receivers get signed. We've just had a really good run on taller guys this year.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    It's cyclic. Let some team have a huge year with a bunch of smaller receivers and watch the other teams beat the bushes to find all the smurf receivers they can.
    Yep. That's true for just about every position. If a team wins with a smaller, more agile offensive line, then that will be the trend...until those teams are beaten with a massive, bulldozing defensive line...then they'll go back. Very cyclical.

vCash

Yep, there might not be a bigger group of "followers" than football coaches. Monkey see, monkey do!

...and yes, football coaches are much worse than other coaches!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

We've always gone after big receivers. Our problem has been effort and the ability to catch the ball. I'd say probably the most complete tall guy we've had was either brandon jones or travis wilson.

Malcolm Kelly and Dejuan Miller were great on the 6 plays they caught a pass, but they made you want to strangle them on the other 59 offensive plays.

Chaney, Tennell, Huggins couldn't catch the ball

Fred Strong had academic issues.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    We've always gone after big receivers. Our problem has been effort and the ability to catch the ball. I'd say probably the most complete tall guy we've had was either brandon jones or travis wilson.

Malcolm Kelly and Dejuan Miller were great on the 6 plays they caught a pass, but they made you want to strangle them on the other 59 offensive plays.

And I thought Tennell was going to be a beast! He had crazy athleticism, but I never saw him play in high school or I might have known better.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Administrator
    vCash

Yeah, I remember when we got a commit from Justin McKay, and I thought "it's going to be nice to have a little height in the red zone" (although McKay wasn't crazy tall...he's 6'2")...then, well he ended up at Kansas.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Yeah, I remember when we got a commit from Justin McKay, and I thought "it's going to be nice to have a little height in the red zone" (although McKay wasn't crazy tall...he's 6'2")...then, well he ended up at Kansas.
    Yeah, I was excited about this fool too! So...I love to follow recruiting and get all fired up when we land these supposedly awesome recruits, but it goes to show ya never know???

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post

had such high hopes for Brandon Jones and Travis Wilson

Wilson seemed like he came out of nowhere in 2004 when i thought Brandon Jones would, but didn't seem to do much in 2005 outside of that reverse at UCLA

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    had such high hopes for Brandon Jones and Travis Wilson

Wilson seemed like he came out of nowhere in 2004 when i thought Brandon Jones would, but didn't seem to do much in 2005 outside of that reverse at UCLA
    While they only average catching the ball, they also were really good blockers. I'm just not a fan of one dimensional guys (which is what everyone else on that list was). Some could block but not catch, some catch but not block, etc

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I noticed this trend earlier this year when our little WRs were having trouble getting free in coverage and getting beat up to boot. Your average corner is probably going to run a bit under 6 feet...You need the quick, agile guys who can turn their hips and direction on a dime, and normally those aren't the big guys (Sherman of the Seahawks being a notable exception), so big WRS are great just for mismatches they create in the secondary. Plus the bigger they are, the stronger they usually are so they can fight through jams and holds, etc... If you can find one who can run like the wind and has a good head on his shoulders, you go after him.
    Last edited by EatLeadCommie; 1/25/2014 at 05:26 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Could it be that WR is an exceptionally hard to scout position because high school arms don't compare to college qb passing?

Plus in my personal experience, I found out real quick I couldn't get away with stuff in college that I did in h.s. as far as throwing the ball went. the difference in db's was off the chart.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

What defines a taller receiver? Because I thought for one year Justin Brown wasn't that bad.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 oupride's Avatar
    vCash

The addition of Justin Brown was great. I am looking forward to some taller receivers.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Yeah, I was excited about this fool too! So...I love to follow recruiting and get all fired up when we land these supposedly awesome recruits, but it goes to show ya never know???
    For as long as I've followed recruiting, you'd think I would have learned my lesson. NOPE. I still get excited about certain players, and of course eventually disappointed. It's a good thing I'm not on the staff, I would SUCK.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D View Post
    What defines a taller receiver? Because I thought for one year Justin Brown wasn't that bad.
    Yeah, good question.

I've always thought 6'2"+ was "taller" for a receiver. This year, OU has 3 guys over 6'5" committed, so maybe that's the standard...anything over 6'5" is officially "tall".

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

We've always recruited taller receivers, but sometimes the HS coach is not totally honest. Shepard was listed at 6'4" in HS.