Thread: Pick Routes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Pick Routes

Every 3rd grade flag football team runs them so it amazes me that officiating crews are too stupid to see them and call the penalty.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 landrun's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Pick Routes

They see them. It's just part of the game and you have to figure out how to defend them instead of whining about them like the Stoops boyzzzz do.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU_Sooners75's Avatar
    vCash
    Pick plays are not allowed. And three big pass plays they all resulted because of pick plays.

It was justified!

Quote Originally Posted by bornnbredou View Post

and before you tear into me remember, BOOMER SOONER!

Skip Bayless, is that you?
    Posted from iOS app

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okie35's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by landrun View Post
    They see them. It's just part of the game and you have to figure out how to defend them instead of whining about them like the Stoops boyzzzz do.
    You're joking right... they can't be defended when you're blocking a defender that's supposed to covering a certain receiver in man... WE RUN MAN COVERAGE... and they've been doing it since the 1st quarter
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

vCash

Hey dragon breath, you are either ignorant of the rules or just taking cheap shots at the coaches. Baylor doesn't even try to disguise the picks.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

For some reason certain rules are enforced more than others. Another example in the game was the "Bush Push" that gave them a touchdown. By rule, a penalty should have been called.

I hate to say it, but we need to start taking advantage of these things. It feels like we don't exploit the grey areas of things enough when it comes to play on the field.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 landrun's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by HolaKyle View Post
    For some reason certain rules are enforced more than others. Another example in the game was the "Bush Push" that gave them a touchdown. By rule, a penalty should have been called.

I hate to say it, but we need to start taking advantage of these things. It feels like we don't exploit the grey areas of things enough when it comes to play on the field.
    HolaKyle is the only one who get's it!
    (btw, HolaKyle, thank you for your weekly updates!! )

Pick routs are exactly like the Oline pushing in the back. It is technically illegal but happens in every single game.
    Yes. OU does it too.

So, stop whining about it. It makes you look like a child. But when you're desperate and have no answer, I guess it is what you have to resort to.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

ah...my question on these, again, I coached HS basketball not football so I'm probably wrong...

but just like bball in man/man coverage SOMETIMES it's a good idea to "switch". After seeing the play stoops was pizzed about I thought, why didn't the outside def just take the inside receiver after the pick, he saw it coming...to me that is where the def needed to communicate (if it was happening all night) and say hey we'll switch. I know it isn't as easy as that, but at least there might have been a defender withing 5 yrds of the guys....

yes/no..I'm crazier than a pet coon?
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I thought they got rid of the pushing rule this year?
    "No man is so small that he can not be a giant on an internet forum."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash

Pick routs are exactly like the Oline pushing in the back. It is technically illegal but happens in every single game.
    Yes. OU does it too.

So, stop whining about it. It makes you look like a child. But when you're desperate and have no answer, I guess it is what you have to resort to.

So, which rules should the teams follow?
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    ah...my question on these, again, I coached HS basketball not football so I'm probably wrong...

but just like bball in man/man coverage SOMETIMES it's a good idea to "switch". After seeing the play stoops was pizzed about I thought, why didn't the outside def just take the inside receiver after the pick, he saw it coming...to me that is where the def needed to communicate (if it was happening all night) and say hey we'll switch. I know it isn't as easy as that, but at least there might have been a defender withing 5 yrds of the guys....

yes/no..I'm crazier than a pet coon?
    Switching is done more in the pros than college. The problem is that you basically can dictate your WR - Defender matchup by picking off the best corner and keeping him on the low route. The bigger issue was that we had a safety over the top who didn't help the picked corner (which is why you have a safety over the top).

vCash

Yes. OU does it too.

I understand it happens all the time that's why I said that 3rd grade flag football teams run pick plays as part of their offense. The difference is that it should be called when its blatant like what Baylor was doing. Those were obvious picks and deserved to get flagged. If you can't even be sneaky about it you deserve to get flagged like they did. They stopped running them after the flag so that seems to indicate they knew what they were doing and were going to keep doing it until they were called.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

You can't fault the coaches for remindung the refs that it's illegal.
    I agree with the opinion that we should have dine it more ourselves.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    You can't fault the coaches for remindung the refs that it's illegal.
    I agree with the opinion that we should have dine it more ourselves.
    Picks are a man to man thing. Most of the night Baylor was in a zone.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okie35's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by HolaKyle View Post

Thank you! I've mentioned this before. I've also said (as a joke) maybe we should start being a dirty program (like other elite ones) and let people play regardless of what they do off the field.
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew